Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 21, 2014, 03:12:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Air leak at brake valve  (Read 5494 times)
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 07:45:38 AM »

ok, luvrbus was right, maybe.  i pulled on the wires trying to get the closest yellow out.  when that failed, tried the black. could not get those suckers loose. 

went back inside and turned to switch and now the brake lights work just great.  when i step on the brake peddle, lights on, let up on it, lights off.  perfect!!! Smiley Smiley

except (of course) they now don't come on when the park brake is on.   Sad.  that's not a huge deal becuase i know when the park brake is on becuase i put it on and the bus won't move. 

But, the high idle doesn't work now.  and neither does the air step.  looked it up in the manual and they are all going through the same relay.  so i replaced the relay with what i think is a good one.  still doesn't work.  i say 'think its good" becuase i got one from my farmer neighbor who had spare.  but no park light working, nor step, nor high idle still.

the good side is that the brakes work, park brakes work, and i can hold my foot on the peddle to get high idle.

i don't understand why pulling on the wires would kill, break or short something out.  i thought maybe i completely burned the old relay, but now this newer one doesn't work either?  suggestions?

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
luvrbus

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 08:34:41 AM »

Tom. if you replaced the stop lite switch make sure you got the right one both look the same but some are closed with power on and some are open with power on  and if you have the wire from the stop lite relay to the high idle relay it should work   good luck
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 08:47:23 AM by luvrbus » Logged
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 04:37:16 PM »

new one ordered Sad.  luvrbus was right.  looked the same, but different.  that's still better than troubleshooting valves and air leaks.

Tom

buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2008, 06:13:29 PM »

Oh, you got that right!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 04:59:28 PM »

got the new relay switch installed.  success! the park brake light is back on, high idle works, and the step again comes out.
But now the lights don't go out when the i release the park brake. Angry Angry Angry

i noticed when i aired up that at first it seemd to climb to almost 124lbs, where i think it used to stop at 120 exactly.  after stepping on the brake to let some air out, filled again to 121 and stopped/purged.

yesterday, i had it up to 120lbs and it was down to 90lb 24hrs later.  i guess that's not bad???  just now checked and has dropped about 15 lbs in the last 4-5 hrs.

not sure where to check, but obviously, there is a defective part or switch indicator somewhere.  it seems like all the important stuff is working.  at least now i know i can get the brake lights off by pulling the relay, if i have to go somewhere.

Tom

luvrbus

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2008, 05:45:17 PM »

Tom,  below your electrical panel there should be a switch with one yellow and one green wire on the switch if you disconnect either wire the lites should go out if the switch is the problem have you found the switch with the yellow and green wire   good luck
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2008, 06:45:45 PM »

are you talking about the park brake relay?  that' the one i think i shorted out when i pulled on the wires.  replaced it today.  lights back on.  there were 2 light yellow, green and black, i think.

Tom

luvrbus

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2008, 06:58:14 PM »

It's not a relay Tom it is a pressure switch inside the tool box, the bottom door and has 2 wires on top of it   

good luck
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 07:07:34 PM by luvrbus » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: