Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 08:30:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bedroom cabinetry and under bed space.  (Read 3273 times)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« on: May 04, 2008, 10:37:39 AM »

I'm familiar with the "do it your way" idea, but I still like to get opinions from people who have "been there,done that" before I try to create a better mouse trap. (always willing to learn!!)
 So my next question is........
 On the back wall, "most" people who do cabinets there, do a layout of cabinets up either side, maybe across the top and a mirror (seems kinky  Roll Eyes  Grin ) in the center cove. I just pulled my back wall down (it was just a sheet of 3/4" finished plywood) to do something a bit nicer. With the two motor cradle supports coming up thru where the cabinets would be, I thought I would just put the wall there (with mirrors  Grin) to create two side coves and put about a 46" cabinet in the middle, angled back to the mirrors. It would give me much better - much needed - storage space.
 Has anyone else ever done this? Any real reason why it wouldn't work? I looked thru the picture thread but didn't really see anything. Would you know of anywhere else I could find pix of someebody who has done this??

Also, I am going to be building a queen size bed "box", if you will, for my foam bed to be on. I also came up with an idea to put it on heavy duty drawer slides so I can slide it to the drivers side so I have dressing space or back to the middle to make the bed. I think that will utilize the space the best. Otherwise, there is always a drawback where it is sitting. The passenger side of the "box" will have drawers in it and the drivers side will be an open area for long term storage Tupperware containers, etc. I'm going to hinge the top of the "box" so I can get to it. The foam mattress is light enough to make that feasible.

Any thoughts??

Thinking out of the box,
      Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 10:56:42 AM »

I like the drawer slides idea!!!!!  I made my bed higher than a standard bed, floor to bottom of mattres  is 21 inches, more storage, eaiser to get in and out of. Under the bed are 4 large drawers and  large open areas. My plan was to cover the open areas, but they are so handy I never did. Top is also hinged.
 Put the mirrors on the ceiling where they belong Grin

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 11:19:49 AM »

Just my opinion, but I would not plan for long term storage unless a bus is for full time or you plan on some real long trips. 

You'll probably end up sticking stuff in that storage that will never get used and it will just be dead weight you're paying to cart around.  I'm assuming most of the spare parts for the bus will go in a bay.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 11:29:55 AM »

I like the sliding bed idea, but will the slide rails stick up above the floor and be a tripping hazard when the bed is slid over to the wall? Huh Or will they be recessed into the floor to collect dust and junk like loose jewelry? Shocked Queen island is the most practical. Just ask the wife. (Skip the mirrors-unless you're into the 70's theme LOL Grin Grin)

Blacksheep

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 11:42:53 AM »

I have 4 drawers under my bed with 2 on each side and I wouldn't do it again. My bed is stationary and being only a full size, it's raelly hard to open the drawers in the side space allotted! Could be too that my bed is designed as a pedestal bed and the drawers are somewhat hidden under the mattress frame! Anyway, I would have done it different but when you get started, and things start looking good, you tend to forget about being practical!

BS
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 11:47:07 AM »

I built my frame to hold a queen bed out of 3/4 inch pine, so even using the ledge over the engine compartment, I ended up with spaces for 3 small drawers down each side.  Of course, they are quite shallow, so I will have a large center drawer that runs from front to back to use the center area.  It will pull right down the middle aisle of the bus.  We plan to use it for the things you want to have with you, but don't always need handy - like spare sheets, or extra bedding for the fold down couch, water toys, etc. 

Good Luck!
Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 12:01:19 PM »

Put the mirrors on the ceiling where they belong
If the mirror follows the contour of the ceiling, the women folk will like it much better.  Cheesy Cheesy

Hey Belfert,
Maybe I'm wrong here, but it's "MY opinion" that you can't have too much storage space. IE.
We plan to use it for the things you want to have with you, but don't always need handy - like spare sheets, or extra bedding for the fold down couch, water toys, etc. 

Think about it buddy.  Roll Eyes

PP, I think since the bed will only move about 12" or so, I can keep the slides hidden. I can use small thread adjustable casters on the corners to help.

BS, That's another reason I want to put it on slides so I can access the drawers easier. If I wouldn't be able to have the bed all the way to the drivers side, it would be a bummer.

Tenor, That is what I had thought of before the slide idea. (great minds think alike!  Roll Eyes Grin Grin Grin )I think this should be the best of both worlds. I think Linda will need a little of that space for the imfamous "SHOES!!!"  Shocked Grin Grin Grin  I intend to make every possible space a storage space of some sort.

Plannin for storin,
    Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

cody

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 12:12:19 PM »

Just a thought on the slides, there is no reason they should be exposed, by mounting them frontside and backside they wouldn't protrude beyond the ends of the bed and still allow it to be mobile, also it's easy to add a catch to lock the bed in either position, center or wall side.
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 01:40:59 PM »

Anybody have any differing opinions on the back cabinets or pictures I could steal ideas from??  Roll Eyes  Wink  Grin Grin

Man, this is fun.
       Chaz

ktmossman

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 03:01:15 PM »

Somewhere, I saw pictures of a bus that had a island of cabinets OVER the bed in the rear.  If I remember, it was recessed from the sides and end of the bed by 12 - 18 inches so you didn't have to worry about hitting your head.  But it made great use of the dead area over the center of the bed where you do not need the full ceiling height.  Just a thought...
Blacksheep

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 03:06:47 PM »

You could make the rear wall a large closet and turn your bed sideways like the big boys do. If I did it over, this is the way I would go!

BS
cody

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 03:41:45 PM »

Putting the bed sideways makes it easy to make a full wall of cabinets across the back but if you use a standard household size queen bed the distance from the foot of the bed to the wall is kinda tight to get thru.
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 04:26:01 PM »

Because we have that big picture window in the rear...and because we camp at a lot of campgrounds that you are literally backed up to the ocean or sounds we are going to have the bed facing to the rear with cabinets as part of the headboard...but you would get to the drawers from the back of the bed.

Hum...now about the mirror thing..............

We have thought about one of the 105 gallon water tanks under the bed, however I am not sure we want another 800 or so pounds right over the engine.  Any thoughts on that, the ones that fit the area under the bed?

Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008, 04:41:19 PM »

This is the rear of DML. Behind the two sliding mirrors there are three shelves with lots of storage space plus lots of other storage areas. Two large cabinets on each side of the mirrors and below that are night stands with three drawers each. There are three drawers on the front bottom of the bed stand as well as open shelve storage on each side of the bed frame. The bed tilts up with full storage there also.

Richard

« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 04:49:18 PM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008, 04:56:14 PM »

Chaz,

This was when I first started on it:

You could extend it out farther over the engine forward, this would give you room for drawers on the side too!

I have two drawers that pull out from the foot of the bed.

The other dead space in the middle is open from both sides.

We have a few plastic containers and each store our shoes in them.

I may have to post the completed pictures with my polished granite nightstand tops.... Shocked

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: