Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 08:07:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8V71 Governor Adjustment  (Read 3731 times)
donnreeves

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 06:09:35 AM »

On the bottom right side of the governor there os a cup held on by two cap screws. Under that cap are the adjustments for idle and no load speed. There is a large nut that turns in to raise the no load speed. as I recall it is about 1-1/8". The screw with the slot and jam nut adjusts the idle speed. I have mine set for 2450 so I can outrun those idiots who "race"  me when I pull out to pass. I don't know if that happens to the rest of you, but I hate it when I cruise up behind someone, pull out to pass, only to have them increase their speed and hang me out in the fast lane. Having the extra speed usually solves that problem.     Donn
Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 10:17:22 AM »

Thanks Donn. I thought it was under that cap but had not looked because I knew I wouldn't have a clue once I got in there. Once I find a reliable rpm measuring device; I'll check it out. We have a trip coming up in a few weeks and I'd like to have it figured out before then.
Fred

Fred Thomson
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2008, 10:32:34 AM »

Fred, I don't have any idea how many miles are on your engine but taking a engine into uncharted waters by 300 rpm just may be enough for it to go over the edge, but it's your engine and money so be careful 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 10:41:44 AM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2008, 01:50:42 PM »

Fred, we're running identical equipment and while I read most of the posts I admit to skipping a few so the info might already be posted. It ain't right!

I can get my old girl to 75..even 80 but she's right up against the governor. and they won't idle at 450.
If you can find a good 2 stroke man with a mechanical hand tach (I had one I no longer used and sold it on Ebay....didn't last long) you'll get accurate readings. Electronics...not familiar with them but I guess they work.

My guess is that the aluminum plates which were on the original valve covers giving you the engine data are long gone. I'd trust Stan on NO Load RPM settings.

If you're not trained on these engines...my advise is don't mess with them.  The two banks have to be in sync with the fuel rods and these adjustments are touchy.

Wish you well, m'friend.

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2008, 08:56:41 PM »

Good point. I have a lot of engine but not much money. I'm going to have my DD guy check it and be sure its at least at factory.

Bob, you're right and like MakeMine said its expensive to fix. The guy who ran the rack for me will be able to tell if its set at factory rpms. Plus I'm not looking to create a racehorse here, just want it to be performing as it was designed.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Fred Thomson
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: