Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 08:12:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IS THE BEST BUS A GMC P8M4905A HELP PLEASE  (Read 5025 times)
Lonnie time to go
Lonnie

Saginaw, Michgan

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2008, 10:37:13 PM »

I have no knowledge of buses please help
I have located a bus for sale it is a 1975 GMC P8M4905A#1265  This bus has underbody storage a raised deck, 8V71 DD mounted on a slant i think trans is on passenger side of motor. I hope it is a good thing it has an   auto trans  ,  motor does run well  new generator.
For a couple grand  $2000.00 would this be a good conversion.
I relize there is no such thing as cheap bills with a bus , but i dont want to spend that much money to start with.
Is this bus hard to get parts for???
Opinions on motor,trans and everything else wonderful good or bad dont matter

1976 4905
Lonnie time to go
Lonnie

Saginaw, Michgan

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 10:45:31 PM »

After reading some other post the shifter is on the passenger side of the driver seat.
it read 123 and D  appears to be no clutch  the  ###P8M4905A  1975 gmc I do believe that
would be manual trans  but the shifter and no clutch shows auto trans Huh??

1976 4905
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 11:29:13 PM »

2000 scares me....but....

the 4905 is an excelent bus.  parts are not hard to find at all with the exception of the rear window glass and the upper deck front facing glass, and rubber for those as well.  However it can be found.

find a copetant bus mechanic in your area and have it inspected first or someone quite familiar with the make/model.

it is quite possibly your 2000.00 find could cost you 10k to get it safe and reliable for road service before you even start on the conversion
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 11:30:07 PM »

posting a series of photos will give us something to work with
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 06:06:10 AM »

Here is a list of things to look for in that particular model

Look at the wooden floor from inside the baggage bays - see if the torsion bars for the doors are pulling the floor out of shape.
Look around all of the windows for bondo or any other body filler.  These areas were made of steel and are prone to rust out.
Look at the electrical panel next to the driver's seat under the side window - you have to remove screws and check the conditon of the floor and wiring.  If that window leaks, the wiring can go bad (especially if it is cloth) and the floor can go bad.

Where is the muffler on this bus?  Is it in the engine bay between the engine and the radiator, or is it between the frame rails forward of the rear axle?  If it is under the floor, is the muffler solid?  You need to have the bus properly blocked up to safely get underneath to check.  Unless you have access to a pit, the muffler under the floor is very hard to remove and is very expensive.  It also can cause the bus to catch on fire if it is bad.  That happened to me.  Totaled my bus.  The engine bay muffler can be also very expensive, but there are other options than replacing it with an original if it is back there. 

Automatic is a good thing!  Clutch linkage can be very hard to operate on 4905's if they are badly worn or out of alignment and they don't have an air assist.

Does this model have a set of tag wheels in the last bay or is there a large section of steel frame in the rear bay?  Some models had the tags, and some just had a complete 3rd bay.

Good luck and please send pictures!

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 06:17:47 AM »

1975 GMC P8M4905A#1265
From GMC to Stanley Cupp (Valley Coach Lines Co.) Fleet number 532 (Clio,MI)
12/1975
I own a 1974 P8M4905A and it's a good bus I have had a retired bus driver who has driven GMC Buffalo's that the GMC are a better driving bus than some of the later MCI models.
Tikibird (Derf) said so it got to be the truth!
Check for rust and condition of the coach like the previous above post lots of good tips.
From the man who owned one.
JLV
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 03:21:26 PM »

I agree with Derf, the MC-9 are rolley poley leaners.  My 8 is noce and stable as is the A3 I presently have.

Lonnie time to go
Lonnie

Saginaw, Michgan

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 03:27:16 PM »

I have tried many times to post pic error is takes to long or pic to big Huh?
Other info i have is the bus is flat of top no hump 6ft in
has air and someone installed auto trans ,  354.000 mile on 8v71 DD
tag axel is there kind of it look like the axel does not go all the way through the
bus.  I have heard you should remove the axel to put tanks there???
Is there any way to improve MPG in the 8v71 without tons of money also lots of oil
in engine compartment I guess its normal but would like to stop leaking. this bus does run
good but i'll still have a tech look at it.
many thanks for all the info.

1976 4905
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 03:29:00 PM »

Good advice by Tekebird, Tenor and JLV.

As an owner of a 4905 those are all the areas I have dealt with or would check.

Better to spend a little money for an inspection than be sorry later.

Oh and the answer to your Question/Subject: Re: IS THE BEST BUS A GMC P8M4905A

The answer is YES!

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 04:33:00 AM »

Oh Clifford, you've done it again. This time you've offended all the owners of those 4104's and 4106's. Not to mention Jack, Kyle and Pat and their Sceni-Cruisers.

We one the MCI side of the equation are used to your blather and pay no attention to it but when you snipe at the BusNuts in your own corral it becomes blatantly clear that you are certifiable. Wink

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Dreamscape

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 04:45:59 AM »

Oh and the answer to your Question/Subject: Re: IS THE BEST BUS A GMC P8M4905A

The answer is YES!

Cliff

No comment!  Grin

Seriously, almost any bus is better than NO BUS!

Happy Trails,

Paul
superpickle

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 05:58:03 AM »

"354.000 miles on 8v71 DD" ...   Shocked

Sounds like a LOT of miles, like in " NEW Engine" soon...?

Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 09:47:57 AM »

Timetogo40, Do you know the difference between a V drive and a T drive? With the engine across the back this is a V drive. I am glad now I did not buy one. This is a personal preference, not tring to offend the GM group. The best thing to do is ask questions here, like you are doing. The pic thing on this board is a pain. Good luck.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 09:51:51 AM »

Positive points to the V drive.

makes it extremely easy to service engine, No clinbing into little holes

complete engine trans package easily taken out in comparison to T drive

Negatives, Engine spins oposite of a T drive making repowers to Cummins or Other non DD brand an issue

Additional good things about the 4905.  Largest Baggage space underfloor of any US coach until the Prevost H model and newer coaches
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 10:08:55 AM »

In reference to a "T" drive & a "V" drive engine set up.
I recall many years ago when MCI/Greyhound came out with the MC-5A and the other carriers were running the old GMC "V" drives the mechanics at Greyhound and other carriers hated the "T" drive set up because every thing was very hard to get to for maintenance air compressor,power steering, and in some cases the 50DN alternator.
A lot of carriers stayed with GMC until the end of it's intercity coach production.
I am a GMC Buffalo owner and it's a wonderful machine.
I am not trying to say the other intercity coaches are a bad product.
But I will keep my old Buffalo thank you.
jlv Grin

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: