Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 04:21:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's never easy.  (Read 3797 times)
chazwood

Ignore
« on: April 29, 2008, 02:05:05 PM »

I would like to find a 50 amp, male, straight blade, four prong, covered, weather proof, receptacle that could be flush mounted to the bus.  I want to open my bay and take out an extension cord ( not hard wired to my breaker box ) and plug it in to the bus and pole. I thought this would be easy, but I cannot seem find one ....do they exist?

Thanks

Chazwood.

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 02:21:34 PM »

Heres where you get all that unsolicited feedback.  Hope you don't mind, just want to point out something.  Food for thought.

If you are at an RV park, and you leave the coach plugged in, if the cable is not hardwired, its very easy for someone to come along and just unplug it at both ends and carry it away.

I must be honest, I've never actually heard of this happening, but this was why I at least made my plug inside a bay. Although I give up a few feet, if the bay is locked, you can't just unplug it.

FWIW

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 02:34:07 PM »

Your right Jim. But either way, with the price of copper what it is, it's a good idea to at least "keep an honest man, honest" by somewhat securing it.

Maybe an access hole in a bay door to one side so you can plug it in inside?

Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 02:59:46 PM »

Here is one way.  Pretty pricey at $99 for the CR6364 female and $86 for the CR6365 male.  I think the Marinco brand is even more.

http://www.aplussupply.com/ps/twist/crcs.htm

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 03:00:49 PM »

Is this what you want?
                                      http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/15155/377%20710%201639/0/Adapters,%20Plugs%20/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/30/0?N=377%20710%201639&Ne=0&Ntt=Adapters,%20Plugs%20&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisplayLevel1&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=5002&subdeptNum=9&classNum=311

In hindsight I would mount the Male plug inside the bay with a floor access panel.  Roll Eyes. Also anything that I found that was weather resistant (nothing is weatherproof) was very pricey. I'm useing a stainless steel marine reciptical. HTH
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 07:02:03 PM by jjrbus » Logged

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 03:12:22 PM »

I've seen the three prong round blade marine plugs, but I was looking for the exact configuration of the 4 blade RV extension cords.

I would have replied sooner.... but I was too busy typing in the worlds longest address link. Thank you jjrbus Grin
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 03:14:13 PM by chazwood » Logged

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 03:34:24 PM »

Chaz,
There is no particular RV connection for 250 volt/50 amp as there is for 30 amp.  The pole end is a standard 50 amp-4 wire connection, the same as used for an electric range.

The other end is usually a Twist-Lock or Marinco.  I don't believe a female cord end connector of that type exists.  You would end up installing a box  and outlet on the end of your cord but no way to mate with a flush mount.

If you make your connection inside the bay (my preference) then you could do just that and use a short range cord to connect the breaker panel to the cord.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 03:37:08 PM »

but then.... how do you close the bay door.

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 03:52:42 PM »

Maybe an access hole in a bay door to one side so you can plug it in inside?

Just make it at the edge.

Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
Bob Gil
Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 04:06:55 PM »

In hindsight I would mount the Male plug inside the bay with a floor access panel. One reason for this is the code requires a breaker within 15 inches of the entrance receptical. The receptical could be mounted to the ceiling of the bay with a breaker next to it. Also anything that I found that was weather resistant (nothing is weatherproof) was very pricey. I'm useing a stainless steel marine reciptical. HTH
[/quote]

Ok are you saying that if I hard wire the shore power cord to the transfer switch, do I still have to have a breaker next to where it exits the bus?  If I wire to a inlet plug there has to be a breaker with in 15 inches of it?

Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 04:08:34 PM »

use a marine inspection hatch or a PVC flange and plug through the floor at the edge of the compartment.

jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 04:08:53 PM »

They sell at Rv and Marine supply stores an Various size access panels, That open large enough to put the plug through, then close snugly over the wire. Mount that in the floor.

That should have come through as a link, You have heard of copy and paste? 

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 04:12:28 PM »

So if you make a little trap door in the bay door so you can reach through the little trap door and plug the cord in the receptacle in the bay.....you still have issues with making the little trap door weatherproof when the cord is holding it open.

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 04:17:22 PM »

They sell at Rv and Marine supply stores an Various size access panels, That open large enough to put the plug through, then close snugly over the wire. Mount that in the floor.

That should have come through as a link, You have heard of copy and paste? 

so you want to pull the wire out from underneath the bus?

That's a thought.

Might let a little water in the bay as you drive in the rain?

I was poking fun at the link....I did copy and paste........ but Google rejected my efforts. (apparently even Google has limits) Grin

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 04:19:28 PM »

use a marine inspection hatch or a PVC flange and plug through the floor at the edge of the compartment.

from underneath the bus?

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: