Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
June 18, 2018, 08:51:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Handicap / Wheelchair Lift  (Read 3730 times)
DavidInWilmNC

1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2008, 06:19:51 PM »

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Chevy Express 3500 van that's equipped for a wheel chair.  It has a power folding wheel chair lift and a swiveling power driver's seat on a long track.  I'm trying to sell these, but so far haven't had any luck.  I'd just as soon donate them and get a tax write-off, but I can't find anywhere locally that's interested.  What have others done with the lift that's in some buses?  Does anybody know of any organizations that would be interested in this equipment?  It all works fine.  It's bulky and heavy and I don't have anywhere to store it, and I really don't want to scrap it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

David
fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 06:41:27 PM »

Have you talked to any VFW or veterans agencies?...Cable 

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
DavidInWilmNC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 06:53:05 PM »

Have you talked to any VFW or veterans agencies?...Cable 

No, but I haven't found any locally in the phone book.  Perhaps I need to look more online.  Of course, there's always Good Will and the Salvation Army, but I'm hoping that it will go somewhere it will get used.  This equipment was around $8,000 new.  Thanks for the suggestions.

David
orfunauto/Darrell

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 07:07:08 PM »

David, Check with the Disabled American Veterans organization.  They should have a chapter there in Wilmington.  If not, please email me at darrell dot passer AT us dot af dot mil.  I will be more than happy to get you the information.  There are too many soldiers coming back from the desert that need this kind of equipment.  Thanks!

74 MCI 8
LaGrange, NC
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 05:44:10 AM »

My bus had a wheel chair lift. I tried everything I could think of to get rid of it. I even adverized it in the paper.  No orginazation would take it becuse of liability issues. People that need them are supplied with them. I finally junked it!! 
 I'm not saying dont try to give it to a worthy cause, your experience may be different. If doing it today I would try craigslist.
                                                                 Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

DavidInWilmNC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 07:17:26 AM »

Darrell checked for me and, as others have found, nobody wants it due to liability.  We truly do live in a throw-away society when the only reason (some) people will buy / take anything is when there's an avenue for a lawsuit.  I put it on Craigslist last week and have had no interest.  I'd think a person doing deliveries would want this lift, as it has a tri-fold platform and takes up very little space.  How disappointing that this very expensive piece of equipment may end up being junked.

David
Sojourner

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 07:26:20 AM »

I can use it for my wife. Would be really nice to have since I have been llooking for one for a long time now. If it is not too late and you are interested, please tell me where you are located. Send me an email and I will contact you. I live in Elloree, SC, and we are planning on visiting Andrews, NC shortly. Thank you.

Email: Silverclip1 at aol dot com

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
DavidInWilmNC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 08:24:13 AM »

I can use it for my wife. Would be really nice to have since I have been llooking for one for a long time now. If it is not too late and you are interested, please tell me where you are located. Send me an email and I will contact you. I live in Elloree, SC, and we are planning on visiting Andrews, NC shortly. Thank you.

Email: Silverclip1 at aol dot com

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I just sent you an email.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 11:05:28 AM »

How disappointing that this very expensive piece of equipment may end up being junked.

David

I hate waste, but I tried in 2 states, Oregon and NY. Used friends contacts, the phone, the paper. How much time can you put into something??   Hopefully Jerry and his lovely bride can use it.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 12:52:26 AM »

We have one in our Neoplan.  We are going to leave it in as long as possible to  haul heavy stuff into the bus.  Then we are thinking of mounting it on our back porch since there are stairs to climb on all the entrances.  We have elderly here and it won't be too much longer they won't be able to climb those stairs.  Dragging a wheel chair up them would be a real pain.  Handicap accessable houses are becoming real popular.

Don and Cary
GMC4107
Neoplan AN340

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
DavidInWilmNC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 05:11:24 AM »

Oddly enough, as soon as I have a taker for it (Jerry), another person needing it comes along... all the way from Texas!  That's how it goes; if you have one, nobody wants it.  As soon as it's spoken for, somebody needs one!

luvrbus

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 06:41:41 AM »

David, a lot of guys use the chair rail to power a generator slide or a power cover for the stairs and the folding part to make steps for the bus and I have saw leveling systems made from the hydraulic units so if no one takes it that's a option for you
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: