Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 09:03:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need a Cross Reference for a Monroe Shock Absorber  (Read 10326 times)
Dallas

« on: June 10, 2006, 08:16:58 AM »

I'm working on a Newell Coach at the moment and while driving it thought that the ride was pretty crappy.
The first thing that popped into my head, besides a cold beverage, was that the shocks were bad.
This morning I crawled under the coach and Low and Behold! There are no shocks on the front.
On the rear are 4 shocks that someone fabricated mounts for.
Unfortunately, after inspection 4 are not just bad, but Really, Really bad. Like in when you pull them out to extend them, then hold them upright, they quickly fall back to the compressed position. This is not a good thing.
I took one off, which only meant removing one nut.. the other was broken off at the mount, I got a name and a part number.
However, After going to the Monroe and Gabriel websites, there was no result in their catalogs or cross reference.
I called NAPA and they can't cross it, Car Quest Can't Cross it, and there isn't a decent truck parts dealer in the area.

If anyone has a Mohawk parts catalog or some older reference catalog, I need to find a direct replacement for:

Monroe Part #BT 70018

I hope someone can help,
Thanks,
Dallas
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 09:27:21 AM »

A Google search turned up the following:

http://www.monroeheavyduty.com/monroeHDdetail.asp?sec=tec&page=tec_catalog

I'm not sure if it helps you but it will help others. Sorry I could not turn it into a hyperlink.

I've always just gone to a truck parts house and got what I want. Other shocks will work. You must make sure they have the correct travel.

Yours may be OK if they are single acction shocks. Maybe they are supposed to have resistance pulling then return to the compressed position.

I would use dual action.

Maybe a call to Newell or Monroe would help.

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
Dallas

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 09:42:25 AM »

http://http://www.monroeheavyduty.com/monroeHDdetail.asp?sec=tec&page=tec_catalog

I'm not sure if it helps you but it will help others. Sorry I could not turn it into a hyperlink.

I've always just gone to a truck parts house and got what I want. Other shocks will work. You must make sure they have the correct travel.

Yours may be OK if they are single acction shocks. Maybe they are supposed to have resistance pulling then return to the compressed position.

I would use dual action.

You did make a link, but if you have a problem in the future try clicking on the icon, third from the left, that looks like a little globe and a piece of paper. Then insert your link between the brackets ][ where the url - /url meet.

Thanks for the info, I downloaded the complete Monroe HD Catalog after searching Google, MSN, Yahoo, About, ASK, DogPile, etc.
The closest I can come is for a part number that has a 8.75" travel these shocks only have 4.25" travel.
They are definately dual action shocks, but there is no cross reference for a replacement or even the original shock. I may end up buying and fabricating if I can't find a replacement for these. I'll also fabricate a new mount for the front.

By the way.... Newell didn't have a parts manual until 1990 or an owners manual until sometime in the '80's. For such a well built coach, the support system really sucks.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Dallas
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 12:04:13 PM »

Joe, normally all you have to do is just highlight the link and then click on the third little icon which is insert hyperlink. However, in your case it ended up being a hyperlink without you doing that. Maybe Dallas can explain to me.
Richard

Guess Dallas and I were typing at the same time. LOL

http://http://www.monroeheavyduty.com/monroeHDdetail.asp?sec=tec&page=tec_catalog

I would use dual action.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 12:05:50 PM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: