Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 19, 2014, 02:44:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well we got it home this evening  (Read 1554 times)
Bob Gil
Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net

Ignore
« on: April 05, 2008, 08:40:51 PM »

We went down and redid the fuel lines on the burnt bus today and got it running.  I was not able to get it to pull fuel from the tank as there were more problem with the lines than I had hoped for.  But I was able to figure out which lines were the main line from the fuel tank and the return line from the DD.

I could not believe that the engine was running with out a restristor valve.  But i guess the fact that it did not have a return line hooked up may be the only reason it was able to run.

I got a 1/2 inch fuel line from the can (still using the 5 gal can) to the pump and from there to the inlet side of the heads on the front of the engine than from the out let on the rear of one head back to the can.  The old bus ran a lot better but i still think it is only turning about 21oo rpm max I will have to do a little more work and see what the fuel pressure is and if the governor is set at the correct rpms.

Once again thanks for the help of many here it has helped more than you can know.

Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 08:15:33 AM »

Good job.  How far did you have to drive it with just the 5 gallon can of fuel for the tank?  Did it run good, pull good?

Did you ever post any pictures of it?
-Brian Diehl
Bob Gil

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 08:44:27 AM »

We had 30 mies to go and it only used about a 3rd of the can of fuel.

It pulled and ran better than it did before when we moved it the first part of the way.

It would run 65 on the flats but slowed down on any thing that was the slighest grade.  If you have been thur Ft. Worth Texas there is a small hill going north from the center of town from North Side Dr. to 28th Street, not sure the grade or the length but it was enough to pull us down to 47 mph.  But then I don't think it is truning over about 2100 rpms.  Every body wants to call these engine screamers and this one seams to have a slight purr and that is about all there is to it.

I figure if it had 2800 rpm's it would have more speed and power.  Back in 68 the speed limit was higher and I am sure the bus could go faster than it does now.

I forgot to add I did buy a restrictor vlave from the DD dealer and when I got to put it in it was not the correct size to fit the other fittings.  So we took a soft drink  can and cut a round section out of it to fit in the hose fitting and used a drill bit to the same size as the hole in the vlave I bought and we made a hole in the can piece and put it all together with a return line to the can and drove it home.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 04:51:17 PM by Bob Gil » Logged

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Dreamscape

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 06:12:57 PM »

Good News Bob,

Now you will have to come to TBR 2008 at Eisenhower State Park near Dennison TX in September, no exuces now!

Good luck and hope you get all the bugs out.

Paul
Bob Gil

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 07:26:54 PM »

I hope to have it going long before then.

I told the wife about that met a while back and she has not let me forget it.

NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 08:12:31 PM »

Hello Bob,
Not sure exactly what engine you are working with, but 2100 red line is the norm for most DD 2 strokes found in late model buses. 
Most -71s and -92s are set at 2100.  Some transits are set at 1800 for fuel conservation.
Unless you are running a -53, or some sort of vintage DD, 2100 is a reasonable red-line. 
They can be turned up to 2300, but that's really wringing the engine.   Could be rod throwing territory.  Shocked
An 8V71NA, or any other non-turbo'ed DD isn't going to be fast at all. 
Transit engines, even with turbos,  are slow too...because they are turned down. 
The trick is to downshift when the top speed of the next lowest gear is reached...
Figure out what red-line is in each gear.  Then, when driving the bus, if you see a hill coming up, get up a good head of steam before you reach the hill, then once the speed starts to drop off, downshift as soon as the next lower gear max speed is reached.  Don't dink around...gitrdone quickly.  Drive it like you stole it!   
A turbo engine really benefits from "spooling up" before you hit the hill.   Once your speed falls off, it's hard to get the speed back up with a 2 stroke.
No matter what you've heard about DD 2 cycles, 8V92TAs are fast....all other DD 2 strokes are not so fast.   Embarrassed
What engine do you have?  Post some pix of your coach.   
What burned on it? 
The fuel return lines allow the large volume of fuel flow to cool the injectors.  They'll run without the return line as long as it's blocked off.  Probably don't do the engine any favours.   A leaking injector would likely be quite obvious if the return line is blocked off.
Cheerio, JR
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 08:16:05 PM by NJT5047 » Logged

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Bob Gil

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 08:20:33 PM »

As you noted I have the 6V53 in this bus not sure what it is too much add ons added to it.

The upper engine compartment is what burn't all the wiring and the fuel ilnes and air duct systems.

To make it even worse I talked to the owner today and he said that there had not been a return line to the tank since he started the last conversion of it.  That has been about 10 years ago now I think.

NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 08:40:37 PM »

Well.  That's an interesting item. 
You're right on the higher red-line.  About 2800 for a 6V53.   It may be there.
The sound of a DD in a bus is misleading.   
Still, it's easy to verify.
Good luck on your project!   Looks like someone spent some money on paint and wheels in the past.    What's on the inside? 
Dallas can ID the bus...I'd bet.   Rattle his chain and see what he says.
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Bob Gil

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 08:48:08 PM »

I posted a post a while back and nobody has been able to pin point it exactly but I understand it is a GM and came with a V 6 gasser orginally.

The inside is fair needs cleaning from the smoke but not bad.  So dar every thing seams to work Genset starts and runs now I unsderstand how it works.

luvrbus

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 09:23:43 PM »

Bob, when you get the engine running right it will move that bus down the road good.We have a couple of 04 Eagles in our club and that was the engine that  came installed from the factory and they cruise all day at 65mph at 2400 rpm plus the 04 is 2or 3 ft longer and weighs more than your bus, but they have a 6 speed manual transmission and that may or may not make a difference
Bob Gil

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 06:12:09 AM »

DO I understand you they were still using this engine in the 2004 Eagles?

I did not think they had used the 6-53 in years in any thing that big.

luvrbus

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 06:18:50 AM »

Bob, Eagle used the 6v53 in the 1960s in the model 04 it is not used now  sorry
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 06:22:34 AM by luvrbus » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: