Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 29, 2014, 01:04:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yearly oil analysis  (Read 2976 times)
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 01:13:15 PM »

I think if the engine sits for long periods and doesn't get thoroughly warmed up to boil off any condensation then more frequent drain intervals would be warranted.  The other problem with sampling is it doesn't tell you anything until after the fact.  Getting an email response is great but - if the response says you have glycol in the oil and you have put 1000 miles on since you pulled the sample then its probably already too late.  Oil sampling is just part of a good PM program - its not an end to itself.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 10:30:39 PM »

I installed a Hayden transcooler with thermostatically controlled fan on the side of the transmission.

I was thinking about doing that, but if I keep on getting good samples back then I might get to skip that step.

if the response says you have glycol in the oil and you have put 1000 miles on since you pulled the sample then its probably already too late

The local Caterpillar lab I use is in town and they have less than a 24hr turn around time. The kits I am using were 12 for $120. That included the postage, lab cost, and bottles. Six years of sampling for me.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
edroelle

1998 Royale Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 10:25:10 AM »

I change oil on a regular basis, but still take oil samples.   I do not use the sampling to tell me when to change oil, but rather, to see if anything is going wrong. 

One time, the analysis was showing higher silicon.  The testing facility said that there was a problem with the air filtering.  Sure enough, an air inlet connection had a very small gap in it.  The analysis can also tell if you if a bearing is deteriorating or if you have fuel dilusion.

By watching your numbers over time, you can see changes and you may prevent an engine failure.   Low cost, low hassle, good insurance.

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: