Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 02:58:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Increasing Exhaust Efficiency -- ideas being sought  (Read 4021 times)
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2008, 07:26:46 PM »

My 92 is straight pipe. It is not noisy and I got rid of a ton of heat, especially around the transmission. Probably not for everyone, but I would not have it any other way.

This also eliminates the back pressure issue and in turn eliminates the need for an aftercooler.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2008, 07:30:24 PM »

My 92 is straight pipe. It is not noisy and I got rid of a ton of heat, especially around the transmission. Probably not for everyone, but I would not have it any other way.

This also eliminates the back pressure issue and in turn eliminates the need for an aftercooler.

How loud is this setup?  My existing muffler is not what you would call "quiet"!
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2008, 12:02:35 AM »

Brian,

I had the same thought as Stan.  Turn your muf around and get in the front with a single 180 or two 90's.  The ex would then be a little further to the front of the bus with a single 90 but thats no biggie.

My REAL question is "just how much back pressure do you have?"  The muf flow is speced with 1, 2, or 3 inches of Hg.  OK, just where are you?  I know that all those bends are really to be avoided....no question.  BUT, if you have no appreciable back pressure you are picking fly shxx from pepper....maybe.  At any rate I would really like to know what the back pressure is so I could access how much improvement I have created if I change ANYTHING.  I hate that part where you hear "I think it was PRETTY bad...and now I think it is MUCH better.  Sure SEEMS to be STRONGER".  WRETCH!

You have done the absolutely best engine swap I can even imagine. Shocked  I want to be like you when I grow up( Roll Eyes) and I am twice your age already. Grin

Admiringly,

John

PS:  If you test the pressure at the output of your compressor turbo and then get a read on the intake manifold, would that tell you how many pounds you are dropping across the "intercoolers"?  Wouldn't a filter minder at the input to the turbo evaluate the efficiency of your filter and plumbing to that point?

Lots of power and efficiency is burried in the heat loss of the ex system before the turbo and that heat also detracts from the comfort of the bus.  Heat wrap would seem to be a "gimmie".   Wouldn't want to go through that expense if I wasn't sure my current system was as efficient as i neededn and there weren't changes in the near offing.

Some thoughts only.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 12:26:17 PM by JohnEd » Logged

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: