Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
May 21, 2018, 05:49:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  4,812 Members as of August 9, 2016 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sunroof Window and other glass.  (Read 1225 times)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2008, 11:54:31 AM »

After I bought my bus, 4108 (for those who don't know), I was playing with it and found it had  skylight over the kitchen/salon area on the passender side. (right next to the vent that opens 4 ways) It was ceiling-ed over but I cut it out.
 Unfortunately, it's cracked.  Angry  S**T!! It wouldn't be so bad except it's also "curved"!!!!  DAMN the bad luck!!!  Sad
  Sooooooooo........ where can I get one of these?? My guess is they are probably about as hard to get as the Vista Windows. By the way, I think I'm going to get rid of the fiberglass panels they have in place of the Vistas, and will do the plexiglass thing for Vistas. But I was hoping I could do glass for the skylight. Does anyone make them or do I need to scrounge a used one?

Also, does anyone know the shade of tint on the side windows?? (green, bronze, grey??) I am going to have one cut, but they wanted to know the tint. I will be taking the glass (second window back pass. side, next to "D" window) to them to make sure but, I can save a little time and effort if I know what it is. They can be sure to have it on hand that way. Otherwise it could take a few extra days without a window in there.

Beautiful day to work on the outside!
       Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 01:45:51 PM »

gm glass tint is nowhere near anything commercially available presently as far as getting a match
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 05:39:03 PM »

Chaz,

I am going to tint mine with mirror tint.

I want to reflect as much sun outbound as I can.

I have stood underneath them and it is really hot, the mirror tint should help.

I do love how they flood the interior with light though.

Of course I may cause a few UFO's to crash from the reflection.... Shocked

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 07:09:59 PM »

Just scraped the snowcoating off my skylights a couple of weeks ago. You're darn right about the sun heating through them, and they're tinted to boot. Rethinking putting a layer of snowcoat back on them, but I really like watching the clouds go by in the morning (Daydreaming) till the coffee kicks in anyway. LOL

Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 07:16:19 PM »

Cliff,
  I will tint, well.......... probably all my windows. The mirror would be cool if I could shoot down a UFO or two, as long as I can get there first!!   Roll Eyes  Grin Grin  No more cover ups!! I'll send you pix first!!  Cheesy Cheesy
  But do ya know where I can get a skylight? I'd rather not do plexi if I don't have to. I think I will do the Vistas with plexi tho. I'm scared if I find/buy glass ones, I'll just bust one with a limb like everybody else.  Tongue  Roll Eyes  (who me?)
  I'm working on all the bad body spots on the outside and maybe get it ready for paint this year.  Cheesy Cheesy  Cheesy Probably wishful thinking. I did price soda blasting and over the phone he said 225.00 an hour and would probably be between 1200.00 and 2500.00 depending. I didn't tell him there are places where there is 8-11 coats of paint!!! Brutal!!
  Oh, and what color would you say your side windows are tinted from the factory? I will probably tint those two, but I'd like to get close. My choices are, green, bronze or grey. I just can't be sure. I guess I can just let them make the decision when I get it there, I just didn't want to take the chance on having to wait days to get the window in case they didn't have the stuff.
  By the way Cliff, did you get my PM? Just curious if your baby had a name.

Later buddy,
     Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 11:01:48 AM »

Got the new window today. 168.00  oooooowwwweeeeeee. It went in pretty good. Probably would have been easier if the gasket was newer/softer. I used Armorall to slick it up.

By the way, the tint is bronze, but replacement is a little lighter than original.

"I can see clearly now the rain, er, paint is gone"............

Chaz

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: