Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 01, 2014, 09:47:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone dare use Draino or Liquid Plmbr on your shower drain?  (Read 1000 times)
TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« on: May 11, 2008, 09:00:34 AM »

Don't really wanna go below and take the trap apart... any danger to the plastic tank with these chems?

dg

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 09:03:49 AM »

Once the drain is cleared, best to drain right away and then flush out a couple of times.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 09:16:54 AM »

Bleach works well and doesn't hurt plumbing.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 09:53:27 AM »

If you have a combination black/grey tank dont use bleach!!!!!

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 09:56:05 AM »

If you have a combination black/grey tank dont use bleach!!!!!

Why?  Does it turn the black water grey and the grey water to white?  hehehhe!

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 09:58:09 AM »

Yes your floaters will look tiedyed Shocked

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

Sojourner

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 10:07:57 AM »

Your answers are ALL here:

http://www.drano.com/unclog-drain/

Bleach is only uses to kill bacteria.....so what jjrbus said is a warning to keep it working.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
Ray D

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 10:52:17 AM »

Be careful, draino is corrosive to metals (like the strainer) and will absoultly eat into your solid surface sink.  I have never seen any advantage to this stuff.  Use your plunger and for hair buildup which is 90% of your problems, gets caught at the basket strainer and trap.  I use a skinny piece of plastic 16" long that is barbed, you push it in and it catches the hair.  I found it at Home Depot.

Ray D
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 12:18:25 PM »

It is true the bleach will kill tank bacteria, but you will be putting more in with the next use.  Anyway, it really is best to do this when connected to a city system since you do not need to be emptying any weird chemical load (bleach, drano, etc) into a septic tank.  Bleach will dissolve most organic material.  I have put hair in a cup to test it, and it works.  If using it, I put in just enough to fill the trap, leave it overnight and flush it out next day.  Sometimes I do it periodically as a preventative and to destroy whatever colony of beast may have grown there.  I assume that they are plotting against me.   There are what they call "enzyme" drain cleaners that clean away blockages and all accumulated gunk in the pipes.  They usually take several overnight treatments and, I believe, are really doses of gunk-hungry bacteria.  I used to put some of the stuff in the holding tanks instead of the regular tank additives.  It seemed that it digested everything down to sludge.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 12:29:17 PM »

A solution that works well for drains clogged by grease or cosmetics, is 1/2 cup of baking soda and 1/2 cup of vinegar.  Let is set in drain for 5 minutes, then flush with boiling water.  Works for me.
Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: