Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 19, 2014, 11:06:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel Cap Lock  (Read 2490 times)
Glenn MC9

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 07:43:46 PM »

"10 seconds with a bolt cutter"

Not if he puts one of these dudes on.
http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/style_search.pl?dir=/residential/highsecurity/&style_id=A4&sub_style_id=C473

1984 MCI-9 (Jersey Cruiser)
6V92-TA/Alison 740
Tallulah Falls, Ga.
www.tlmmusic.com.

Everywhere I go.....there I am.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 07:47:01 PM »

I may end up putting a lock on the filler too!

I have a cam lock on the fuel door.  This was more to keep some idiot from putting something in,

then stealing at the time.  But is much more useful now.

I agree though that, "make it more difficult" and they will move onto an easier target.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2008, 07:49:24 PM »

Glenn,

I am using a few of these at remote sites.

Hard to cut for sure, and in a limited access area like behind a fuel door, almost impossible.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 08:02:43 PM »

9 seconds......... with a stick of dynamite.

Next!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 08:14:36 PM by chazwood » Logged

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2008, 09:20:49 PM »

What Jack has done is a deterrent and nothing else. Itís all you can do. I have to break into things all of the time where I work and there is nothing that will stop someone who is determined.  Higher quality locks and hasps only slow things down somewhat. What Jack has done is complicate things a bit for the thief. Instead of just a hose or pump and someplace to put the fuel, the thief would need more. For an inexpensive hasp, a hacksaw will work well. Also bolt cutters on the lock or on the hasp eye loop. Moving up the tool list how about a cordless reciprocating saw with a nice bi-metal blade. If he had power and noise was not an issue a 4 Ĺ inch angle grinder with a metal cut-off blade would work. Better yet, a pneumatic cut off wheel using the bus air. I can pick just about any padlock with a traditional tumbler using a modified hacksaw blade and a small screwdriver. I'll stop it there. Anyways, I want to put something on my fuel filler also but mine is designed differently and I am not sure how I want to do it. But like Jackís, it will serve only to make someone elseís fuel a more worthwhile take.

Anyone have one of those nice big gun safes (I do). I can have one opened and cleaned out in less than ten minutes. The sad part is that it doesnít take any skill, just the right tool (Iím not talking about a plasma cutter or acetylene).

I use a similar saw to the one below at work, and it is amazing how well it cuts the big stuff:

http://www.dynamic-saw-blade-sharpening.com/metal-sawblade-machines.html

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 09:25:18 PM »

One thing I failed to mentioned. The thief, unless he has previously checked, wouldnít be expecting that lock so the great odds are he wouldnít have anything to defeat it available. I think what Jack did is a great idea.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Brassman

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 09:50:00 PM »

Hopefully, the c*cksucker doesn't pull the plug from the bottom of the tank.
Glenn MC9

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 03:51:07 AM »

Barn Owl, you're right. Given a little time and the right tool, just about and security device can be defeated.

Note: As I started trying this, a news channel in Atlanta had a news clip about police arresting three guys that were going around to apartment complexes and siphoning gas from vehicles. One guy they interviewed had been hit three different times. He figured his loss to be around $350.00.

Now, back to our regular scheduled program:

What I was gonna say is, that most security devices (locks, hasps, etc.) is only designed to keep the honest person out. I personally think Jack's idea is sort of neat and cheap. I've considered doing something like this myself.

1984 MCI-9 (Jersey Cruiser)
6V92-TA/Alison 740
Tallulah Falls, Ga.
www.tlmmusic.com.

Everywhere I go.....there I am.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 05:15:56 AM »

My main concern was those few times we stop at a rest area, truck stop, Walmart, etc. for the night. Any noise created while trying to remove the lock will give me time to step out the door with my 45 cal. Ruger. I agree if someone wants the fuel bad enough, they will get it. However, most crooks are looking for an easy target. In any parking area, which is easier, a vehicle with a locked fuel cap or all the vehicles without a locked cap.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 05:32:13 AM »

Jack...don't forget...I'll be the one in the backgroud with the ray gun...you won't need the little one!
Give my best to Paula.
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2008, 07:37:23 AM »

You can be sure anyone wandering around a truck stop with bolt cutters, saws, etc, or making the rounds between the vehicles, will be quietly observed by every set of eyes in the place, and no doubt challenged by more than few.

Locks on the fuel are a wonderful thing to make the perp look elsewhere, and some piece of mind for the owner.

Thanks for sharing, Jack!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2008, 09:02:53 AM »

...as my dad always said 'Locks only keep honest people out'.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: