Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 05:14:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mountain driving question  (Read 2364 times)
4106-123

Ignore
« on: April 18, 2008, 07:14:14 AM »

can i drive my 4106 around the west virginia area with out problems original 4 speed. i want to seach around for property on the back roads ? worried about starting on grades ect
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 07:22:13 AM »

No matter where you go, starting with the original 4 speeds will always be a problem-or even backing up.  Just be looking far ahead and planning.  If you have a signal on a grade, slow down as low as you can go with the clutch engaged in 1st and creep up to the light-and hopefully it will change before you get there.
This is why most change out to the V730 Allison-you completely eliminate those starting problems on most all grades, and the driving is truly enjoyable-granted you take a fuel mileage hit-but how many miles a year do you drive? Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 07:25:00 AM »

Better to worry about the other issue, how to stop...

Search the archive about how to deal with controlling your speed downhill.

If you don't know, it can be dangerous, and the bus won't stop at all.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 08:43:03 AM »

Come see me and I can show you around this part of WV. I am on US 33, 25 miles East of Ripley which is exit 138 of the I-77 interstate. Excellent two lane without any major hills between Ripley and Spencer.  Big WalMart parking at Ripley and here at Spencer.

Would not recommend you try and do much exploring on the back roads in a bus.

Richard
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 08:44:39 AM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 08:57:43 AM »

One of the things you will find is that there is NO where to pull over in a bus.....If you want too...and even worse if you NEED too!

Use the little car....Trust me!...and I was only there twice.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 11:43:05 AM »

yeah a bus is not a vehicle to go exploring in.
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 12:39:01 PM »

Depends how far up them hills you want to goes.  Would suggest staying on PAVED roads with your Bus Conversion.  For real exploring, take your 4X4 toad or hop on your Honda Reflex motorbike, or in extreme cases, your street legal Go-Go Trials bike.  He he he....I love a good plan.  Smiley Wink Smiley
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 02:07:16 PM »

Your header sez "mountains", so I nateraly thought in the west somewhere, not those little hills in WV>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 04:42:58 PM »

having spent many years in both WV and the Western state mountains,

I would say WV has more steep not easily traversed roads that the West.

True WV mountians are not as tall but the roads are equally as steep or steeper in alot of places.

as of the Early 90's WV had the largest % of unpaved public roads in the US.

Have run across many WV Roads that were steeper and in worse conditin that Dozer made Fire Breaks/Fire Line in CA
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 07:41:48 PM »

Now if you want a stinking hill...allow me to show you the old Fancy Gap, Hillsville, VA to Mt. Airy, NC.  When the trucks used to wreck on it they would bring the body up and leave everything else in the hole.  I plan to go down in that hole someday!  Imagine what you might find.  Some friends did it one day, said it was pretty cool!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 07:55:57 PM »

I have been around the county and have seen some intense roads on both sides. But, by far the craziest and most insane roads I have traveled have been in West Virginia. They will run an interstate posted 70mph straight down a hill into a sharp 90 degree bend at the bottom, or if that didn't scare you, how about a steep, incorrectly banked, serpentine squiggle down the side of a cliff? It was my experience that a lot of western roads were cut and planned with speed in mind, I don't care how long, how steep. In West Virginia, they laid pavement down on some old horse trail and expect people to learn to deal with it. I think West Virginians have the bragging rights on the mountain roads.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
gus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 09:54:27 PM »

A 6% grade startup is the same in UT or WV or FL!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 08:54:25 AM »

I have seen 7% in Western PA. They had it marked as such. It's not the grade that's bothersome, it's the grade and sharp curves together.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
4106-123

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 10:44:27 AM »

anyone have imput on what to look for or look out for in buying land in wv ive been looking around weston, ripley area more on the southern side. trying to find a piece with free natural gas a alot of the land come with free gas to one dwelling on the land.  as far a driving maybe i can take the bus to a park and rent a car that way i can aleast stay in the bus while im up there,
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 11:00:51 AM »

down in that neck o the woods lodging is cheap.....I would rent a car and go or just take your car.

if you do take your bus well worth renting a car to go galavanting.

WV is a tricky place for land..alot of it is sold without mineral rights...which mean your land if not already undermined.

Well worth doing extensive research on any property you do have as far as Previous undermining, And ground water tests..

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: