Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 01:35:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: water intercooler on 6v92  (Read 1445 times)
82 MCI-9

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2008, 08:50:08 PM »

I am tearing down a 6v92 that i have to get it ready for a rebuild and was noticing how restrictive the intercooler must be under the blower. Has anyone ever removed this and come up with something else maybe a air to air intercooler like Tomc is using on his 8v-71. I would think that this would be way less restictive wouldnt it? Just thinking not trying to reinvent the wheel just thinking it would allow the engine to breath alot better. This motor also has 9g-75 injecters in it what kind of power would that produce it is a none ddec motor?
luvrbus

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 09:20:04 PM »

82 MCI-9 that is a standard coach engine 277 hp with the turbo tv7511 with a/r 0.96 and federal cams.I like air to air better but the heating problems most MCI have I don't know if it would benefit you or not and if you have one custom made for your application they are very expensive plus the piping to install it.I have one on my 8v92 in a Eagle and to be honest with you I don't see that much difference a little more torque, but it didn't help the fuel mileage that I was expecting  

You are not reinventing the the wheel the air to air chargers for use with the 92 series have been around since the 80s     fwiw
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 09:53:47 PM by luvrbus » Logged
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 08:50:18 AM »

I would highly recommend you remove and block off the cooling lines on that tiny aftercooler and go with an air to air intercooler.  You could have it mounted in the right side door with a electric fan pushing the air from inside the engine compartment outward (I know that sounds like in reverse, but with the big squirrel cage blowers blowing in air under pressure into the engine compartment, the relatively small electric fan will not be able to overcome the pressure-I know, I had to do the same thing with my aux trans cooler).  Then the radiators will have less to cool.  The 75 injector puts out 275hp and 775lb/ft of torque. This will get the best fuel mileage.  With 95's you could get 350hp and 980lb/ft, but would have to change the turbo, injectors and possibly cam timing.  If you're satisfied with the performance (how fast do you have to go), then just stay with what you have.  Remember- the life of the engine is not how many miles it goes, but how many gallons of fuel flows through the engine-less fuel, longer engine life.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
82 MCI-9

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 09:26:25 AM »

Thanks guys!  This is an extra motor that i have and can take my time to rebuild it. I think i will remove the water to air intercoller from the block and go with the air to air i am not in a rush to get this done so i can take my time and collect parts as i go.

Tomc were did you get your air to air intercooler? Did you have it custom made or did you buy one already made?
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 10:38:11 AM »

Look up www.sierratechnologies.net.  They built the air to air intercooler to my size specifications, because of the special demensional problems with a side radiator bus for about $750.00.  It fit perfectly and works well.  You can really feel the difference in the turbo and cool side of the intercooler.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
luvrbus

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 10:59:22 AM »

82 MCI-9  try these folks also they may have what you need in stock and can tell you the cfms you need for the engine plus they have 4 locations

www.aceradiator.com
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 10:25:53 AM »

A water to air heat exchanger(ATW) is a ton more efficient that air to air(ATA).  That being said, a big ATA can easily be more effective than a small ATW.  My decision point would rest on two factors.  First....how much presure am I dropping across that "A"fter cooler, as in "TA".  We worry about dirty/plugged filters and none of those has ever been so bad as to hold pressure but they will ruin performance so that is a sensitive issue.  Secondly....how many degrees is the ATW dropping the temp?  It is doing somthing, just don't know what.  I don't think I would just chuck it out without knowing these things.  I don't know these answers but I can assure you that if I had an engine I would.  I think the likes of Don Fairchild would be able to shed light but he/they has not chimed in on previous posts that broached these subjects.   Pressure drop would be revealed by a couple 1/16 inch vac hoses and temp by two remote sens thermo.s  In short, I would advise leaving it in for its charge cooling function even without knowing exactly how much it is doing.

I did learn that 400 degrees F is the absolute max for the intake.

HTH

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
makemineatwostroke

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 10:36:51 AM »

John, you could get both types ATA or ATW for a 92 series depending on what you wanted.On some 71 series you had no choice ATA only
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 10:50:17 PM »

MMATS,

That was one of the things I was getting at.  Put an intercooler after the turbo...we all know that is a good thing. right?  Then leave the "A"fter cooler in place AFTER the blower.  The A is standard equip on how many DD 2 strokes?  The air temp coming out of your turbo or intercooler IS NOT AMBIENT.  When they inducted ambient air into the blower they installed a AFTER cooler....I think it had a viable purpose.

How many HP, stated in a %, for a given intake manifold pressure increase is known.  Not by me, but it is known.  The same goes for temperature of the inducted air.  Looking for some meat in these decisions and my bones are bare.

Thanks for the input 2 stroke,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: