Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 10:24:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Updated questions on Commercial Insurance vs. a Not-For-Hire business  (Read 864 times)
Dakell12

Ignore
« on: May 08, 2008, 08:03:43 AM »

Hi everyone, I wrote a few weeks ago about my search for commercial insurance. I want to run an interstate entertainer coach that I will rent out to bands traveling around the country. I am having A LOT of trouble finding insurance, however. The main reasons seem to be the age of the bus (1985 MCI 96a3), my age (24), and a speeding ticket on my MVR (20-39 over in a car). I am principally going to work with one band, so does anyone know anything about a loophole that I could expose if i were to only work with a single entity? Thanks for the help! Also, if you DO have insurance referalls, I'll take them!
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 08:22:38 AM »

It's sometimes a fine line between what's right and what's expedient.  While it's not right, I know for a fact that there are leased entertainer coaches running up and down the road as private motor homes.  I doubt that the DOT would ever pull you over but an accident or moving violation might expose you to world of problems.

Perhaps if you were a member of the band it might make a difference.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
compedgemarine

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 09:01:17 AM »

in the legal definition if the band is paid or compensated in any way you are a commercial vehicle. you could probably get away with calling yourself private but if push came to shove you will lose out.
steve
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 09:14:17 AM »

FWIW, I don't buy insurance because the law requires it. I buy insurance to cover my a$$ & limit my cash outlay in case things go badly. When the stuff hits the fan, I want the insurance company backing me up - NOT assisting in the fraud charges against me.

So, it is with that background that I say that anyone who is lying/ deceiving the insurance company just to get coverage, is wasting their $$.

If the speeding ticket is the issue, ask if there are training courses they recognise to allow you coverage.

I remember my insurance rates when I was 24, & I feel for you. In my case, it was justified  Shocked   

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 12:10:05 PM »

keep looking.  You would be amazed at the different prices/possibilties different brockers have.   Sometimes as much as 500%.  My insuarance co wanted to double my rates for no reason (no accidents just a change in policY)  I changed brokers and now pay less for 2 vehicles than I used to pay for one, and when I started with the first insurer they were the least expensive, a few years later everything had changed.   Another possibilty is licensing/insuring/registering in a more leniant state.  Just make sure it's legal.
p.s. where I live a commercial vehicle has much more stringent safety standards, and a fairly constant inspection schedule (yearly)

HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 02:15:14 PM »

Also check out the rates for different States.  For example, auto/bus insurance in general is quite $cheaper$ up here in Oregon than in Commiefornia (California) just 30 miles south. We also have found that a good relationship with your private insurance agent may make quite a difference.  Business is business. Good luck.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: