Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 05:58:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yearly oil analysis  (Read 2947 times)
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2008, 11:15:58 PM »

I bought oil and filters thinking I was going to need to do an oil change before my first summer trip. I sent an oil sample out for an analysis and it can back good. It looks like I will be able to put my oil change off another year, saving me over $100. My V730 transmission oil also came back good. I was worried about that one, because I have had some temps into the 250 degree range a couple of times, crawling around the mountains going places a bus shouldnít, and couldnít, if it wasnít for that auto. I feel that the oil analysis is a very good way to follow engine wear trends and save on unnecessary oil changes. The lab also shows all the past analysis so I can easily compare all samples from year to year.

Just sharing my experience,

Laryn

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Dreamscape

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 05:13:01 AM »

Good for you and your pocket book. And you didn't have to get all dirty. Wink

Very smart idea.

Thanks for sharing.

Paul
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 05:34:53 AM »

I've been sampling since before we bought the bus.  I had the previous owner pull a sample before we picked up the bus and had that analyzed so that I saw the results before we had actually seen the coach.  I used to religiously do an oil change every 10,000 km with a sample pulled every 5000 km but I noticed that the 10,000 km results (which came back after I had already done the oil change) always showed that I could continue to use the oil.  Plus my good friend who is the cheapest SOB I know kept telling me I was crazy to change that often so I finally succombed & I am now pushing close to 20,000 km on the oil that is in the bus and we will be at least another 3000 km before I get back to the shop.  I think I'll make 20,000 my cutoff for an automatic oil change at least until the sampling convinces me to go for a longer drain interval.  I've got a little rig that looks like a pregnant hypodermic syringe with a long tube on it.  I stick that down the dip stick tube, screw a specimen bottle on the bottom of the syringe and I really don't have to get dirty.  If you don't have something like that you will get at least as dirty as if you had done a full blown oil change and maybe worse.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 05:57:47 AM »

If, you guys ever need sampling supplies your Cat dealer has a kit with the hoses, bottles , suction pump, lables with a hard case and most Cat dealers will give it to you if they do the testing on the oils.I  use Cat for testing  FWIW
Dreamscape

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 06:05:40 AM »

Thanks for the Nugget Clifford,

I was not aware of that service. At least we do have a CAT Dealer in Abilene. Wink

Hope you have a safe trip.

Paul
luvrbus

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 06:16:19 AM »

Paul, if Warren your Cat dealer there won't give you a kit let me know I will get one for you 

Macallister Cat shows the correct way to take a sample  with the kit

www.macallister.com/189/taking-good-oil-samples.htm 

« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 08:11:25 AM by luvrbus » Logged
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 06:35:54 AM »

How much do the CAT dealers charge for the oil analysis and how soon do you get the results back?
Dreamscape

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 06:37:15 AM »

Clifford,

I'll let you know after I check it out after I get home next week. When I worked for Hendrick Retirement Village for a short time, one of the gals husbands has been there for years.

Thanks,

Paul
Prather

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 06:52:03 AM »

I have been using BlackStone Labs.  They supply you with the kit that you mail in.  Here is the website,    http://www.blackstone-labs.net.

Prather
Dreamscape

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 07:12:10 AM »

That's great, but the link you gave is to sign up or in to their site. I really don't want to have to do that just to get information. Or am I missing something.

Good idea though,

Paul
compedgemarine

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 12:31:31 PM »

paul
if you go to the blackstone link above and click on their logo in upper left it takes you to the home page. from there you can get the info you want and prices etc. says a standard test is $22. or so. lists a bunch of tests that hopefully someone here understands.
hope that helps
steve
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 03:01:28 PM »

I use a local test lab (Titan, as I recall).  They both mail and email you the results.  Great service.  Problem is, the sample costs $20. 

Would like to hear experience from others on a more cost effective vendor.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
í85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
edroelle

1998 Royale Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 05:46:53 PM »

I have bought a dozen sample kits (including postage) from a Cummins motorhome rapair facility Coach ...?  About $5.50/ bottle

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 08:44:25 AM »

Laryn- I also have the V730.  After having the engine turbocharged and air to air intercooled, along with the transmission being overhauled, I installed a Hayden transcooler with thermostatically controlled fan on the side of the transmission.  The hot oil comes out of the transmission, through the Hayden transcooler then through the still there shell cooler.  This takes both heat out of the transmission and out of the engine.  Surprisingly, I have the fan running blowing the air from the engine compartment to the outside, since the small transcooler fan couldn't possibly over power the big radiator fan to be effective.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
superpickle

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 10:40:17 AM »

I must be to Paranoid. I'd much rather Change oil once a year Need be or Not, if not every few thousand miles.. Dont they say to change it Every 6 months wheather you drive it much or not ?
I know thats an expense, but Seems better to Err on the side of Caution ?

I really dont know bout Big Diesels though.. different animal to be sure... Grin

Paul...

Support Global Warming:
Drive an SUV.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 01:13:15 PM »

I think if the engine sits for long periods and doesn't get thoroughly warmed up to boil off any condensation then more frequent drain intervals would be warranted.  The other problem with sampling is it doesn't tell you anything until after the fact.  Getting an email response is great but - if the response says you have glycol in the oil and you have put 1000 miles on since you pulled the sample then its probably already too late.  Oil sampling is just part of a good PM program - its not an end to itself.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 10:30:39 PM »

I installed a Hayden transcooler with thermostatically controlled fan on the side of the transmission.

I was thinking about doing that, but if I keep on getting good samples back then I might get to skip that step.

if the response says you have glycol in the oil and you have put 1000 miles on since you pulled the sample then its probably already too late

The local Caterpillar lab I use is in town and they have less than a 24hr turn around time. The kits I am using were 12 for $120. That included the postage, lab cost, and bottles. Six years of sampling for me.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
edroelle

1998 Royale Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 10:25:10 AM »

I change oil on a regular basis, but still take oil samples.   I do not use the sampling to tell me when to change oil, but rather, to see if anything is going wrong. 

One time, the analysis was showing higher silicon.  The testing facility said that there was a problem with the air filtering.  Sure enough, an air inlet connection had a very small gap in it.  The analysis can also tell if you if a bearing is deteriorating or if you have fuel dilusion.

By watching your numbers over time, you can see changes and you may prevent an engine failure.   Low cost, low hassle, good insurance.

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: