Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 30, 2014, 03:51:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel stops in near New Bern, NC???  (Read 1862 times)
tomhamrick

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2008, 12:51:49 PM »

Hi all,
I am going to the outerbanks in 2 weeks and am taking the southern route to Ceder Island, NC first. I would like to fuel up in the New Bern, Cherry point area. Anyone familiar enough with the area to point me to a spot I can get into easily? My exit guide does not cover that area.  Cheesy I am not squimish about tight places but some are impossible towing a car!!
Tom Hamrick
1984 Eagle

Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC
TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 07:55:13 AM »

Was just there, but left the coach in Williamston and took the toad.  Sorry I can't help, but if you go to Ocracoke, take a baseball bat for the mosquitoes.   hehehehe!  (Get as close as you can to the beach for somewhat fewer of 'em. )  The State Park on Hatteras Island is great. Enjoy!

dg

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
trailblazer2
1999 Thomas Saftliner MVP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 06:47:04 PM »

Tom;
 I don't know of any down that way;but you all are welcome to stop in and see us,on your way to /or from! We live in the Liberty,NC area,and would put you up for a nite or two! Happy motoring and stay in touch!

"I will place no value on anything I have or may possess,except in it's relationship to the kingdom of Christ"
David Livingston
tomhamrick

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 05:36:17 AM »

Thanks for the info and invites. I'll take you up on that one of these days.
Tom Hamrick

Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC
gene lewis

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 07:28:27 PM »

Tom there is a Kangaroo Station on US 70 E in Kinston - Just past King's BBQ (good stuff) on the left as you are leaving the Kinston area .  Kinston is about 30 miles this side of New Bern.  Lots of 18 wheelers refuel there.  They have diesel islands for us big rigs.
Hope U have a great time on the outer banks - maybe it will be a little cooler for U.

We R .5 miles off US 421 , at Buies Creek, NC - headed toward New Bern and 2 to 2.5 from the New Bern area.  Stop By.

See U soon.

Enjoying the journey in NC,

Gene

Work like you don't need the money; Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody is watching.
What a journey in NC.
Gene - 05 Eagle

I-95 at Dunn, 12 miles W. on US 421. Some tools and know-how. Coffee on-we'll talk buses. Bus troubles can & will assist as far as cable-toe will permit.
tomhamrick

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 05:49:05 AM »

That sounds great Gene. Just what I was looking for. I will be coming through on June 20. Maybe we can meet up somewhere.
Tom Hamrick

Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC
ArtGill

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 08:32:30 PM »

Tom,
You'll pass within a block of my house.  If you need a place to stop in Morehead City, I can arrange a paved lot in Morehead City on highway 70 with 110vac 20 amps.  There is also a Kangaroo coming into Morehead on your left with truck islands in the back.  When you see the signs for Lowes and Walmark on your right, turn left at the stop light.  Get you fuel before you leave Beaufort at the latest.  Ocracoke is great.  There is a commercial camp ground behind a general store that is close enough to use bicycles to get around.  Don't miss Howard's Pub, open 365 days a year.  Be sure to get a reservation for the ferry from cedar Island and plan an hours drive from Beaufort.  If you can't stop, blow your horn and wave.

art

Art & Cheryll Gill
Morehead City, NC
1989 Eagle Model 20 NJT, 6v92ta
tomhamrick

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 06:41:43 AM »

Thanks Art, We have 7:00 AM appointment for June 21 on the ferry and are planning on staying at the motel campground at Cedar Island to be close that morning. I may wait and use the fuel stop there at Morehead City to take on more fuel. That's what I like about this board all the great information. We are staying at Camp Hatteras Campground at Rodanthe. Can't wait!! Hope the smoke from the forest fire clears out by then.
Tom Hamrick

Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC
ArtGill

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 07:24:20 PM »

Tom,
         Keep my phone number i sent you by private message just in case I can help.  Take the deep wood mosquito spray and plenty of it.  The camp ground is right on the sound and has very little shelter.  The Driftwood restaurant has the best Downeast seafood cooking you can find and it is across the street from the campground.  The real Downeast is East of the North River bridge on US 70.  The road is good, but watch for the shoulders, they go from pavement to ditches with 10 ft of water in them.  All the little community's you go through didn't have roads until the 1930's to connect they to each and the world, so each is unique in their own ways.
         Morehead or Beaufort is the last real place to get fuel and the prices have been better than Kinston or New Bern today.  If time permits, call and we can have a Pepsi or something.

Art

Art & Cheryll Gill
Morehead City, NC
1989 Eagle Model 20 NJT, 6v92ta
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: