Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 01:49:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ummmm.... unsavory question.  (Read 4512 times)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2008, 06:15:03 AM »

I was going to "search" this question as I did not want to bring up such a s###ty subject  Wink but I need to buy a "slide" for the "kids". (that's code for "waste tube" for the.....uh..... you know.  Grin)
 I understand they are not all created equal and I am a little squimish about this.  Tongue What are some good ones to look for and why. I need to get this before 6/5 as I am taking my "baby" to Indy for the Good Guys Hot Rod Run. I'm hoping to hang out there the whole weekend and get my fill of Hot Rods. And then of course, I will have to "un-fill"  Grin the "pool". 

Second question also related: Do any of you guys have a "dump station" at your home?? I'm thinking I could make one that would be connected to my studio sanitary line. There may be a few pros and cons associated with this, but it's my guess that it would empty better after some aggitation from the ride home......(?)

Feelin squimish already,
      Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 06:31:31 AM »

When I put in a new driveway for the coach, I also included a sewer drain line in the appropriate location. Really worked great and all the solids were mixed up great so that draining was easy. It was also great to have when I had someone visiting for a few days. I never left the drain valve open and tried to wait till the holding tank was half way full to dump. I recommend you do this.

Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 06:37:00 AM »

Thanx Richard. I appreciate it. I couldn't really think of any "bad" drawbacks, but wanted to ask for all of your opinions.

But what about a good hose? Any recommendations??

Thanx again......

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

RTS/Daytona

Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 06:57:46 AM »

Think about installing a macerator -

Perhaps for your time frame - just a portable one that can be removed

After yeras of RVing - I just don't want to deal with that big stinking hose anymore - I have a macerator (24 volt marine model) - with 20 feet of large bore gray garden hose - so I can "SHOOT MY POOP"

Less work / less mess / goes Uphill / They tell me that you can also shoot it into a toilet ??

The hose stores inside a PVC tube that run under the bus -

Pete RTS/Daytona 

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 06:58:48 AM »

Chaz...are you talking about the sewer hose that goes from the tank to the dump station or the sewer hookup in a campground?
And if so I assume you have the standard fitting on your waste tank(s) that accepts the standard sewer hose fitting?
If that is correct and you have a Wally World near you they have all you need!
Be sure to purchace the rubber boot thing that fits in the sewer connection at the campgrounds...which allows a tight seal between the end of the hose and the pipe you stick the hose in.
And ALWAYS wear gloves, rubber gloves and shoes that don't leak when preforming this wonderful task.  (And don't ask how I know about the shoes!)
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 07:03:35 AM »

I am not familiar with the hose manufacturers enough to recommend a particular brand, but I do have two suggestions.  First, I have noticed that they come in several price levels (good/better/best) with the better ones being a heftier gauge.  The light duty ones feel a bit flimsy to me. I wanted one that would last a while and not give me problems, so I had no problem spending the extra $ to get the beefy version.  My second recommendation is to get two, of different lengths.  When I pull up right next to a dump station, I don't really want to deal with a 20 foot hose.  But at campsites, they have been known to place the in-ground connection point at a less-than-convenient location and the extra length is needed.  Plus, having two gives you a spare.    

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 07:19:20 AM »

If you have a septic tank, be sure to dillute your waste fluids. Most septic tanks don't tolerate the shock (of the highly concentrated RV poop) very well.

As for hose, I just bought a kit from camping world that has 2ea 10 foot hoses & all the connectors. I also bought the PVC storage tube with end caps to isolate the stinky slinky from my other stuff.

While there, I picked up another fresh water hose.

FWIW, the total bill was ~$100.00

OH, BTW, they had a macerator kit for ~$500. If I'd planned ahead, I'd have used that gov't stimulus check . . . . .

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 07:25:38 AM »

When starting with an empty tank, I fill the toilet to the overflow and empty it twice-that adds about 5 gal of fresh water to start. 
For sewer drain hose, just go to Camping World and buy their best quality version of it.  Simple, I haven't had any problems, and just rinse with fresh water when done.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
skipn

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 07:59:26 AM »

Chaz,

Couple of add on thoughts.

If you are going to have your own dump have a fresh water set-up. A frost free hydraunt next to the
 dump will help keep things clean.

On 2 tank systems I always dump black then grey.......I use the grey to help clean out the
 stinky pipe before final wash.

Skip
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 07:59:52 AM »

I'll second and third the higher priced hose. The cheap  ones are like disposable latex gloves, use em once or twice and throw out!!
 $500, FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS,  for a macerator pump? US Dollars???  

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 08:04:28 AM »

Great stuff guys!!! Thanx!

I really like the macerator pump idea. That would work very well for dumping in my sanitary line here at my studio. I already have a clean-out I could run it to, but the price tag would be a little salty for me right now. Dang shame. I'm spending my bus money on interior stuff right now.

I guess I'll throw myself on the mercy of Camping world. At least that way i should be able to get it in time. Unless there's one in Indy?? But I think Louisville is the closest.

Thanx for the help to a stinky situation!  Grin
    Chaz

kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 08:08:53 AM »

I'll second and third the higher priced hose. The cheap  ones are like disposable latex gloves, use em once or twice and throw out!!
 $500, FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS,  for a macerator pump? US Dollars???  
It was a complete kit. The little things can add up quickly . . .

I didn't buy it & would probably 'roll my own' when I get to the point I think need one . . .  Grin

.  .  .  .  On 2 tank systems I always dump black then grey.......I use the grey to help clean out the
 stinky pipe before final wash.

Skip

My black is mostly musty smelling, the grey can get quite 'loud' tho. . . . but I think that's usually a result of using anti-bacterial soap & food scraps from the dishes.

YMMV  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 08:16:25 AM »

Ok.........
I just went to CW to check out the "slides". Well....... I looked into this: http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=34450&src=ROTC  While I was at it. It's a little cheaper than 500.00 and starting to get my ears up a little. Do any of you have any experience with it?

Kyle, you said you'd "roll your own". Any suggestions there??

I need to do a little more investigation, but I'd really like more opinions from your personal experience. This topic really does "concern" me! Tongue  Grin  Grin

skipn

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 08:22:00 AM »

Kyle,

I think it is interesting that life styles make a big difference on the end results.

My grey usually has little to no smell but we use fine paper china and breakable utensils.
  We don't use anti-bact soap and mostly use water for pots and pans after they have been pre cleaned
  Our Black usually isn't as bad as some I have had the pleasure to meet but with some finely tuned noses
   in the family I try and make my empties as painless as possible.

Skip

jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 08:52:40 AM »

When I ordered my black/grey tank I added a 1 1/2 inch outlet at bottom of tank for macerator and a 3 inch cleanout at top of tank. In hindsight, I would add a tee to the outlet of the macerator returning to tank to grind up solids befor dumping as The macerator leaves some solids in tank. I can use the macerator 2 or 3 times and then need to use regular dump.
 Clear vynil tube has shutoff on end, it is used as a sightglass and flushing out pump. On left side of pump is shaft, it has a slot for screwdriver always free shaft befor powereing up pump to avoid blowing fuse.

For the  DIY'er in you  http://www.mobilehomestead.com/mainprojects/projects/macerator.htm

24 volt macerator pump at Dana flea market     $35
 1 1/2 inch slide valve                                    $10
 Misc                                                           $30  give or take $10

left click on photo to elarge!!!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 09:49:22 AM by jjrbus » Logged

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: