Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 08:23:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GM 4106 homemade tailpipe.  (Read 1825 times)
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« on: June 05, 2006, 09:07:37 PM »

Iím not sure if you guys like to see this kind of stuff, but I like to see what others are doing and how they solve their problems. I am new to bus ownership and I find these boards invaluable. Anyway, the previous owner lost the tailpipe and the exhaust shot straight to the ground. My driveway is 7/10ths of a mile of dirt/gravel uphill. Needless to say, I could not have done a better job of sweeping the gravel off than the bus did blowing the gravel off. The bus left a two foot swath of bare dirt the whole way up.† I could literally see the dust cloud being sucked up into the intake. I called a very reputable bus parts dealer and received a $67 + shipping quote for the tailpipe. I felt this one was one I would just do myself, so using some old scrap I welded one up. Total time - less than 2hrs. Here it is:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 09:10:45 PM by Barn Owl » Logged

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Nusa

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 10:07:10 PM »

Looks good. Of course, you still have to fix your driveway.
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 04:08:56 AM »

I suspect the previous owner lost the tail pipe because he scraped it off on a low driveway-- I hope your new one doesn't do the same thing, it looks like it is the lowest point under the engine. 

--Geoff

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 05:25:46 AM »

I haven't dealt with this problem yet, but it's coming up.
I think I will opt to have the exhaust come out on the left instead of the rear.
This would let me better see the exhaust in the mirror and maybe keep some of the soot off the tow car.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 09:08:18 AM »

BarnOwl,

Looks Good!

I like seeing how others solve misc issues.

I, like Len may run mine out the drivers side when I replace the pipe this year.

Without the a/c I have an almost straight shot out the side.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
gus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 07:52:19 PM »

Len

I thought about a left side pipe on my 4104 while replacing the mufflers. I decided against it after I pictured the exhaust blasting auto drivers alongside the bus at traffic lights or in heavy, slow moving traffic.

I'm still thinking about doing it at a 45* angle at the corner which wouldn't be so bad, but ground clearance is still a problem.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 08:19:28 PM »

My father wanted me to come up with a setup that would exit somewhere out the side but I donít see an easy solution for that yet. The radiator mount is low and in the way (see the last photo). The engine cradle is an obstacle for a behind the wheel exit. I would like to see photos if anyone has done a side exhaust for a 4106. Tomorrow will be my familyís first trip with the bus. We are going to do a two night trip close to home just to get a feel for things. I am hoping for a smooth trip because my wife is not totally sold on this bus thing.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 09:01:10 PM »

Looks good, but be careful of those obstructions, as mentioned, or you'll be replacing it again in short order.

On my '06 and '08, I have no problem seeing the exhaust out of my left mirror, even though it's coming out of the back. You're right, the side radiator would place the pipe WAY too low.

Good lcuk on your trip!
Brian Brown
4106-1175
4108-216

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
NCbob

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 06:58:39 AM »

While we're on the topic of Exhaust systems...has anyone used the Aero Stainless muffler on a Detroit yet?  I noticed that my muffler, though having been repaired by the previous owner, will need to be replaced by next year.  Whatever baffles are left in it the Jakes will take care of in short order...

I spoke with the folks at Aero and they tell me that their muffler will match the back pressure componant required by Detroit Diesel for their 2 strokes.  Imagine...a Detroit that sounds like it's got a Smitty muffler....I might even opt for duals!  Wink

NCbob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: