Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 20, 2014, 09:24:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Front windshield curtains...  (Read 3186 times)
travelingfools

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2008, 12:13:41 PM »

Im looking for ideas as to how you folks are hanging front curtains. Are you using a straight rod with seperate curtains for the side or is there rods available with 90 degree "elbows" in them ?

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 12:20:25 PM »

There are track or rails available.  You can bend these any way you want and fasten it to the underside of area above the driver.  There are mini wheels that roll along the track, and the curtain fastens to the wheel brackets, somewhat like a shower curtain. The curtain then just slides along on the rail.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 12:29:44 PM »

If you use the rail like Jim is talking about buy from a marine dealer they are about 1/2 the price as RV dealers and that is about the only thing they are cheaper on it comes in 10ft lengths and you buy the brackets for sidewall mount or ceiling mount buy the aluminium rail not the plastic
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 12:42:03 PM »

This is they type of trak most use.
                                                http://www.recmar.com/tracks/products_4104.htm

I, nor any of my heirs, past, present or future are in anyway affiliated with this business.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

orfunauto/Darrell

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 06:20:54 PM »

Hello Travelingfools,

Your profile doesn't tell us what kind of bus you have, or where your general location is.  I have a set of rolling curtains in my MC8 that I do not care for.  They are the same as described above, with the aluminum track and rollers.  If you're close enough, you may have them.  I will not ship them. 

I use the el-cheapo way.... Cheesy.... to keep eyes out and cool air in.  I went down to the local Lowe's and bought a large roll of the aluminum skinned bubble wrap, and cut it to fit the windows.  We've been using it for over a year now, and enjoy the simplicity and heat deflection very much.  I don't care for the rolling curtain because it is a pain to "roll" out on the track, and it doesn't keep the heat out.  Do it your way, and if you want my rolling curtain , come get it. 

Darrell

74 MCI 8
LaGrange, NC
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 06:44:33 PM »

After seeing Jack's pull down shades, I took my curtains out.  Went to Home Depot, picked up two white pull downs, brought them home and installed them in about 20 minutes.

Cheaper than curtains, and they double as a sunshade while driving..... Grin

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
JimC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 07:20:47 PM »

OK JACK or BILL,
when you get a chance can we see a picture of your shades?

I am also using the bubble wrap, it works well, easy to put up, but does not look all that nice. 
Jim

4106 - 8-71/730
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
between Milwaukee & Madison
Blacksheep

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 07:27:15 PM »

Personally speaking, I don't use anything! Why block out all the good work you have done so nobody can see it? We all know our buses show better at night with lights on and especially in r/v parks you will ALWAYS have those night walkers with their dog that just have to have a peek.! I'm proud of what I have done and glad to let it be seen! Only thing I'm usually doing in the L/R or kitchen is watching the tube or eating and with our design, the BR is private with the door open!
Just my opinion!

BS
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 07:36:36 PM »

Drop down shades are easy to cut, to match the size of any windshield.  I bought the really cheap ones, 7 or 8 bucks.  Soon I will have to replace them.  Next set will be a much better quality.

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
gus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 07:39:21 PM »

I decided I didn't like the idea of all those curtains folded up around the sides of the windshield or installing all the curtain tracks on my 4104.

I use a curtain straight across just behind the front side triangular windows. This curtain is in three separate pieces from about a foot below the ceiling to the floor. The tab type curtains are hung from a decorative rope strung through the tabs to hooks on either side and hooks on the cabinet bottoms.

The curtains are taken down and rolled up while moving. Easy and quick. Takes three minutes to set up. They don't wrinkle when rolled. We found that the center one which was a solid color had to be lined because it could be seen through at night. The two side curtains are striped so no can see through.

The curtains came from JC Penny and are color coordinated with the bus interior.

This leaves the front of the bus open to the windshield but we don't use the stepwell and driver areas anyway.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 07:46:43 PM »

Here's a little experience for your benefit. We started with the rolling drapes. Hated them. Especially when they don't stay put in the corners on the road. And they always seem to be in the way of the mirrors.
Tried the rolldown shades next. They're cheap and look it. Plus, in the corners people can see in. I like sitting in my undies at night relaxing, especially when it's hot out.  Grin ; Grin
We finally found some nice heavy fabric in a pattern that goes with our interior decor and some inexpensive black nylon for light-blocking for the exterior side and sewed them together. Then we added sew-on velcro in the middle, top and sides. Used a good heavy duty self adhesive on the trim around the window. The finished product give us a good light blocking, heat blocking, privacy curtain that looks good both inside the coach and outside. I forgot to add, the wife sewed one of the pulldown shade sticks vertically in the center of the fabric for stability so it doesn't sag. When you pull it down in the morning, you simply roll it up on the stick and drop the whole works down beside the passenger's seat and forget about it till night. Total cost for fabric and velcro was under $40.
Hope this helps. Good luck, Will & Wife

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 08:18:33 PM »

I got mine  from this outfit through B&B      http://www.mcd-rv.com  you can get manual or electric and they will sale direct
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 08:21:14 PM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
lyndon
1988 MC-9 DDC 6V92TA Fuller T-11605D

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 10:53:42 PM »

When you pull it down in the morning, you simply roll it up on the stick and drop the whole works down beside the passenger's seat and forget about it till night. Total cost for fabric and velcro was under $40.
Hope this helps. Good luck, Will & Wife

Will, we must be on the same wavelength. Lynn just sewed up some material she purchased which we plan to roll up and stow when not in use. The plan is to run vinyl covered cable (clothesline) through the open ended seam she sewed in, anchored at the sides and corners using hooks in the corners, but we are considering velcro as well.

Don & Lynn

Don
1988 MC-9
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 03:05:23 AM »

I use both, I have pull down shades and track curtins. The shades block out prying eyes and double as sun visors. The curtins are a lace type that allow me to see out, but people cannot see in.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 05:55:14 AM »

There ia a product called "Warm Window" you can purchase from fabric stores. It's a straight line quilted 7 layer material that even has foil in it for reflection. I think the way it's quilted or sewed is to create what they call "Roman Shades".(?)
 I have it on all of my windows in my house and love it. I am going to figure a way to use it on all my windows in my bus also. Probably using Velcro on it on all the side windows and then just roll it up and take them down.
  I think it's the best of ALL worlds...insulation and privacy! And if you're like BS, just leave'em off if you want!  Grin
  Warm and Cozy,
   Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 12:08:18 PM »

Just a couple thought on this:

I am going to put curtains behind the driver that pull across in two directions.  Since I travel with a gang, and at night they like to read, watch movies ...etc..  I want something that will keep the reflections of the light off the windshield while I am driving. My overhead a/c has two ducts up by the driver, so air flow is not a problem.

We have a privacy curtain that pulls out to separate the living/kitchen area from the hall/bath/bedroom area.  This lets showers, dressing, sleeping all take place in privacy.

During some of our first outings I did a "look and see" to see what angles others could look up in the coach and what they could see.   It was very hard to see anything but heads unless you were standing dead center of the bus looking up the stairs.

Depending on your layout will really determine what you need.

Unless your running around Necked......

You know, Naked is no clothes on, Necked is no clothes on and your up to no good......

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 12:49:02 PM »

You know, Naked is no clothes on, Necked is no clothes on and your up to no good......

Cliff

HMMMM. I think I prefer NECKED!!   Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 06:43:41 PM »

Im thinking for me, its a privacy thing at night...I want to be comfertable in my house and sometimes, with a little luck, Neked occurs. The wife had suggested the velcro thing. That and the curtains behind the drivers seat will get some serious consideration...

And Ill update my profile...

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
gus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 08:12:33 PM »

Lyndon,

Forgot to mention. Instead of clothesline we found a fancy rope which we threaded through the tabs on the curtains. The rope is much larger than clothesline, probably 3'8", but this is no problem with tab curtains. In your case the sewed in loop would have to be much larger.

The rope comes in many colors and I think it came from JC Penny's drapery dept. It stretches enough so that it isn't hard to get over the hooks.

One advantage to our system is that the curtains can be folded, hung, rolled or just thrown on the floor because there is nothing rigid in the whole system.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
mc8 tin tent

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2008, 01:11:23 PM »

Travelingfools
 I had the same problem
We ended with using 1/2 alum. conduit from an elect. sply.,2    10' lengths with a coupling (threaded) about in the center. I bent the alum. tube with a 3/4 " or 1" emt bender( this let me go around any thing in the way--Remember to measure 2,3,4 times and bend 1 time Roll Eyes) I also used 3/4 mini clamps(minerallac) also found at elect.sply house to support frame at each end behind the front seats and one clamp in the front center.The rest came from one of the big box stores (larger brass hoop shower curtain hooks an 2 plastic shower curtains cut off below the dash and side window) NOTE  bend the first 1 or 2 clips just large enough to slide over the rod in the center easy to cover the seam in the front.When not in parked we push them back behind the front seats.
  This worked well for us and the better half can change an update without being to painful. Cheesy
Good luck I hope this may help.
 Dwayne
Blacksheep

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2008, 02:50:56 PM »

if your not worried about the windshield and just want to close off the front driver area you can what a friend of mine did and I have considered doing the same but... Anyway he ran 2 vertical blinds, 1 from each side and they meet in the middle. You can open them and they store flat against the side walls and they are easy to change colors. If they are plastic, paint them. Cloth type can be changed by sliding old out, recover and slide back in!
To close, you pull the rods together until they meet in the middle, just like home!
BS
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: