Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 04:15:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do with the bus?  (Read 2806 times)
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 04:17:40 PM »

Richard never knew you had that problem sorry to hear about it but me owning a Eagle with a 8v92 I don't know how you could have kinks in the 3" hoses 4 inches long unless somebody threw away the metal pipes.Anyway I have never had a problem with him but have with one you like he left the bolts out of the oil pickup tube on my 8v92 and it didn't last 3 months for 14k and he said sorry not my fault   have a great day and keep up the good work   one other thing who left the vibration damper off that engine

A different radiator was one of the added expenses that they never told me about and it was quite a bit wider than the original. The outlet hose had almost a 90 degree bend in it and it was so short that it cut most of the water flow off. Been a long time but I do not remember there being a metal pipe.

Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
TrevorH

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 05:39:36 PM »

Well thanks for the ideas!  Sorry to have kinda stirred up a mess with the shops and whatnot.  I kinda like the idea of swapping out the tranny if it could be done affordably.  Are there any that might be syncronized?  I have gotten the shifting MOSTLY down (downshifting is a realy SOB) but it kinda locks me into having to drive since everyone else is scared of the size, let alone the shifting.  The gearing now seems pretty good and I have not run it up to the governor in top gear but got up to 78-80 and there was still some left.  It would be nice to have a tach for sure.  The last trip I believe I averaged about 6.5 mpg without using the AC for the second half the trip since it wasnt working properly.  I would be interested what it gets without using the AC at all as I think it sucked ALOT of fuel.  You guys think it would be possible to get this up to 9 mpg if driven consiously?   

1987 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 5 spd MT
Tucson, AZ
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 07:45:02 AM »

Nothing affects mileage more than the driver.  Depending how hard you push it, you could get 4-6 mpg-thats a 50% difference in fuel mileage.  Couple of points.  Best cruise speed is 55mph.  The faster you go the more fuel it takes-period.  When in some of the western states, like California, 55 is doable with the 55mph truck rule.  But realistically, 60 would be my choice-or with a 8V-92TA what ever speed will give you a comfortable 1600 rpm cruise, with no higher than 1800 rpm.
Also, when hitting the hills, let the bus slow down and go up the hill the same speed as the trucks are (if you're on a big highway).  Going up the hill at 35mph with your foot barely on the accelerator with engine revved up will keep it cooler, and exert less strain on everything, rather than trying to see how fast she'll do up the hill.
Most of us are on vacation when driving our bus, so just how fast do you need to go?  Last month I went to Buellton pulling my car and drove right at 55mph by my GPS, which was 1700rpm and got almost 6mpg-which is remarkable for my setup.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: