Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 01, 2014, 09:10:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MPG  (Read 3707 times)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2008, 09:39:45 AM »

Over the weekend I rented a new (104 miles on it) Uhaul truck (26ft'r) with the GM 8.1 liter gasoline engine and Allison 1000 transmission.  It had unbelievable acceleration-easily out accelerating cars from the signal, and the shifts were quite smooth throughout the spectrum of gas pedal positions (it shifted at 4600rpm at full throttle, yet cruised at 2000rpm at 65 mph, but drank the gasoline like a drunken sailor).  Course, that is an electronically controlled transmission (baby World transmission).  Was a nice truck to drive, but had thee worst ride I've ever experienced in my 33 years of being in the trucking industry.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Michael_e

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2008, 10:33:11 AM »

I would really, REALLY like to drive my Scenicrusier, but i think there are too many unknowns. Every system; air, brakes, steering, fuel, structure, electrial has been worked on, modified, removed & replaced or otherwise messed with. It would take a good month or longer to go thru and test out all the systems enough that i would trust it, not only with my life but the lives of everyone else in my path. Ok, so i'm a little chicken, call me what you want, but safety first.

Then on top of that, we are moving to Kansas and selling our house here in Denver. New carpet, painting, painting, and some more painting and fixing all those little nicks and stuff associated with selling a house. Well, my day is quite full. We just have to have the house on the marker in the next week or so to try and catch families while the school season is out on vacation. And in this marker, who knows...House will probably sell a little better if it didn't have a 40 foot bus out front on blocks.LOL. It's gonna be an interesting summer.

Mike

1955 GM Scenicrusier, 8V92TA & Allison 754. Totally rewiring all 12v systems and lots of questions.
Dreamscape

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2008, 10:40:47 AM »

Sounds like you have your priorities in order. I agree with the possible danger in driving a coach that could cause problems for you, your family and others. Get your house on the market, then put your bus on a trailer and move. Your coach sounds like it needs lots of work, time and money before it is safe to drive anyway.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Good Luck,

Paul
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: