Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 21, 2014, 08:36:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trouble with batteries.  (Read 3822 times)
Flyboy

Ignore
« on: May 20, 2008, 07:31:06 AM »

Morning from Phoenix,

Arrived yesterday to a bus with flat batteries.  Turned off the master when I left it in January but solar panel doesn't do much good under cover.  I have had it plugged in for the last 15 hours but no joy.  They are getting stonger but still not enought to get it to turn over fully.  I have two 8Ds wired in parallel.

Is this normal for a completely dead batt?  Thinking of using my AAA membership to get a jump, and then driving to Blythe, CA about 150 miles today.  Will I be in the same situtation there?

Thanks in advance.

Aron.

IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING!
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 07:41:01 AM »

First of all, are you sure that the master disconnects everything.  I guess not since you had solar panels hooked up.  It may be possible that the panels and/or the controller put enough load on the batteries to kill them (without sun light on them).

If you are storing under cover, it might be better to completely disconnect the batteries.

It's my experience that once your batteries are allowed to go stone dead (0 volts), they will never be the same if they will recover at all.

You are going to need new batteries soon anyway, might as well do it before your trip.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 07:56:45 AM »

Flyboy, welcome to AZ this place is murder on batteries as you are going to Blythe stop at Quartzsite and  there are some solar and batteries shops that will check everything for you even Larry H may help make sure you have some good ac, today is a high of 116 that happens about 4 o'clock   have a safe trip and stay cool     change that 116 revised to 110
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 08:02:08 AM by luvrbus » Logged
Flyboy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 08:15:41 AM »

Thanks for the advice so far...

Staying in Phoenix for another night as it's supposed to cool off dramatically in the next couple of days.  I'm going to leave it on charge for the next 24 hrs and see if that works.

Aron.

zimtok

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 08:18:14 AM »

I have succesfully revived batteries that were completely dead before.
You need to get a battery charger that has a mode to recondition the battery. (I got mine at Sams Club)

Not every battery I tried this on was able to be revived but out of the 6 I have done 4 are still working today.

1960 PD4104-4971 - Memphis TN

Buy the new Eddie L Smith CD "STAYIN LONG" at:
http://www.eddielsmith.com
Everyone is welcome to any of our gigs listed on the website.

luvrbus

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 08:31:02 AM »

Aron, it supposed to be in the 70s and 80 from Wed till next week time to bring out the sweat shirt  if you have any problems in this area and need help I am close and have friends in Quartzsite that will help
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 08:39:23 AM »

will will need to charge at  for at least 24 hours.....however a full voltage reading does not mean they will sustain a load....need a load meter for that.......also suggest your get a hydrometer and check each cell, greater than a 10% difference in cell readings will show a battery that is on it's way out (best case) or already done for.

Solar cells that do not have acces to light do draw energy...likly your issue if it was sleeping indoors or undercover.

they could just be old and dead
Flyboy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 08:47:54 AM »

Sounds good luvrbus...I'll PM you.

We are in Peoria right now staying at a hotel. 

Tekebird,

I'm going to get a hydrometer today and check the batteries.

Thanks.

Aron.

Flyboy

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 08:48:58 AM »

One quick question for you all.

With a solar panel what is the proper way to disconnect the batteries?

tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 10:45:04 AM »

best and only sure way to disconnect batteries is to take the cables off at the battery
Rick Brown

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 11:39:22 AM »

I have a four way battery switch which will connect to the bus bus either  None - Start Bat - House Bat - Both.  In addition I have an ac line float charger (think full time solar panel).  The float charger is wired directly to the bus bus and normally on.  To completely power down the bus you have to turn off the float charger.  Normal configuration is switch on Both when driving or parked with float charge, on House when camping and on None when working where you may draw an arc.
RickBrown in Reno, NV
Flyboy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 01:50:05 PM »

Took the batteries out this AM (heavy i tell ya!).

Found an Interstate Battery dealer near us who tested them.  They take a load no problem so he is going to charge the for us for free.  Saves me about $400.  The solar panel I just covered with a tarp to eliminate any current coming form there.

Should be on the road tommorow.

Thanks again.

Aron.

Blacksheep

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 02:21:25 PM »

I think you will eventually find that the 8D batts will have to be changed and unless you plan on using the original bus a/c you might want to consider changing to group 31's. You can find them a lot easier than the 8's.
BS
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 02:49:26 PM »

8D's have very little to do with the coach A/C...it is a common misconception that that is why they use them.

a Coach a/c heater or blower motor alone will kill a Set of brand new 8D's in a very short time.

They Use 8d's becuase they have a huge capacity and are not affected as much as smaller batteries by cold soaking.

there is no substitute in a acid battery for a large ammount of lead......bigger batter=more lead
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 02:50:27 PM »

to follow up......

two reasons people change commonly.

1. Cost per unit
2. You have to be in good shape and probably not too old to heft around a 8D
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: