Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 04:32:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We're going on so many trips....  (Read 1349 times)
chazwood

Ignore
« on: April 13, 2008, 08:05:09 PM »

I don't have time to write, convert and go every weekend....all at the same time. It's all I can do to repair the damage I"ve done in time to go again.

However, let me say this. I was at a campground parked near a beautiful, brand-spanking-new Winnebago "TOUR" today (or some such thing of beauty) and had a friendly chat with the owner. He was telling me about how bad the storm was a few days ago. He said it was bad enough to retract his awning. I must have looked pretty stupid as I glanced at his awning and back at him with a blank look. Say what? Bad enough to retract your awning? How bad must it be to make you want to pull in your awning?....doesn't everyone pull in their awnings when the wind kicks up. Then he kinda focused in on me and started talking a little slower..... (so I would get a clue.)..... No dummy.....the coach has this little wind speed measuring device on the roof that detects when the wind gets to blowing too hard..... and if the awning is out.... it retracts automatically to protect itself from damage. You know....Kinda like an anti-awning-damage feature for those who've had it with the whole awning kite routine.

I was impressed and humbled by such unheard of marvels........ and thinking I was in the presence of "He who knew most everyRVthing,"...... I asked him a very lame question. Umm......when you're driving down the road.....what voltage does your coach operate on? (I know ...very lame question.... but I was wondering if the new ones were 12 or 24....and my brain was still reeling from the awning revelation) He paused for a split second (as he sipped his Jim Beam) and then said...... "50 volts."

I had to find somewhere to be........ Quick. Grin

I'm looking forward to meeting my first bonafide Busnut.....you know ....someone who not only knows where his genset is located..... but also knows what size it is.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 08:17:23 PM by chazwood » Logged

1992 MCI 102c3
Cummins l10 / Allison auto
Thekempters.com
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 08:12:57 PM »

Maybe the gauge on his dash isn't calibrated.

Ed.

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 08:16:11 PM »

good answer from somebody drinking Jim Beam
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 06:43:52 AM »

He didn't say how LONG it ran on 50 volts.........  Grin Grin

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 06:53:14 AM »

Maybe when it reaches Highway speed the diesel shuts off and the awning motor powers it. Grin

New energy efficient winnie....

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 08:37:23 AM »

48 volt system, running at 50 volts with engine running?  Don't know, just asking?
luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 08:43:43 AM »

the man is talking about his shore power I have had the S&S guys ask if I had 50v service in my unit some get their amps and volts mixed up
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 10:39:36 AM »

This is amusing and obviously the guy the OP is referring to was a fool but....

I won't be able to put my finger on it now but I have read about the automotive industry going to higher voltage systems.  12 or 24 is really a stupid voltage.  With current battery technology there is no reason to stay at such a low voltage (and attendant necessary high amperages).  So who knows, maybe the guy was just way ahead of his time.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 11:05:15 AM »

This is amusing and obviously the guy the OP is referring to was a fool but....

I won't be able to put my finger on it now but I have read about the automotive industry going to higher voltage systems.  12 or 24 is really a stupid voltage.  With current battery technology there is no reason to stay at such a low voltage (and attendant necessary high amperages).  So who knows, maybe the guy was just way ahead of his time.

Electric and hybrid vehicles typically need DC battery packs giving at least 98v, some over 200v, because the motors need that kind of voltage to run efficiently (24v motors that produce the same amount of power are available, but the duty cycles are very low and they produce lots of heat). Stringing chains of 12v batteries together to produce high DC voltages isn't very clever for a host of reasons, but once high voltage batteries become generally available I expect all vehicle systems will evolve to use them.

Actually, the 'best' electric vehicles use AC motors, but that involves another level of complexity as apparently the inverter / speed control systems for the AC motors have to be pretty much custom designed for every application

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 12:19:47 PM »

The new automotive voltage that I have read about is a nominal 42 volts. I suspect they are planning on keeping below 50 volts.  Above 50 volts is where UL would be applicable.

Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 12:45:31 PM »

I'm sure luvrbus has it right, he meant 50 amps.  When the conversation takes a turn like that, I start talking about the weather  Wink

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
cody

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 12:56:31 PM »

Sure is cold in tennessee today, somewhat rainy too lol.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: