Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 05:28:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Headliner  (Read 3853 times)
LarryN 4106

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2008, 05:24:18 AM »

Yes, I know this is a tired old subject. We have been using our bus for 4 years and it time to resume the conversion process. Here is what I want to do. I want to buy some "hull liner" fabric from a boat supply place. It is like carpet with no backing. I want to just glue it to my existing 4106 stock ceiling. I wonder if anyone has done it this way? I am wanting to use an adhesive that allows me to reposition the fabric, but one that will set up quick so that I can move on to the next section. Yes, I intend to respect the "sections" and maybe put somes sort of wood capstrip, stained, over the "joints". I know that some sort of contact cement would be better but I am worried about getting it right the first time with that stuff. Yes, I am looking for a "Quick" headliner.

Or......has anyone just rolled on a texture paint onto the old linoleum of whatever that stuff is?
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 05:30:49 AM »

IMHO carpeted ceiling is the one of the worst mistakes you can make.

It allows all sorts of stuff to stuck to the ceiling, smells, smoke, cooking grease etc.

fast way to have your bus start to smell inside
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 05:51:26 AM »

How about using naugahyde over the original panels?  You take a panel off, glue the hyde over it and wrap the edges around the panel and put it back up using the original hardware.  If you wanted the plush look, add some 1/2 inch foam to the panel, then cover it.  Gotta agree with Teke, carpet gets NASTY!  Good Luck!

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
LarryN 4106

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 06:26:17 AM »

My bus is just a few feet from my office. I will go see if I can determine how hard it would be to remove the existing panels.
buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 06:28:56 AM »

I took my original panels down and used contact adhesive to cover them in vinyl.  I then made some new aluminum strips to cover the space between the panels.

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 06:30:33 AM »

Another pic.

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 06:37:36 AM »

I glued a hull liner on the ceiling with 3M spray on glue. All in one piece from front of the bus to the back. It was resting on 3 saw horses so I was under it and pushing it up onto the glue. You trim it after it is up with a sharp knife. It went very well. It looks great. It is a very short hair material and I don't think it would pick up any smell. It is made for boats and is not like carpet.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
luvrbus

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 06:51:53 AM »

Are you guys talking about the Ozite material made for boats and RVs or a different type here
RTS/Daytona

Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 06:54:15 AM »

Come on guy - get out of the DARK AGES

I agree OLD MATERIAL/CLOTH/COTTON Based carpet is bad

BUT

The new Ozite  polypropylene / indoor/outdoor carpet are GREAT for ceilings

see--> http://www.rvsurplussalvage.com/catalog/display.php?product_id=4022

They are made from old milk containers -

they don't hold odors

If you get cooking grease on them - wipe them down with strong cleaner / mineral spirits / etc / almost nothing hurts them

all the RV manufacturers use it

EASY install / EAsy Clean / Long Lasting / sound deading -- what's not to like

I used --> http://www.wwhenry.com/prod-351.htm to glue my carpet to the walls /
DO NOT USED WATER BASED GLUE - They just don't hold well - use a good grade of SOLVENT based glue

You can also use spray contact cement - BUT YOU MUST DOUBLE COAT any BARE WOOD or OZITE SURFACE - beacuse they are so porus - and remember - you only get ONE SHOT at placement - unlike the carpet cement

I did my ceiling in 5' x 5' Baltic Birch (aka russian birch) 1/8 panel on the ground then put them up
IN HIND SIGHT - i would use 2' x 5' 1/8 panel and assemble them to the ceiling in 2' wide sections using "h" moulding that is screws to the ceiling - just put the first panel in and press and screw  "h" moulding at the open end and continue down the coach

Pete  (Just the way I see it - Do what you want guys)

P.S. - My OZITE CEILING / WALLs in my RTS have been installed for 3 years with ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 08:29:52 AM »

The problem with carpet (Ozite) is it will hold smells and airborne greases from cooking.
Ron
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 08:32:52 AM »

and dust etc.

fine for a boats hull that your head is not a few inches from...and you can hose down.

would not be my choice, but as they say here.  Do It your way..... and as I say, your the one that has to live with it or do it over
luvrbus

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 08:35:58 AM »

Guys I don't think the new stuff (Ozite) is that way seen in the newer S&S and looks good to me
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 08:41:05 AM »

I donlt think it looks bad but anything that is not smooth will get dirty and smell in long term
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 08:51:51 AM »

I used Ozite in our truck conversion and on the door of our bus (left over material from the truck) and it is TERRIBLE to try to keep clean!!

We are not smokers and don't do much cooking, but you could see the dirt around the AC unit in the truck.  I don't recall that I was ever able to get it clean. 

We used the Ozite to dampen the noise and I think it did a good job of that. 

Most folks put a thin layer of foam between the panel and the vinyl (about 3/16 as I recall from my Bus Conversion Workshop).  That makes it look nicer and should help a bit with the noise.

Be very careful of the spray adhesive you use.  It can get very hot in a parked bus and most adhesives will fail in time.  Use the spray adhesive that they use for the landau tops!  You can find it at a good upholstery supplier.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
luvrbus

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 09:11:54 AM »

Jim, back when you done your truck all Ozite had was the cotton  and it was hard to clean my wife hated the stuff but like Pete said this a totally different product also vinyl and foam will absorb as much smell as anything.David at Southern Oregon tried for 2 years to get the smell from his MCI  covered with vinyl and foam and finally had to rip it out and start over so I really could not tell any one what to use we have ultra leather in ours and it has problems any place water touchs it and this stuff was $70.00 per yard
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 09:39:52 AM by luvrbus » Logged
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: