Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 04:19:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost all my bus pictures!  (Read 3690 times)
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« on: May 20, 2008, 02:09:55 PM »

Hard disk failure yesterday meant that I have lost my entire music collection, plus (more importantly!) all the photos I had been carefully taking whilst converting my bus in preparation for eventually doing a website about the project.

Ironically, it was my 'backup' disk that failed, so I've not lost anything that was really important, but I had long since moved all the original copies of my photos / music / films etc off my main disk in order to speed my computer up. I guess I should have had a backup of the backup

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 03:06:42 PM »

Lost my hard drive at work last month. The computer service that was supposed to be backing up the computers every night wasn't backing up mine. A datd recovery company was able to recover most of the data, but the cost was $3200! Glad I didn't have to pay!

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Highway Yacht
*****Jimmy*****

Locust, North Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 03:12:24 PM »

I sort of had the same problem a couple years ago but not with Bus Photos. I attended my only living Grandmothers 93rd birthday party with my new Digital Camera in hand. I took tons of photos of her mingling around with the family as well as Family Shots. I downloaded the photos to my computer and enjoyed having them there. A couple weeks later a lightning storm took out my hard drive and the photos were lost forever. Two weeks later my Grandmother died. Not to say that your Bus Photos were of no value but I would have given 1000's of bus pics for the 30 or so photos of my Grandmother's last birthday party. I now burn all my pics of any value to CD's so I won't lose anymore.

1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's
wrench

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 03:26:40 PM »

2 back to 2 different hosting web site.
  wrench
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 04:03:04 PM »

I'm not a big picture taker. But I'm off on a trip with a new digital camera. I get to my destination, Angor Wat in Cambodia. The place is spectacular I take over 100 pics. I get home and download the pics to the computer, I order an external CD burner to burn the pics to a disc. Some time later I look for the CD, cant find it, gone!!! I cant find the Pics in the computer, gone?Huh I'm sick.
  I'm repalceing my old cmputer with a new one and going through things. I find the pictures, they are in the sample photo album of a progam I never used?HuhHuh??  Gremlins!!!!

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 05:54:24 PM »

all drives fail, its only a matter of when.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 06:40:52 PM »

I'm repalceing my old cmputer with a new one and going through things. I find the pictures, they are in the sample photo album of a progam I never used?HuhHuh??  Gremlins!!!!

Let me guess, Adobe Photo Album?  That program installs with Acrobat Reader sometimes and by default hijacks digital camera photo downloads and scans.
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 05:04:25 AM »

I probably have 3 or 4 thousand pictures or bus files plus tons of family stuff, I learned a long time ago to do monthly back ups, its cheap and it's saved me at least twice since I started doing it, all it costs is one little ole disc!   

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 07:26:08 AM »

Whenever I upgrade my computer, I always take the main hard drive from my old one, and use it as a secondary drive on the new one.  So I have two disk drives. The new drive will haev a fresh, clean install on all the software. I copy all the old data files to the new drive.  I use the nw drive to run and store everything.  Peridodically I copy all my files back to the old drive.  Its fast and efficient, and I always have two copies of everything.  Sometimes its the new drive that fails, sometimes its the old one that fails, but when they do I just put another dirve in, and copy all to it again.

Copying this way is one of the fastest ways to copy files and make backups.  I'm always surprised more people don't do it this way.  As long as I copy somewhat regularly, I always havean esily accessible backup of everything.

Jim Stewart

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 09:12:57 AM »

It is a program called Camedia. Came with the Olympus camera!!

DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 09:23:53 AM »

Whenever I upgrade my computer, I always take the main hard drive from my old one, and use it as a secondary drive on the new one.  So I have two disk drives. The new drive will haev a fresh, clean install on all the software. I copy all the old data files to the new drive.  I use the nw drive to run and store everything.  Peridodically I copy all my files back to the old drive.  Its fast and efficient, and I always have two copies of everything.  Sometimes its the new drive that fails, sometimes its the old one that fails, but when they do I just put another dirve in, and copy all to it again.

Copying this way is one of the fastest ways to copy files and make backups.  I'm always surprised more people don't do it this way.  As long as I copy somewhat regularly, I always havean esily accessible backup of everything.

Jim, Is there anyplace where I can maybe get directions on how to accomplish this?  Presently I have a relatively new C drive with 500G storage. I have a F drive of 80G that I want to remove the information from and transfer to the C drive and then use the F drive as a backup.

Using a PhotoSort software that I just purchased I found several thousand duplicates on the C drive and the soft ware is doing a great job of finding these duplicates and eliminating the duplicate files.  What do you think?

Richard

Maybe I should transfer the F drive information to the C drive and then do the duplicate sort.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 11:08:29 AM »

Geeeze, I thought I was doing something that put those 100's of copys all over my computer Huh

H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 11:38:32 AM »

DML,

I use windows explorer to do the copy.  Its under all programs, accessories.  Did that answer your question?

Jim Stewart

Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 02:10:55 PM »

I'm interested to know how people are getting hundreds of copies of their files in different places - is it something to do with automated backup routines?

I cannot decide if an automated backup system is a better solution to manual system, where you simply make a point of periodically copying your files to a different location. Automated systems have the advantage of backing up more frequently, and for instance, only backing up the files that have changed -  but I am dubious about relying on a system where you don't really know what it is doing, or which might even make the situation worse - for instance, I was considering replacing my broken external hard disk with a RAID disk, which actually has two disks side-by-side which back each other up automatically - seemed like a good idea for a while, but then I read that if the files on one one disk got corrupted due to a virus or whatever the system would have copied the corrupted files onto the second disk before you realised what had happened.

As well as backing up in case of disk failure etc I also worry about physical security - it's all very well installing an old hard disk in your PC to use for backups, but what happens if the PC gets stolen or fried by lightning?

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 03:06:16 PM »

DML,

I use windows explorer to do the copy.  Its under all programs, accessories.  Did that answer your question?

What is the selection under accessories? I did not see anything that looked like it would do that?

Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: