Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 07:26:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Poll
Question: Do you favor a return to the 55MPH speed limit in the interest of saving fuel?
YES, Favor - 43 (39.1%)
NO, Oppose - 67 (60.9%)
Total Voters: 104

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Return to the 55 MPH speed limit?  (Read 5034 times)
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 07:39:35 PM »

All transport trucks in France are restricted to 90 km/h. They are not allowed in the left fast lane on the autoroutes. The police have cracked down on speeders the last few years. Also no cell phones allowed. I was there a couple years ago in a rental car. The hwys are crowded but the driving was very relaxed and easier than I anticipated, because everyone behaves and is curteous. A driver's license is not easy to get there, and many young people have to go back more than once to get one. We in N. America are getting closer to having to slow down and discipline everybody on the hwys not so much to save fuel but as a matter of safety and sanity.

JC 

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 08:55:17 PM »

Prostitution is legal over there too, and that makes it take the truckers a little longer.(Theory of spontanious stopages).

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
luvrbus

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 09:18:06 PM »

I travel from Arizona to Texas on I 10 and I love the 80 mph speed limit in west Texas but it does cost me more fuel I lose about 1 mpg
bobsw

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 09:24:41 PM »

You can buy a lot of fuel for the cost of a speeding ticket. If you want to drive 55 just do it.

73 MCI-7
billy6941

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 09:41:07 PM »

I get a kick out of car manufacturers who state in their tv ads that they have 25 models that get 30mpg. In the 1952 Mobil economy run, coast to coast, Studebaker averaged 27 mpg. I find it hard to believe that they have only improved 3mpg in almost 60 years....Bill
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 05:38:16 AM »

What was the average fuel economy of cars in 1952? 

If we took the best MPG car of today on an economy run at the optimum speed for that vehicle it should easily reach 50 MPG. 

The EPA has done a fair bit to reduce mileage since the 1980s with increased pollution controls.  Cars of today produce maybe a few percent of the pollution of a early 1960s car, but the EPA is never satisfied.  (The PCV valve was the single biggest cut in pollution.)  Oh well, the EPA is a whole issue seperate from MPG.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2008, 06:04:52 AM »

I get a kick out of car manufacturers who state in their tv ads that they have 25 models that get 30mpg. In the 1952 Mobil economy run, coast to coast, Studebaker averaged 27 mpg. I find it hard to believe that they have only improved 3mpg in almost 60 years....Bill

I've always found that odd too - I think there is a mindset whereby manufacturers don't really to go much beyond say 35mpg, because that is what the customer expect and are happy with - there's no point in making a 'middle market' car more expensive to build (better technology, lighter materials) if the customers aren't willing to pay for it. At the top end of the market the manufacturers do make the effort where they think it will help sell more cars - for example, the Jaguar XJ and Audi A8 have aluminium bodyshells because the customers want a big car that still has great performance and handling. The next Range Rover has an aluminium body too, because Land Rover are desperate to persuade politically-correct customers that big 4x4s don't have to be gas-guzzlers.

Fifteen years or so ago my Dad had a couple of Rover Montegos, with the Perkins Prima turbo diesel engine. They were advertised as being capable of both 100mph and 100mpg, and were a really nice car to drive as well. The engine was probably more powerful and more economical, but certainly not as refined or quiet, as the current generation of high pressure diesels, which I think indicates where manufacturers have been putting most of their development efforts.

In the UK the speed limit on two and three lane roads has been 70mph for many years, and the average speed today is probably around 85mph, which seems to be considered 'resonable' by society - so much so that police won't stop you for doing 80-85, unless it's inappropriate to the conditions. Buses and coaches used reguarly travel at 90mph+ and bully cars out of the way, but after a number of accidents the industry 'got sensible' and the drivers are now told to obey the limits - apparently the manufacturers actually had to change the gearing to accomodate the new, lower speeds coaches were being driven at.

Articulated trucks are mechanically limited to 60mph (56mph elsewhere in Europe) and cannot use the third lane on three-lane road. Cellphones are not banned, but must be 'hands free'. The police are quite strict on this kind of thing, and I know two girls who were stopped by the police, one for combing her hair whilst driving, and the other for eating a chocolate bar.

On single-lane roads the limit is generally 60mph, but there seems to be an increasing tendancy to decrease the limit and erect huge numbers of new road signs on supposed 'dangerous' stretches of road, which annoys me greatly as I believe that it is eroding the skill of the driver - drivers should be made to make their own decisions regarding what speed is safe, rather than simply being required to follow the instructions given by road signs.

There has been a huge increase in the number of speed cameras on surface roads in the UK over the last few years, which is a source of great aggravation and controversy amongst the driving public. At the same time the use of traffic police has been cut right back - in fact, in the county in which I live there are now NONE - everything is done by cameras. Each time you get caught by a camera you pay a nominal fine (60 / $120), and receive 3 'points' on your licence. If you get 12 points within a three-year period you lose your licence. I have a good friend who is an ex-traffic police officer in the county, and he has told me that if he ever gets to 9 points he (even as an ex police officer) would fit false place to his car in order to prevent the cameras identifying him next time. Being caught with false plates is a very serious offence, but given his knowledge of how the police work he is very confident that he would never get caught.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2008, 06:48:34 AM »

On single-lane roads the limit is generally 60mph, but there seems to be an increasing tendency to decrease the limit and erect huge numbers of new road signs on supposed 'dangerous' stretches of road, which annoys me greatly as I believe that it is eroding the skill of the driver - drivers should be made to make their own decisions regarding what speed is safe, rather than simply being required to follow the instructions given by road signs.

Wouldn't work here.  Case in point.  There is road here that has a series of "S" curves as it goes through a ridge.  Many people, mostly young people, died in those curves because they not only didn't select a wise speed, they intentionally "shot the curves" at high speeds.  The city tried everything, nothing worked until they put speed cameras there and began strict enforcement.  They have been in place for a year now with no further fatalities in that stretch.

I have watched too many reckless drivers on the roads to believe that the general driving public, especially in the under 30 years old bracket, can be relied upon to make sensible speed choices for given conditions.  I was as guilty as anyone in regards to speed when I was younger, but I was never as reckless as some of the young drivers I've seen in the last 5 years or so.  It seems to be getting much worse.  I tend to wonder if they are learning their driving behavior from the new generation of driving video games.

Personally, I appreciate speed limit signs for danger zones (i.e. curves) as it gives me an idea of what to expect.  Not such an issue for locals, but a big help for travelers on an unfamiliar road.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 07:45:47 AM »

On single-lane roads the limit is generally 60mph, but there seems to be an increasing tendency to decrease the limit and erect huge numbers of new road signs on supposed 'dangerous' stretches of road, which annoys me greatly as I believe that it is eroding the skill of the driver - drivers should be made to make their own decisions regarding what speed is safe, rather than simply being required to follow the instructions given by road signs.

Wouldn't work here.  Case in point.  There is road here that has a series of "S" curves as it goes through a ridge.  Many people, mostly young people, died in those curves because they not only didn't select a wise speed, they intentionally "shot the curves" at high speeds.  The city tried everything, nothing worked until they put speed cameras there and began strict enforcement.  They have been in place for a year now with no further fatalities in that stretch.

I have watched too many reckless drivers on the roads to believe that the general driving public, especially in the under 30 years old bracket, can be relied upon to make sensible speed choices for given conditions.  I was as guilty as anyone in regards to speed when I was younger, but I was never as reckless as some of the young drivers I've seen in the last 5 years or so.  It seems to be getting much worse.  I tend to wonder if they are learning their driving behavior from the new generation of driving video games.

Personally, I appreciate speed limit signs for danger zones (i.e. curves) as it gives me an idea of what to expect.  Not such an issue for locals, but a big help for travelers on an unfamiliar road.

I don't doubt that the current approach leads to fewer accidents - my point it that those reckless young drivers will never learn unless it is by the consequences of their own actions. We all scared ourselves occasionally when we were younger by going into a corner too quickly or misjudging the road surface - and we became better drivers as a result.

In the UK there are two types of speed limit signs - red ones which you have to obey, and white ones which are advisory. I think there are far too many red ones, and not enough white ones. I have no problem at all in being warned about hazards ahead, in such a way that I can they deal with that hazard how I see fit. I dislike being treated like an idiot and being forced to slow down by a camera even when when for example it's the middle of the night and I happen to know that the hazard in question only exists at busy times during the day.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
GM0406

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008, 12:19:08 PM »

Well it depends on what you are driving.  Coahes are probably far better to stay at 55 mph than to move up into more consumption.  Except when approaching grades, where it could be more fuel efficient to crank her up.  Speed depends on your vehicle.  From experience you should be able to know what causes more fuel consumption.  My Honda Insight, which is the highest fuel mileage production car that I know of operates more efficiently by staying near 3,000 rpm.  If I let it drop below that, it is always consuming more fuel trying to maintain a lower speed.  This car certainly is dependent on tire pressure.  If by any chance it drops below 44 psi, we use more fuel.  The previous owner told me to keep it at 50 psi!!  Right now I keep the '06 at 100 psi front and 95 rear.  Any ideas to improve fuel mileage are certainly welcome by me and I am always listening.  I have gotten as high as 70 mpg with this Insight.  I love to travel with it, especially after we have used the coach with the ouch at the pump.  So all go out and buy these Insights.  All the way from San Jose CA, to Salt Lake City on less than 13 gallons at 65 mph over Donner Pass, and 75 to 80 all through Nevada and Utah.  Who needs speed limits with that kind of performance?  Has anyone made the suggestion for 55 mph speed limit in the slow lane only?  That would be 55 minimum also!  Bill T.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2008, 01:26:27 PM »

Playing with the speed limit won't do anything except breed more contempt for the law.

How's this for a novel idea?
Pay attention & use courtesy when driving.

Seems almost no one does any more.  Sad

From what I hear about the German laws concerning driving, you can lose your license for lack of courtesy or rudeness.
That is something I'd like to see here.

Those punk kids driving habits will improve real quick if they KNOW they'll loose their driver's license for stupid stuff.
But as long as the lawyers keep keep passing the blame to others . . . don't expect any productive changes.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
ghanson

MC 9

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2008, 04:17:21 PM »

Got Oil?  Check this out..... interesting stuff.  YMMV.....g

Sojourner

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2008, 05:06:38 PM »

ghanson
Same speech as earlier post............http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=8163.0

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
superpickle

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2008, 07:51:53 PM »

Well, I tell ya, At 55, your Produce, Eggs, Milk and everything else you eat is going to be a Whole lot LESS Fresh..  Huh Roll Eyes

Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2008, 08:39:05 PM »

The difference between 55 and 65 is almost 20% (about 18% actually).  I usually would not want to increase my travel time by that much.  If you want to save fuel by driving slower, that's fine, but why force it on others.  I save energy in ways that most others do not.  I would not want to force others to do what I do though.  I am surprised that free-wheeling busnuts would want to invite the government more deeply into their hobby. 

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: