Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 08:55:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: question regarding anti theft security of rubber hinges...  (Read 2459 times)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 06:01:41 AM »

The more difficult it is for the thief to get in, the more damage is done.

I had a friend who never locked his car. He said he'd rather not deal with the broken glass. . . . A different way of looking at it, I suppose.

I carry theft & vandalism insurance & hope I don't need it.

My own experience is that my biggest losses are from the damage done, not the stuff taken.
I guess I don't have much worth taking . . .  Huh

The best you can do is make your stuff less attractive to the thieves. . . . Cool

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 06:26:00 AM »

The more difficult it is for the thief to get in, the more damage is done.

I had a friend who never locked his car. He said he'd rather not deal with the broken glass. . . . A different way of looking at it, I suppose.

I carry theft & vandalism insurance & hope I don't need it.

My own experience is that my biggest losses are from the damage done, not the stuff taken.
I guess I don't have much worth taking . . .  Huh

The best you can do is make your stuff less attractive to the thieves. . . . Cool

It's a sad truth.  Sometimes it seems like some of the islamic countries have that part right.  Punishment that makes them think twice.  Cut a hand off when they get caught stealing.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 07:56:03 AM »

Guys,

So some will go through the trouble of adding some sort of "safety" in case of a rotted hinge? Wouldn't it be easier to replace the hinge and maintain it to start with? It's not like you cannot tell when they are past due replacing. It's not that hard to do. What am I missing here?

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Its the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 03:35:45 PM »

What concerns me more than my bay security is fuel theft. If someone steals your fuel, there is no way to identify it as yours. Moreover, it is super easy to make it disappear. I have yet to see an inexpensive simple deterrent for that problem with my GM.

FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »

As been said: The doors won't open if the rubber is cut.

My experience has been that that door rubber ALWAYS fails during the opening process!

I have replaced all my top hinges with the stainless and the middle with the rubber.

It is an item that I always carry a spare to replace, its not that hard , but better to practice at home.....

I added cam lock keyed latches to my doors, but nothing will keep out the determined, just the opportunist.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2008, 04:38:25 PM »

Even my Dina has rubber hinges on the battery door and the driver's heater compartment door.  I suppose I better look into replacing those hinges.  I believe those doors latch on the top and bottom on both sides, but I think because of the way they hook that they could come loose if the hinge breaks.

Those doors are almost priceless as there are relatively few scrap Dinas out there and only a slim chance of a new door.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 05:27:33 PM »

Replacing the rubber hinge with replacement rubber hinge is more difficult than you think.  To do alone is possible, I have done it on all 6 doors but with much difficulty.  To have a friend assist and to have 3 of you to replace the hinges is best and easiest. 

Many replace the rubber with stainless hinges, what ever each owner chooses to do is their personal choice.  BUT, replacing the weather checked hinges should be done if you suspect they are showing bad splits from weather check etc.

I still long for the safety factor even if the hinge is not weather checked.  That is my personal desire to have a plan "B".  What ever I do does not mean anyone else has to.
Gary

Gary
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 09:50:31 PM »

There are a few access doors on a GM that would be lost if the hinge failed. I have seen a few missing their A/C compartment doors. My bus almost lost that door when my father drove it home for me. Thankfully he ripped it off and put it in a bay because those parts are expensive to replace. Because of the ideas on this post I am going to rig up some type of strap to keep from possibly loosing one. Different reason but using the same concept.

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 12:11:07 AM »

Gary,

Very scary story.  Thanks!

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
Pla
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: