Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 09:36:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is 250 amps battery at 24 volts enough capacity?  (Read 2108 times)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2008, 08:40:10 PM »

TomC, I am going with 250AH 6 volt batteries because I found a non-Lifeline battery that is at least 25% less than the Lifeline.  This manufacturer does not have 300AH 6 volt batteries at this time.  If money was no object I would do the Discovery L16 6 volt or the Solar Star 2 volt, but money is an object.

I originally was going to do two 8Ds, but I found that four 6 volt batteries are the same price with shipping added and the same amp hours.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2008, 08:49:25 PM »

Belfert wise choice I am having trouble with 1 of the 300 amp Lifeline now and they are not a month old yet and truthfully I do not think they are any better than any other brand but I did at the time
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 08:53:11 PM by luvrbus » Logged
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 05:35:41 AM »

How does one identify a bad battery in a string?

The one good thing about Lifeline is they are still made in the USA.  Most AGM batteries are now made in China.  Unfortunately, the ones I am considering are made in China.  I like to buy made in the USA where practical, but $500 additional for Lifeline isn't in the budget right now.

If I want to stick with 8Ds instead of lighter 6 volts I can get Deka batteries made in the USA locally for not much more than ordering the Chinese batteries.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 06:23:44 AM »

Anybody know anything about these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Federal-Gel-Tech-8-D-Battery-Deep-Cycyle-Marine-RV-TRuc_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ40019QQihZ014QQitemZ330197920133QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

It's  a very good price if they are not made from tar & tin foil. doesn't specify shipping costs either but we could probably get bobofthenorth to freight them down for us!  Grin Grin

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Sojourner

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 07:10:37 AM »

Always remember the law of physic of Series and Parallel Battery:

A series circuit provides only one path for electrons to follow.
Whenever you add batteries in series equal the voltage time’s battery voltage but ampere hours still is the same as one given battery.

A parallel circuit provides alternate paths for current to follow.
Whenever you add batteries in parallel equal ampere hours times battery amp/hour but voltage is the same as one given battery.

Example;
Series…..6v + 6v + 6v + 6v = 24v but ampere remain the same as the weakest battery

Parallel…250a + 250a + 250a + 250a = 1000 ampere/hours but voltage remains the same as the weakest battery.

So you need 16 times 6v at 250a/h to achieved 24v at 1000a/h.

If you know about the water pressure & flow & volume then:
Voltage is as water pressure
Ampere is as water flow
Wattage is as water volume

Bottom line is if any brand new (never used) battery is not as fresh as others such as manufactured date or size or brand or stores shelve life condition …..The battery’s output will not be what as labeled specification.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 07:44:08 AM »

From what I have learned, I would stay away from Gel cell batteries.  They are much more sensitive to discharge and charging cycles.  What I like about AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries is that you can charge them as fast as you can pump in the amps so long as you don't over volt them, you can adjust the charger so both wet and AGM batteries have the same charging rate, and they don't require any maintenance-except to maybe make sure the terminals are tight and clean.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2008, 08:50:21 PM »

I am going to have to reconsider my battery plans.  The 6 volt AGM batteries I was looking are listed as 250AH, but a closer look reveals they are really only 200AH so not enough amp hours.  The alternative is the 8D battery, but the place I was going to order the 8D batteries from raised the price pretty significantly just today.  It is now less money to just get 8Ds locally, plus the local place still has batteries made in the USA.

With the ever increasing prices on batteries I might just keep my current batteries and look harder for a better place to mount them.

niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 10:20:26 PM »

Try calling a few Trojan dealers around you for 8D AGM's - use a co. name and maybe you can get a wholesale  price - just a few amp hrs. less than Lifeline - HTH

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2008, 06:34:07 AM »

Try calling a few Trojan dealers around you for 8D AGM's - use a co. name and maybe you can get a wholesale  price - just a few amp hrs. less than Lifeline - HTH

I did call the local Trojan dealer and when I asked about 8D AGMs never brought up Trojan.  Instead, he recommended a East Penn Deka 8D for $440.

My employer buys a lot of batteries from this dealer, but it doesn't appear they will extend me my employer's price.  I called from work and the dealer saw the caller ID and assumed I was placing an order on behalf of my employer.  If I get serious about buying the batteries I'll ask them for a discount.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: