Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 24, 2014, 10:46:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brake and turn siginal lights  (Read 3122 times)
Bob Gil
Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net

Ignore
« on: June 09, 2008, 01:05:29 AM »

I have a 1968 bus converted, we have not yet figured out what is was to start with.  I have posted on the board before.  I am rewiring the lights on the rear of the bus (replaces what was burn't in the fire talked about already).

I know there is no way of knowing what has been done to the bus in the past but what you expect to find the brake lights separate from the turn signals (Like the older trucks) or combined with them (like the newer pickups and cars and some of the newer bigger vehicles)?

I am use to the older big trucks (before 1980 ish) and not that good with buses.

It has been a job but I have been working on this mess not having much progress only short amounts of time to work on it lately.  But i am about to have the tail lights all installed and was wondering how they should be.  I have most of the burn't stuff removed and am working on rebuilding things as they should have been and trying to make it all as good as possible.  The wife is getting a little impatient, with all the parts laying around and still in the boxes from e-bay and other places.

I hope to have some picture of the progress to post before too long.

Bob

Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 04:55:15 AM »

Bob,
  Check the wiring at the turn signal switch on the steering column. If the brake light wiring goes through the turn signal switch, your bus had combined stop-turn lights. If the brake light wiring to or from the brake light switch does not go through the turn signal switch you have separate lights. Even if they were combined, you can still use separate lights by not running the brake light wiring through the turn signal switch.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 04:58:10 AM »

The best place to start is by finding a service manual. Most contain wireing diagrams. With a little time and effort even a non electrician can  read the pictures.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
bigjohnkub
pd4903-188 and now pd4107

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 08:53:46 AM »

Bob's main problem is that he has not been able to identify model to order manual. I will see it this weekend and get with JLV if I can't identify.

Big John  Tyler Tx PD 4903-188 & 4107
871 dd, 4 spd Fuller.
LOVE MY BUS!!!!
Bob Gil

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 10:46:34 AM »

Big John I have been looking farward to your advice.

When My other computer crashed I was afraid I had lost the info that you sent when we exchanged e-mail.  I was hoping that you would speak up or I could find you this week end.

I have the last part of this week off so let me know when you want to get together.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 10:48:30 AM by Bob Gil » Logged

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 11:20:38 AM »

. . . . . The wife is getting a little impatient, with all the parts laying around and still in the boxes from e-bay and other places.

Your best move is to put the parts where "She Who Must Be Obeyed" doesn't see them.  Wink

That's how I was able to get away with 6  Grin

Now that I think about it, I may have been better off if she had been looking at them  Shocked

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Bob Gil

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 11:46:29 AM »

Kyle she wants it running so we can use it as in yesterday.

It is setting in the yard beside the house.  Just out side the kitchen bay window where she can see it all the time.

She ask me if I was going to do any thing with it or did she need to go out and work on it for me?

Dreamscape

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 12:39:55 PM »

Hand her a tool pouch and say "Go for it".  Grin

Then stand back out of the way cause something might be just flying through the air directed at you.  Grin

Get your wife involved so she can understand what you are going through. I know, kind of a far fetched thought huh.

All in fun OK.

My wife says she will wait to put her finishing touches on the interior. I hope she can wait that long!

Good Luck,

Paul
luvrbus

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 12:51:14 PM »

When you give her the tool pouch and tell her to go for it make sure you have salt and pepper with it and a little ketchup would not be a bad idea.
Bob Gil

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 04:11:34 PM »

I am not too sure she would know where to start.

she is a little happer now that I have the tail linghts on it.  I have been trying to get it where I can get it inspected where I can move it around a little and maybe take a short trip or two in it this summer.

I hope to make it to the deal north of dallas this fall if any way possible.

I have the tail lights wired up and installed.  The red ones are the tail lights and the brake lights along with the dim side of the yellow ones, the bright sides of the yellow ones are the turn siginals.  I hope they will be ok. 

I hope to get it where i can move it around and then clean it up and make it look better then paint it.  if I can match the paint or get close any way.

here is what I have installed so far.

I got a wide angle lense for my camera and i can get better picture of it now.  Maybe I can post some inside ones before too long.

Dreamscape

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 05:23:49 PM »

I think you are doing a great job Bob!

Even if you don't have it driveable for TBR 2008, come on up anyway. I'm sure someone has room for you and your wife. We'll be there, may not have the coach painted yet, but we'll take it anyway.

Just tell your wife that we are all pulling for you!

Thanks for posting the pics. Someone is bound to recognize what brand you have. Wink

Paul
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 06:40:49 PM »

I have the tail lights wired up and installed.  The red ones are the tail lights and the brake lights along with the dim side of the yellow ones, the bright sides of the yellow ones are the turn siginals.  I hope they will be ok. 

Bob, in most places it's illegal for the amber lights to come on with the brakes.  It's also not legal to have amber running lights on the back -- red only.

Wire the brakes to the red ones only, and use the bright ambers for turn.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 06:49:01 PM »

yep no amber lit on the back except for turn.. thats FED DOT
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 07:15:16 PM »

Doesn't the fact that the coach has amber rear turns indicate a separate "truck-style" turn signal circuit? 
If Bob's bus had OEM integrated brake/turn sigs his tail lights would all be red.
Bob, don't use the "dim" filament in the amber turn signals.  Only the bright filaments are  used in the turn signal circuits on the rear of the bus...you could use the low watt filaments in the front turn signals for park lights.  May be wired like that already?
You can use both filaments (red light assemblies) for your brake and tail lights.   
Attach all the red tail light leads to the low watt filaments, and tie all the brake light leads to the high watt filaments.  Look good and make for bright brake lights.

BTW, be very careful enlisting your wife to help.  I did that.  And Terri will work...and she did.   But I always seemed to be reduced to her 'helper' and only her projects got attention.   Plan for your "help."
I'm still appreciative for her help...but don't count on getting your 'thing' completed while assisting your wife.  Wink

FWIW, JR

« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 07:22:29 PM by NJT5047 » Logged

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
lyndon
1988 MC-9 DDC 6V92TA Fuller T-11605D

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 11:52:11 PM »

Bob, I am a bit surprised that your yellow ones have a "dim side". As others have pointed out, you might want to hook the brake lights to the "bright side" of the red lights only. The amber lights are for turn/hazard flashers.

As for the wife, I think Lynn is more into the conversion side of the project than I am. But she says the mechanical stuff is my department. (All the fun vs. all the work, methinks...). Can't complain, though. It's great to have a project partner!

Don

Don
1988 MC-9
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: