Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 22, 2014, 01:08:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hydrogen generator?  (Read 4672 times)
ttomas

Ignore
« on: May 10, 2008, 03:50:44 PM »

Anybody have any experience with a hydrogen generator added to a diesel, or knowledge about it?  thanks  Tomas
captain ron

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 05:32:07 PM »

Check the "Green Bus" thread at the top of the page.

There's a hydrogen generator being built here next week but for a gas truck.
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 09:05:13 PM »

For some info on water fuel cells google up joe water fuel cell and see 137 minutes of video on experiments with differant cells and cars operating on them . very interesting.. Jerry

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 09:55:09 PM »

At Los Angeles Freightliner in Whittier, Ca., we are in the process of building a hydrogen fuel cell powered truck.  Will let you know how it turns out.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 01:44:46 PM »

Tom
Will you be using hydrogen stored in a tank just like gas?  I think the question relates to using an on demand hydrogen generator in conjunction with a current fuel system.  Or I could just be lost in place again Smiley

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
Songman

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 02:06:57 PM »

Don and I were at a CARB meeting in Riverside a couple of months ago and started talking to an engineer who was also there. He was pointing out the flaws in the regulations that CARB is putting on everyone. He said that he was working on developing a hydrogen system that could run a diesel engine. Not in conjunction with the diesel, but totally running it. I offered to let him use my Isuzu generator that is sitting idle now for his testing. So far, never heard anything back from him though.
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 06:49:50 PM »

One problem with hydrogen that nobody mentions much, is that if you have to carry all your fuel, hydrogen takes up something like 18 times more space than diesel for equivalent fuel energy.  I don't know about you, but I like my 1500 mile cruise range.  and to have to stop every 100 miles in the bus to fuel up, or give up all my bay space does not really do it for me.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »

They are going to carry water and make the hydrogen in place for the generator. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 08:27:47 PM »

if you notice, the Hydrogen Fuel cell buses all have quite large tanks mounted on the roof
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 01:47:41 PM »

Hey Song man, is/was your Isuzu diesel APU idling sitting or it is sitting idle?  He he he.  This whole idea of hydrogen generation now has my very limited attention.  Seems too good to be true....kinda like getting something for nothing.  Seems to me the energy required to liberate the hydrogen would exceed any additional energy released burning it?  But then again....I dunno.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 02:28:00 PM »

hydrodgen is not really an energy source, but rather an energy delivery system.  We don't find hydrogen just laying around, nor can we pump it out of the ground.  On the scale of vehicle usage, we'd have to make it by adding energy to water.  Best is to do this on site, rather than trucking it.  It would take 18 truckloads to be the equavalent of one truckload of conventional fuel. 

So there are inefficiencies in createing the hydrogen and then again in burning it.  Maybe one reason why straight electric maybe more efficient.

Its nice because at the vehicle, its clean burning, but you have to look at the entire system, infrastructure to evaluate if its the right move or not.  If you are making electricity to make the hydrogen by burning coal, you are probably making more pollution than doing it the old fashioned way.  If you use solar to create electricity to make hydrodgen,then you're getting somewhere.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
cody

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 03:13:58 PM »

Hydrogen on demand is probably going to be the fuel of choice, it's relatively easy to produce and much safer than on onboard fuel cell.
Songman

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 03:20:49 PM »

HB, I'd love to hear it idle! It has been sitting idle for way too long... Some idling would be nice!

I don't pretend to understand the processes of hydrogen. But the guy we were talking to is an engineer and he seems to think there is something great that can be done. With fuel prices heading skyward, I am open to anything!
haroldmc8

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 05:44:27 PM »

the hydrogen generator breaks down water into hydrogen and oxygen.The mixture is called browns gas. It is injected into the aircleaner. The engine draws as much air as usual, but now it has brown gas mixed with the air. This mixture burns more efficiently and gives the engine more power, cleaner exhaust,cleaner oil and about 20%-30% increase in fuel mileage in semi trucks.There are a lot of different technologies out there on how to generate the hydrogen,different types of fuel cells. A lot of them use a caustic solution , baking soda, potassium, lye and others. I prefer the use of mineral water and dis telled water solution. When the gas flows into your engine,some water vapor will be present and will be burned in the combustion chamber.  I don't want any lye inside my engine. I have researched this topic and will be installing a system on my pickup truck soon. The bus will come later as the fuel prices are killing me on the pickup right now and I expect to get at least a 50% increase in fuel mileage on it.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 06:19:43 PM »

Is this the device you are talking about?

http://www.runyourcarwithwater.com/?hop=webdirect2

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: