Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 08:43:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus Building  (Read 5154 times)
Blacksheep

« on: May 17, 2008, 08:27:56 PM »

Finally looking to purchase a building/shop to house the bus and other toys. Maybe a 30x50. I have looked at steel buildings with I-beam and also wood frame with steel covered walls. Any suggestions on dealers and approx. prices. Those that I looked at appeared to be built rather well and that's important down here!

BS
Iver

1979 MCI-9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 01:40:40 AM »

My shop is 28x50.  Wood frame construction with metal roof and metal siding.   It has a full length pit on one side and holds 2 coaches fairly comfortably.

I should have made it 60 ft. long to allow for a work area at the end.  I kept the cost down by building it myself.
        Iver.

Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
"Life may not be the party we hoped for,
But while we are here we might as well dance".
Dreamscape

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 04:43:27 AM »

Richard,

Why is this thread "Off Topic"?

Sounds pretty "On Topic" to me. It is about buses.

Just curious, that's all.

Paul
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 05:19:29 AM »

Ace, I don't know what you budget is but a panel building is strong, well insulated, & easy to put up. You can put windows and doors anywhere you like. They also will withstand hurricanes. Here is just one manufacturer:

http://www.valubuild.com/

There are others.

HTH,

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
Blacksheep

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 05:45:58 AM »

Now I'm really not trying to make waves here but with all the recent topics about buses being moved to "off topic" including this one, can a REAL moderator step in and tell Richard when and what to move? It appears he lost his delete button and has learned to copy and paste!
If a bus building is off topic, can an explanation be given @$# to what IS?
Thank you!
BS
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 06:09:34 AM »

Best advice I can give is to build it as big as you can  Grin  - seems you could always use more room inside.

A friend once told me there are only two sizes - too small & way to small.  Shocked
I'm planning on making mine as big as codes will allow - living in the city, big brother wants to be involved.  Sad

I too am puzzled as to why this got moved . . . .
It's a good subject too & I'm looking forward to hearing other ideas.   Cool

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 06:49:57 AM »

I think Richard ment to move BS'a other topic [Hay Cliff]

Sorry Folks!

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Blacksheep

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 06:57:11 AM »

Thanks Nick but question, isn't bluegrass and bussing somewhat related and aren't Cliff and I bus owners? Seems to me this is bus related! It isn't a joke like I have seen posted that DOES belong in OT. It merely is one bus nut letting another bus nut know he was near his home and maybe they could meet up for dinner and some outdoor pick listening one Saturday night, that's all!
If it needs to stay in OT, then so be it but personally, ah, nevermind!
BS
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 06:58:41 AM »

Ace,

When shopping for buildings for your bus, the first thing you should ask the mfg. is What is the design Wind Load of the building?

This will give you a good idea of how it will hold up in a hurricane. My 50x60' shop is certified for 130 mph WL, you should be higher then that in S Florida.

As Kyle said, go as big as you can afford. No matter how big, you will always fill it!

Good Luck
Nick-

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 07:02:20 AM »

Thanks Nick but question, isn't bluegrass and bussing somewhat related and aren't Cliff and I bus owners? Seems to me this is bus related! It isn't a joke like I have seen posted that DOES belong in OT. It merely is one bus nut letting another bus nut know he was near his home and maybe they could meet up for dinner and some outdoor pick listening one Saturday night, that's all!
If it needs to stay in OT, then so be it but personally, ah, nevermind!
BS

Humm, As  like the "bus nut health" therad  is  off topic, it's just pointed twards a few members and may even qualify as a PM. ??
Nick-

lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 07:24:02 AM »

I'm getting ready to build one. 40 X 60'.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 11:03:24 AM »

Nick,
Good point on the wind load consideration, as you and I had sustained gusts over 75 mph, just last Monday...

Hope you did not have any damage.

Gary,

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
luvrbus

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 11:40:49 AM »

Ace, I have a 40x60 x18 the prices on metal buildings have gone way up but I bought mine 4 years from Impact  in San Antonio for 13k with the insulation, 2- 14ft roll up doors, 2 entry doors,6 sky lites and 3 roof vents  check their webpage some time they have a sale most steel building manufactures engineer their building for your area and states require that. A metal building in the snow country will cost 20% more or less than one for the coast, the ones for high wind like where I live just have more screws. 

here is a breakdown on some cost may or not apply to your area 

Building only with doors $10 to $12 a square ft
labor from a contractor to erect $3 to $5 a square ft
slab depending on the price of concrete in your area ($100 cy where I live) $3 to $4 sf ft
electrail depending on what you want for lighting and services my cost was $7k
plumbing  what ever you what my cost was $1500.00
plus the local area permit fees 

I would check on the price of concrete blocks if I were you  may be the best way if you can find some unemployed block layers 
good luck with this project. another way is to check your area for a take down metal building a friend of mine bought 2 40x80x12 for $2500.00 each
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 11:57:26 AM by luvrbus » Logged
Blacksheep

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 02:48:24 PM »

Thanks guys! After checking out a lot of sites I found a neighbor who has a building I fell in love with! It's perfect for what I need and I will check out the company tomorrow. His building has been up for about 7 years and sustained no damage to date! I posted a picture after it was erected. It looks a lot different now with grass and shrubs not to mention concrete driveway from the road to the shop!
Getting excited IF I can afford it! I figure if the fuel doesn't come down, I might as well make the bus and other toys a little more comfortable!

BS

David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 03:06:49 PM »

Blacksheep,

What is that strip about 18" below the roof line?

David
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: