Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 11:56:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Poll
Question: Do you favor a return to the 55MPH speed limit in the interest of saving fuel?
YES, Favor - 43 (39.1%)
NO, Oppose - 67 (60.9%)
Total Voters: 104

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Return to the 55 MPH speed limit?  (Read 5126 times)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2008, 08:50:23 PM »

Well, I tell ya, At 55, your Produce, Eggs, Milk and everything else you eat is going to be a Whole lot LESS Fresh..  Huh Roll Eyes

We still had fresh food when the speed limit was 55.  I'm not saying we should necessarily go back to 55, but at the minimum do strict enforcement of current limits.  I see plenty going way over the limit even when the limit is 70 MPH.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2008, 09:14:24 PM »

A 3000 mile trip would take an extra 14 hours driving time at 55 vs. 75.  For one average driver that would amount to about one extra day.  Driving teams, less than that.

In my pickup, that hypothetical 3000 mile trip would cost an extra $210 in fuel at 75 vs. 55.

In these old buses, would it be fair to say there is a 2mpg difference between 55 and 75? (I don't know, my bus tops at 62)  Using that figure because it seems familiar from previous discussions, the 3000 mile trip would cost an additional $700 in fuel at 75 vs. 55.  How much is a day worth?

If a fully loaded truck on the 3000 mile run gained just 1.5mpg it would save 138 gallons, $578 at $4.19/gal.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2008, 05:11:31 AM »

I am surprised that free-wheeling busnuts would want to invite the government more deeply into their hobby. 
Some prefer to have decisions made for them, then they don't have to think for themselves & they can deny responsibility for their actions.  Sad

This country was more successful when we had smaller govt, fewer laws, more prayer in schools, public corporal punishment, & the press used some discretion.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
BusCrazyTom

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2008, 05:24:29 AM »

Here here, Kyle! A standing ovation!

BusCrazyTom the Analog Dinosaur
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2008, 05:59:23 AM »

I am surprised that free-wheeling busnuts would want to invite the government more deeply into their hobby. 
Some prefer to have decisions made for them, then they don't have to think for themselves & they can deny responsibility for their actions.  Sad

This country was more successful when we had smaller govt, fewer laws, more prayer in schools, public corporal punishment, & the press used some discretion.

I whole heartedly agree with you on this point and it does make me think hard about it.

But if a national reduction in consumption is needed, that is the most gentle approach.  I would much rather see the restrictions on drilling in Alaska and the gulf shores opened up and it make it easier to get a refinery built.  But I don't think that is going to happen any time soon, especially with the direction the next elections are likely to go.  Sad
Sojourner

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2008, 07:14:59 AM »

Amen! Kyle!....The truth is good to hear!

About 55 speed limit.....It is our disadvantage to us bus nuts when we come down hill, we need the extra momentum to try make the upcoming hill with less black smoke in the long run for us non-turbo.  However the same applied to turbo equips by trying keep exhaust temperature at lowest scale while climbing.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 10:54:34 AM by Sojourner » Logged
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2008, 09:16:48 AM »

Right idea Len, you just aren't thinking through. What we need is a 35 or 25 MPH national speed limit. Just think of the fuel and lives we could save and we could get rid of cars. Everybody knows how dangerous those are; everyone could ride trains and buses as those are much safer and more fuel efficient. Those single family houses have to go. We can put up apartment buildings where you work, much easier to heat and cool one building and no more commuting. The savings are just endless if we just put the government in charge of everthing.

I am reminded of this story. Right after Nixon announced the nation wide 55 MPH limit he flew back to California and to show he was with the people he had his plane fly 10% slower than normal cruise. Of course, his plane use more fuel because normal cruise is best fuel mileage.
rcbishop

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2008, 06:05:49 PM »

Bobsw....the most sensible repsonse for sure.... Do it your way!!!!!!!!!!! Cool

FWIW
RCB
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2008, 10:59:20 PM »

H.T. Redneck,
     I did not check your figures but even if they are correct, 14 hours of drive time is probably two days not one.  Seven hours of drive time is enough in one day(unless I'm on the way to collect on my winning lottery ticket).  Two days is 20% of a 10-day vacation!

You don't have to believe everything you think.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2008, 05:19:41 AM »

H.T. Redneck,
     I did not check your figures but even if they are correct, 14 hours of drive time is probably two days not one.  Seven hours of drive time is enough in one day(unless I'm on the way to collect on my winning lottery ticket).  Two days is 20% of a 10-day vacation!

If I'm just casually driving and stopping at points of interest along the way, you're right, seven hours is enough for one day.  But when I am driving for the purpose of getting efficiently to a destination (i.e. a vacation destination), I have always planned 14 hours driving per day.  That leaves 2 hours for stops and 8 hours for sleep/relax time.

As for the math.

3000 miles / 75mph = 40 hours driving.
3000 miles / 55mph = 54.5 hours

3000 miles / 5mpg = 600 gallons
3000 miles / 7mpg = 429 gallons

171 gallons x $4.19/gal = $716.49

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2008, 05:29:59 AM »

We typically drive about 60 MPH, taking non-interstata highways. Last week, we had to make an emergency trip from NC to Il because Paula's father is not doing well. This was a quick trip with the destination as the goal (14 hour drive 0400-1800).We drove almost all interstate highways with the cruise set at 68-69. This trip was made in our Grand Cherokee, averaging 19 MPH. While we usually drive closer to 55, I like the option of running closer to 70 if neccessary.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2008, 07:36:26 AM »

While we usually drive closer to 55, I like the option of running closer to 70 if neccessary. 

I like the option also.

Its like anything else, those who are not going to obey the law won't anyway.

I believe I had just as many people zipping by me when it was 55 or 70.

I have been experimenting for awhile with different speeds and figuring out my mileage.

If I am in no hurry (I hope), I chose to cruise slower and reep the savings, but sometimes we are having such a good time on a trip, that the extra fuel is worth the extra time spent at our destination.

Yea, I like the options

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2008, 09:37:39 PM »

Interesting tidbits about the old 55 mph NSL:

~~  It was the most violated law nationwide since Prohibition.

~~  The California Highway Patrol's Academy is quite close to I-80 on the northern fringe of Sacramento.  During the 55 NSL, the average speed past the CHP's school was 75 mph - the fastest average in CA at the time.

Go figure. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
GM0406

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2008, 09:34:03 AM »

RJ,  Noticed CHP set up before and after their station.  A word of caution to gamblers, better to set cruise for limit in those areas.  Bill T.
cody

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2008, 10:16:55 AM »

I think the proposed 55 speed limit is a governmental ploy to get me to speed up, I even think libby is in on the conspiracy, I heard a nasty rumor that she is thinking about putting a caster on the bottom of my cane too.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: