Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 22, 2014, 07:36:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Toad got beat up by an Alligator!  (Read 3763 times)
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2008, 03:55:05 PM »

On our return trip from wintering in FL to our beautiful mountains in western NC our trip was punctuated with one mishap I don't care to have a return engagement with......

Just south of Macon on I-75 I was peacefully tooling along between 60-65 in surprisingly light traffic. Ahead of me I spotted an Alligator lying crosswise directly in my lane. Quickly checking the left mirror I realized that the trucker about to pass me knew nothing about my predicament and wasn't about to read a turn signal.

I took the crittur head on as I had no choice. The front axle probably disturbed its' slumber and the rear duals really peed it off...so by the time it got to my Toad, a 2005 Scion, it was really snarling. It was a mess to say the least.  All this, of course I was unaware of and it didn't penetrate my 4" thick skull that the Toad might have had a problem...hell it didn't bother the bus!

The Scion sits very low to ground it has a problem getting over my pain threshold. There's a bunch of tore up plastic sitting on 4 wheels...and the insurance Company tells me that it has to be repaired under my Collision Coverage ($500.00 deductible) even though the bus  caused the problem. "You can't be the plaintiff and the defendant at the same time".

Trust that next time I see a 'gator on the road, when I'm in my car, I'll make a u-turn if necessary and pull that rascal off the road.  Wish someone has done that for me.

NCbob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
ghanson

MC 9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 04:10:27 PM »

Any Photos?  The thing was alive, is this correct? How fast are we talkin'?  How big a critter?  Need way more information.....g

Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 04:15:23 PM »

It's only a guess but I think he means a tread from a truck tire...

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 04:19:29 PM »

Sorry to hear your unfortune "luck"

Glad that no one got hurt in the accident,

Good luck with the repairs of the toad,

Does the Alligator/tread have representation, or maybe that would have only happened in NJ...

Gary

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
gus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 04:21:35 PM »

Was this animal or rubber??

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Dallas

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 04:24:20 PM »

Ummm,

I think Bob was talking about a tiregator, hopefully. I'd hate to think he viciously attacked a kindly, well meaning itty bitty alligator!

Any Photos?  The thing was alive, is this correct? How fast are we talkin'?  How big a critter?  Need way more information.....g
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 04:27:32 PM »

No, it WAS the living, breathing kind.....or so I am told....

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 04:55:17 PM »

Ummm,
I think Bob was talking about a tiregator, hopefully. I'd hate to think he viciously attacked a kindly, well meaning itty bitty alligator!

I think thats a Aggravator!    Tongue

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 05:57:38 PM »

Isn't that called aggrivated alligator assault (would that be alligated assault?)  or something like that?

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
superpickle

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 07:48:25 PM »

Isn't that called aggrivated alligator assault (would that be alligated assault?)  or something like that?

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

You guys are going to give him a Guilty Conscience and hes going to turn himself in for Jail Time..
LOL.. Want you to thimk though, Glad you were NOT in that Rollerskate..
I see them Scoins as a Hazard..

Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 08:00:20 PM »

SuperPicle, I drove that Scion a while back.  Don't underestimate them.  They are very roomy and drive nice!
In fact, I may get one for out toad too!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
cody

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 08:03:33 PM »

I'm excersizing all the self control I can muster lol.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 09:23:25 PM »

I'm sure Bob meant a tire tread gator.  If not, then maybe his last name is actually Dundee.

Trust that next time I see a 'gator on the road, when I'm in my car, I'll make a u-turn if necessary and pull that rascal off the road.  Wish someone has done that for me.

NCbob
bobsw

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 09:26:57 PM »

Just a word of caution. If you stop to pull chunk of rubber out of the road it can be hotter than hell and have little wire barbs. Use gloves.

73 MCI-7
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 05:51:59 AM »

Bob, please dont stop and try to pull a real alligator from the road by the tail, some of us like you!!

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 06:02:51 AM »

Bob, please dont stop and try to pull a real alligator from the road by the tail, some of us like you!!
WHO?

Just kiddin' Bob. Glad you & Jackie are well!  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
cody

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 06:12:37 AM »

I can't help picturing it from the gators point of view, " wow, martha, I was just on the interstate playing speed bump and along came this snowbird, he had a really crazed look on his face and his knuckles were white, that big bus was a challenge and I'm not sure if I won that one, but man, did I get it's baby, lol"  Bob, I tryed but I just couldn't control myself lmao.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 06:29:26 AM »

Bob,
   If it was a real gator, did you stop and get the tail? Nothin' better than fried gator tail.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 08:21:41 AM »

The reason Bob didn't stop is because he was afraid it wouldn't restart. You know how those old MCI's are   Grin

Hey Bob, speaking of old, the stable mate made it up Sunday just as planned. Yep, we had planned for a few 'opportunities' along the way.  Grin

The starter lost a part - the pivot pin for the bendix fell out, so they just push started it with a ranger pickup. I guess that DD residue did for the ford what spinach did for PopEye  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 11:28:55 AM »

Bob

glad you made it back to god's country. Will try to get by before long.Will be heading down to Genes next week for the rally. Missed your pretty face at the rally in charlotte but we managed allthough it was hard.

Take care good buddy.

uncle ned

ps will let you borrow my box if you need it

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 11:53:59 AM »

I can't help picturing it from the gators point of view, " wow, martha, I was just on the interstate playing speed bump and along came this snowbird, he had a really crazed look on his face and his knuckles were white, that big bus was a challenge and I'm not sure if I won that one, but man, did I get it's baby, lol"  Bob, I tryed but I just couldn't control myself lmao.

This from a guy who watches a turtle spend all day making his way from the woods over to the garage/wood shop entrance to check out what's going on. Then picks him up and carries him right back to where he started from! Last time the turtle was seen he was cussing Cody, " Thanks alot Bub! You just cost me a days travel time before the storm, and put right back where I came from! !@#%*?:*&^$%# SNOWBIRDS!"
LOL! Sorry Cody I JUST COULDN'T RESIST! Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »

Well Jack, that was the last of the snowbirds,  Grin  things can get back to normal around here........ Cool

Bill
Tampa Bay

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 02:25:21 PM »

Let me get this correct.  You ran over REAL LIVE alligator and it tore up your toad?  Wow!  Up here in Oregon it is deer that cause the pain. Could be worse....might have been a big moose up north which may have ended up thru your windshield and in your lap....all 1000 pounds of it....and in a very very bad mood.  AUUGHHHHH!  Was anyone hurt? (other than the alligator?)  Good luck.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2008, 05:16:31 AM »

It was the rubber tire tread. The PETA crowd can stand down as no blood was shed & the real alligator is still alive & well, living on a diet of smaller animals.  Wink

Bob's been busy setting up base camp & getting 'Mama' happy.  Grin  Cool

jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2008, 06:24:43 AM »

Bob if you find a Gator in the road and you really think it needs to be moved. Call a professional. You have his number.

NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2008, 06:42:03 AM »

Thanks Jim. I'll certainly keep your advice in mind. I wonder...are alligator wrestlers like cops in that when you need one they're all off having coffee and donuts?

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2008, 10:24:39 AM »

Bob if you find a Gator in the road and you really think it needs to be moved. Call a professional. You have his number.

Hey! I resemble that remark.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2008, 04:30:57 AM »

You need to be careful what you say about this type of person Bob. You dont want an angry paramedic showing up at your next heart attack!!!!

Sojourner

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2008, 04:56:49 PM »

LOL...
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: