Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 01, 2014, 05:03:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: diesel in Mexico  (Read 4497 times)
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« on: May 29, 2008, 09:30:56 AM »

While I live close to Mexico, I have never been willing to drive there just to fill up.  But now I'm reconsidering with the high costs.

As I understand it, their diesel is about 2/3 the cost of ours, presumably because its not Ultra Low sulfur.

Does anyone have any  experiences, suggestions, locations where a bus can fit  - about going accross to fill up?

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 11:22:57 AM »

I don't know where you live but I like to visit Mexico and I cross at lukeville AZ and about two miles in is a pemex station that handles the big rigs and I fill up there as I leave.

The only glitch is you need mexico insurance to drive there and it cost about 26 dollars to issue the policy and then is about 10 dollars a day so for one day you have to pay the issue fee and then the insurance.

The fuel is less then 2.50 a gallon -- actually it is less than .60 a liter and I will let you do the math.

I always carry lots of ones because any change you get will be in pesos and they will tell you how many dollars they need and they pump the fuel and I usually give them a tip.

Hope this helps.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 12:00:19 PM »

I live in the san diego area, but sometimes go over to Yuma.

Jim Stewart

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 12:30:48 PM »

Jim, it is about impossible to get a bus into the Pemex in Algodones at Yuma better try some place else.I am getting ready to go to Texas and will cross over at El Paso to buy fuel .Jim the easy way to buy the fuel if you have a pickup buy or borrow  one of the 110 gals tanks that you see in pickups drive the truck over and fill it up. I bought a 1000gal tank from one of my neighbors and just about have it full, when I go to the dentist  I bring back a 100gals and put it in the tank and when my neighbors go they bring me back a 100gals working good so far and I don't worry about having my bus over there on the narrow streets and crazy horn blowing Mexican drivers.I don't buy the insurance but not a bad idea it just never crossed my mind going in and out in a couple of hours.another plus is the pickup gets 17 mpg and the bus get 7.5
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 01:22:10 PM by luvrbus » Logged
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 02:35:09 PM »

Read Seans blogs on the subject.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 02:42:44 PM »

Now I'm curious.  If we can go to Mexico to fill up, does that mean Canadians can come here (USA) to do the same thing?  And....just what are diesel prices up in Canada anyway?  Less?  More?

Already we are filling up our vehicles this week, because next week the prices of gas and diesel are sure to go up....again.  Finally, will high sulfer Mexican diesel play havoc with brand new rigs?  Dunno.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 02:54:40 PM »

HB, the 500 ppm sold at most pemex stations is not going to hurt any engine made before 2007 and most pemex station also sell the 15 ppm for the new engines  this one reason fuel cost so much here in the states we are exporting most of our ULSD 15 ppm to Mexico till their refineries are upgraded to make the ULSD which won't happen till 2010  FWIW
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 03:37:23 PM by luvrbus » Logged
prevost82
82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed

82 Prevost Marathon XL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 03:02:32 PM »

HB ... Canadains living close to the border have been fueling up in the US for a long time. Diesel is between $5.00 & 6.00 per US gal. Mexico is around $2.00 a US gal.
Ron
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 04:41:51 PM »

Jim,

I can't speak specifically to Tijuana, as we try to avoid it.  However, there are several Baja-centric web sites that might help.

The price difference has nothing to do with sulfur content, but rather that Pemex is state-owned and Mexico is currently subsidizing its diesel prices.  We paid $2.11 per gallon about a month ago.

Not all Pemex stations have diesel, but when they do, they usually have a separate island with truck-size stalls and a taller canopy.  The two grades of gasoline have red and green signs for prices and on the pumps, while diesel uses a black sign.  Find a station with a black "diesel" sign.  Pricing is per liter -- the above price translates to ~5.7 pesos per liter.

Not sure where Melbo gets his insurance, but there is no need to buy it by the day.  We paid about $80 for a policy good for a full year and all vehicles.  Bear in mind that this is liability only -- you should check your regular policy to make sure it covers comp and collision in Mexico.

You don't need to worry about vehicle import permits for Baja or for any border city, and you won't need an FMT (tourist card) for any visit less than 72 hours.  Make sure you have a US passport with you to come back the other way, and there is a list of prohibited items that you'll want to check (eggs, lunch meat, certain fruits, etc.).

FWIW, if we were within a hundred miles of the Mexican border, we wouldn't even think of buying diesel anywhere else.

I suggest you figure out exactly how much fuel you need, convert to Pesos, and exchange that many Pesos at a bank before fueling up -- you will get a better rate than at the Pemex.  Remember to keep about 20 pesos (~$2) to tip the attendant, and however many pesos you might need to return to the US (probably none in Tijuana, but all the Rio Grande bridges are toll).

Lock your fuel door.  When pulling up to the pump, be ready with your money, and carefully watch the attendant as he zeros the dispenser and pumps your fuel.  The single biggest fuel scam trick in Mexico is starting the dispenser from a non-zero number and then charging you for the total amount on the meter.

If you go to my blog and search on "Pemex" you can read about our experiences there -- all good.

HTH,

-Sean

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
rcbishop

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 06:08:05 PM »

LUVR.... ...might want to re-think the El Paso crossing.... I live in the very close area ( Las Cruces) and would not even consider it....and apparently that is the way the "trolley" company feels about it.  They have quit crossing over. Our church had a missionary trip there last week and came home after a couple of days.  Drug Cartel wars with the Federales........

FWIW

RCB
TrevorH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 07:18:02 PM »

I just filled up outside Nogales which is right by Tucson, for $1.87.  I was driving my truck so I wasnt able to get a whole bunch which was disappointing.

1987 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 5 spd MT
Tucson, AZ
H3Jim

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 09:41:23 PM »

Sean, thanks for the good tips.  I will probably reconoiter in my diesel pickup before taking the bus.

Jim Stewart

Don4107

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 10:11:54 AM »

Can you use plastic at the Mexican stations to avoid exchanging money?  Would the attendant not want US dollars for a tip?  Very ignorant about Mexico here.

Don 4107

Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 10:22:19 AM »

If I wanted to have a diesel storage tank, does it have to be something special or can I use a large water tank?  What are the customs limitations on bringing fuel back?  Must it be in a tank connected to the vehicle fuel system or can you put a big independent tank in a pickup bed?  Has anyone used the crossing at Mexicali?  Man, I have so many questions, I must be a pretty questionable person!

You don't have to believe everything you think.
luvrbus

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 11:14:49 AM »

Lin,you can bring anything back with no fees up to $300.00 for each person and I don't know about your water tank but if it a 1/8 or better I would test it at #2 of air pressure if it holds probably will work.I take my pump off the tank before entering I don't know if that would be a problem or not but I have not had any trouble yet.EPA requires you to have plastic under the tank and a berm around it to hold any fuel that is lost and a fire extinguisher plus a ground rod.My tank is not connect to my system we remove it when my neighbors bring fuel back for me and they want cash where I go no plastic
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 11:22:29 AM by luvrbus » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: