Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 22, 2014, 08:41:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power Tech generator  (Read 4526 times)
dwbruner

Ignore
« on: June 11, 2008, 11:18:08 PM »

I'm looking at a used Power Tech 12000 SI (12KW) generator with low hours to put in my Eagle.  I did a search and found a 2006 post with favorable comments about 8KW models....any red flags, pros, cons, etc for this specific genset?  Thanks in advance for your feedback! Smiley

Thanks,
Darrin

Darrin Bruner
1985 Eagle Model 10
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 04:18:17 AM »

Darrin, I have been following the boards for many years, also I was in the genset business for many years and I do not recall ever hearing any bad experiences with the PowerTech brand.

Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 05:04:08 AM »

We purchased a used 8 KW directly from PowerTech. Had a problem shortly after purchase which was handled promptly by PowerTech (we now have a 10 KW head).  I know several others who have purchased used PowerTechs and only one other problem, that 7.5 KW generator had about 6000 hours, when an end plate bearing failed.  PowerTech has always been very helpful whenever I have talked to them about any generator problem, even questions about non PowerTech generators.  Jack

PS:  If you need to call PowerTech, have the serial number of the unit, that allows them to access the build record on that unit.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 05:13:53 AM by JackConrad » Logged

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Dreamscape

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 05:06:09 AM »

There you go Darrin,

Sounds like Power Tech is a good choice.

The experts have said so.

Good Luck,

Paul
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 05:16:33 PM »

I have an 8k in a quiet pack.  As long as you keep the air filter clean, it'll run great.

Bill
Tampa Bay

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 10:13:23 PM »

I have a 10kw PT that has about 600hrs on it (like 24,000miles) without any problems.  I like the older Powertechs with mechanical solenoid activation.  So what if you have to hold the glow plug by hand for 10 seconds?  I don't believe Powertech is making the mechanical solenoid activation-only electronic now.  Wrico, on the other hand still does.  If you live on the west coast, use Wrico.  If you live on the east coast use Powertech.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
dwbruner

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 11:44:20 PM »

Thanks for everyone's feedback! Smiley
I've purchased the 12KW Power Tech and plan to pick it up next week. Cool

Thanks again,
Darrin

Darrin Bruner
1985 Eagle Model 10
Dreamscape

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 04:51:00 AM »

Oh Boy! The fun continues!

Great news!

Which bay are you putting it in?

Paul
dwbruner

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 07:15:13 AM »

Paul,
I plan to put it in the drivers side rear bay....same spot where the old generator currently sits.  This Power Tech unit will allow me to pull out the big commercial genset that the PO "stuffed" in there.  It will also be much more quiet and take up less space.  I'm trying to get all my utilities in the rear bay....the smaller footprint of the Power Tech will really help. Grin
See ya,
Darrin

Darrin Bruner
1985 Eagle Model 10
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: