Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 06:52:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holding tanks sizes, types, round, rectangle Who is using what?  (Read 4717 times)
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 08:45:12 AM »

Chaz, sure hope the glass doesn't break!  or is it so heavy it won't?

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 10:12:16 AM »

Chaz, sure hope the glass doesn't break!  or is it so heavy it won't?

Brings to mind the scene from Lethal Weapon where he shoots that wall size aquarium tank.  All the fish came swiming out in the gush of water.  If a glass waste tank broke ... brown trout on the loose.  Shocked
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 11:35:47 AM »

... brown trout on the loose.  Shocked

Grin Now that's funny........I don't care who yo momma is.

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
chazwood

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 11:41:06 AM »

You GO boy!!!!   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin    Seeing "floaters" and "sinkers" would be the high point of my day!! LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Chaz

That's another benefit of having a glass tank......we all know that floater stools mean you are eating proper amounts of fiber. What better way to know than to just open a bay and check?

As the doc. says.

"keep your stools large and floating,"
"avoid discomfort of stomach bloating"

(or something similar....can't remember.)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 11:43:06 AM by chazwood » Logged

1983 Eagle Bus Model 10
6V92
Thekempters.com
bowmaga
Betty Owner 1

Super Betty

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 06:39:47 PM »

Attached are pics of my Grey/black holding tanks.  All three will barely fit length wise with plumbing, I plan on making a battery rack to slide 8 house batteries in above one low tank, store some blocking below the middle tank and do something above the second low tank.  The two low tanks will be my grey water which will be tied together, and the higher middle tank will be for my toilet which will be right above it.  This way if i want to pop the the plug on the grey tanks and drain them i can.  I've never done that but i know your aloud tow...just doesn't seem right.  I will then have shutoff's to block off the black tank from the grey tanks, then i can drain the black tank separately also.   The silver buttons on the end of the tank are for the water tank monitor.   Next post I will have pics of the fresh tanks. 

Greg Bowman
1979 MCI MC9
bowmaga
Betty Owner 1

Super Betty

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 06:51:14 PM »

Here are the pics of my fresh tanks.  These are 97 gallon tanks.  I have three, I pulled one out so you could see the side.  I had them put four fittings in the end of the tanks.  3 are 3/4" spin fittings and the middle top is a fill tube.  I actually will take a bilge hose and connect the 3 tanks with fittings at the top middle fill tube location.  I will then take 3/4" pex fittings and screw into the other 3 spots.  Top left corner I will then pex up some fittings and shutoffs to where I can attached a garden hose to fill the tank.  By connecting all three I can fill them all with one connection, plus this will allow me to hook up to a pressurized campground system....I think.  I never have done that before.  the top rights will then become vents from pex fittings, and the bottom middle will be where I draw the water out of the tanks, which those to, will also all be connected together with shutoffs between.  Being all connected, I can have the option of only filling 1-2 or all three tanks.  I like options.  PEX is easy and fairly cheap considering it takes about 10 seconds to put a lot together, and i can do it without worries of leaks.  Hope this helps anyone that is interested. 

Greg Bowman
1979 MCI MC9
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 07:03:03 PM »

This way if i want to pop the the plug on the grey tanks and drain them i can.  I've never done that but i know your aloud tow...just doesn't seem right.   

Not in most govt. owned parks.  The one's I've been to have rules and signs specifying that no waste water can be dumped anywhere but in the provided dump stations.

From a moral standpoint, if it is just shower water, I don't have an issue with it.  But gray water that includes kitchen sink waste water can be nearly as foul as black water.
Blacksheep

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 07:09:02 PM »

I agree with HTR but let me also suggest that you may want to box in your tanks if you haven't already considered it. Plastic tanks will bulge when full or partially full and since you already said they barely fit, it may change your design plans!
BS
bowmaga
Betty Owner 1

Super Betty

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 05:39:07 AM »

yea, I don't plan on popping the grey tanks ever on there own out in public, but living in farm country, I can back up to my field and dump them in the edge, and then I take her to a local dump station for the black water.  Either way, doesn't matter.  The black tanks don't bulge, nor do the fresh tanks, on these.  The fresh tanks are over 3/8" sidewalls and are pretty sound.  I will build angle iron frames for all the tanks and bolt them to the bus cargo bays and floor. 

Greg Bowman
1979 MCI MC9
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2008, 06:20:54 AM »

This reply is to Bowmaga. My understanding from your replies is that you will have 3 95 gallon black/gray tanks and 3 97 gallon water tanks. If for some reason you should fill all the tanks to capacity and with water weighing 8.345 pounds per gallon, my calculations show that you would be carrying around
4806.72 pounds. 3x95=285x8.345=2378.32 lbs, 3x97=291x8.345=2428.395 lbs or 4806.72 total. Why would you want 6 tanks and why would you want the possibility of carrying around over 2 1/4 tons of liquid water and waste, excluding the weight of your diesel fuel. Diesel fuel weighs 6.65 to 7.5 lbs per gallon and with a 160 gallon tank that adds another 1200lbs based on 7.5x160=1200lbs. 4806+1200=6006 lbs. With our conversions only usually getting 5 to 8 miles a gallon of diesel fuel, I would not want to reduce that even more with excess weight. It's your conversion but it seems over kill to me. Just my thought because I am getting ready to install tanks also.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2008, 06:24:39 AM »

I dont think he will have all 6 tanks full at the same time.  That would spell disaster on the next flush!

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
bowmaga
Betty Owner 1

Super Betty

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2008, 06:52:14 AM »

When i leave my house, I will have the three 97 gallon fresh water tanks full x 8.33 = 2424 lbs of water.  I will only need the 3 tanks full probably a couple times a year.  Myself and 3 of my friends all own this bus together.  Twice a year, we take our wives on one of our trips, usually a 3-4 day trip.  W/ us 8 and maybe a couple more other people taking showers, using the toilet, outside water, etc, we will go through that much water in a 3-4 day period.  I had a skoolie before this, and had 240 and 240 of fresh and holding, and w/ just 8 people we easily went through nearly all the water while attending country concert at Fort Loramie Ohio.  Everywhere we go, there isn't hook up to water, electric, or sewer.  SO we have to plan for everything.

I will only fill the fresh tanks...what would be the reason for leaving with w/ black and grey tanks full!!!!!! 

If I have 300 gallons of fresh water capacity, I feel i need 300 gallons of grey and black water holding, for a place for that fresh to go.

Did I clear up my madness?

Greg Bowman
1979 MCI MC9
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2008, 07:50:47 AM »

Maybe I just looked into to hard. But there is always that possibility. But it is understandable with multiple people on board. Thanks.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
blue_goose

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2008, 08:43:58 AM »

Six for drinks.

Four for meals.

Two for sleep.

Saves lots of problems with tanks.

Data used in this document is made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles. No electrons were harmed in the creation of this document.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2008, 09:01:54 AM »

I have had both my grey/black tank and freshwater tanks fulll several times. Usually when leaveing a site with no dump available but has potable water. I will fill the freshwater and head to a dumpstation. I know the quality of the water where I am but do not know what it will be or even if it is available where I am going.
 When setting up tanks is a good time to plan for a macerator pump.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: