Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 03:39:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing to Budd wheels?  (Read 4925 times)
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2008, 08:54:44 PM »

I may have found a buyer (or trader rather) for my 67 Superior.  One question he asked was whether the Dayton wheels could be changed to Budd.  I did not know.  Does anyone know how difficult or costly that would be?

You don't have to believe everything you think.
superpickle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 09:01:54 PM »

Not if they are Bud Lite wheels  Grin

Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.
luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 09:12:07 PM »

Lin, are you talking about changing from spoke to bud when you say Dayton
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 09:50:11 PM »

Maybe they are called spoke wheels also.  They have about 5 very large "spokes" which the wheel is clamped to by tightening down on a retaining "L" shaped piece of steel.  I think that they are also called California wheels, but maybe I have that backwards.

kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 05:03:24 AM »

I would think that it is a matter of finding hubs & brake drums that will work with the axle.
-OR-
Just replace the axles . . . .

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
luvrbus

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 06:13:50 AM »

Lin, do you know what chassis the Superior has because that is going to determine the cost of the hubs and drums
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 07:54:46 AM »

You have to change the hubs out.  A bit of money, but not exorbitant.  There is nothing wrong with Dayton spoke wheels, if you have a good wheel man that knows how to mount them straight.  The main reason they are used is that a truck driver can change the wheel himself without air tools-since the mounting nuts (only 5 or 6) never get bottomed out like a Budd or Hub mounted wheel.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 03:27:41 PM »

Changing the hubs out will be difficult. The drums are different. If you have bus brake shoes you need some pretty rare stuff. A replacement axel set up complete would work but you can't use 7 inch truck brakes so your replacement stuff will probably need to come from the bus world. Maybe some hub caps! Scrap is almost $300 a ton, why don't you sell it.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
Bob Gil
Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 03:52:50 PM »

I am not sure about buses but i am in the process of changing the brakes only from the wedge type to the S cam style and it is expensive.  I was able to find used parts to replace a lot, cut core charges and it is still going to cost about $250 a hub and I am not changing the wheels.  My truck had bud wheels just the none working wedge (stop master) brakes.

Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator
gus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 09:06:38 PM »

Tell your buyer he will have a very rare and fine looking bus if he keeps those Daytons.

Another advantage to them is that the lug nuts take only about half the torque as disc wheels. And, as Tom says, the lug nuts almost never lock up on the bolts.

He can get new rims for the Daytons that take tubeless tires.

These wheels are great but they are a bear when working on the hubs because the hub and spokes are so heavy. Otherwise they are great.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 10:31:20 PM »

I will sing the praises of Dayton wheels if he asks again.  We have made a deal and he is supposed to come tomorrow to complete it.  Hopefully, he does not find a reason to change his mind.

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 07:43:52 AM »

Also- you can get the Dayton spokes polished and then chromed-really looks great and few have them!  Get the rims changed to tubless type.  Dayton type wheels are still in use-mostly on the east coast, Canada and Alaska.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 05:46:03 PM »

The bus just left.  It really felt strange.  I've never seen it on the road since I was always in it.  I guess I have to admit that I really didn't "sell" but rather traded it for equipment that I wanted.  Seems that it should work out well for both of us.  It is nice to be down to one bus, although I know that some on this board would disagree. 

kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 08:14:36 PM »

The bus just left.  It really felt strange.  I've never seen it on the road since I was always in it.  I guess I have to admit that I really didn't "sell" but rather traded it for equipment that I wanted.  Seems that it should work out well for both of us.  It is nice to be down to one bus, although I know that some on this board would disagree. 

Now you get to start looking for the next one  Grin

You need to have 'em in pairs 'ya know!  Cool

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: