Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 16, 2014, 04:27:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $20.00 engine rebuild  (Read 2141 times)
fraser8
Fraser

1972 Prevost

Ignore
« on: June 12, 2008, 09:47:02 AM »

I'm doing a $20 engine rebuild, a couple of cans of paint and a  lot of elbow grease. The question is, originally the engine appears to be red now it has a battle ship gray paint covering it. What color should it be, I have lots of John Deere green here on the farm but it may be a little bright. I still looking for an answer on the 'NOT GEN' light does it mean the generator isn't working?

Fraser Field
Deroche, BC, Canada
Where the milk cows out number the people, but they can't vote
1972 Prevost, Detroit 8-71/740 Allison automatic, Jakes
Hobbies: restoring classic cars, www.oldambulance.com, arranging old car tours: www.coasters2010.com, www.canadiancoasters.ca
Retired Paramedic
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 10:03:26 AM »

I have  a DD 6V71 which was Detroit Green, at rebuid it was painted Cat yellow.  I belive this was an attempt to stop it from leaking oil.  It did not work!!

My gen lite has said not genning for a several years. I plan on fixing it someday. Anybody got an easy fix?  Its an MCI5C by the way. The voltage meter in the dash still says it is putting out, so untl I run out of lights or battery I am going by the volt meter!!!!!  My house and bus systems can be cross tied with a selector switch so I am not concerened.

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 10:21:14 AM »

as early as 1975 Detroits that left the factory to be mated to an Automatic in buses were RED.    Also, Reliabuilt Detroits were painted red.

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 10:33:03 AM »

My 1980 8V-92TA was painted charcoal gray.  My present bus is regulation Detroit Green. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
junkman42

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 11:13:12 AM »

Fraser 8, As a collector of John Deere tractors I would be nervous about putting JD green on a DD.  Remember nothing runs like a deere.  Seriously , on My mc7 wire 33 attaches to a winding in the alternator and when the alternator is producing it powers a relay that turns the light on.  On My bus the relay is in the box mounted on the driver side rear fender well right inside the engine door.  Do not know if Yours is the same.  I attached a wire there to run My tach.  Good luck, John.
fraser8
Fraser

1972 Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 11:39:51 AM »

Guys, many thanks. The coach is a Prevost but the end caps and complete dash is an MCI (the PO liked the MCI dash better) I'll check the connections for the NOT GEN  problem this afternoon. A red engine might be cool, but the gray may look better, but I'll look around for a Detroit green color. Don't worry I'll keep the JD green in the barn.

Fraser Field
Deroche, BC, Canada
Hobbies: restoring classic cars, www.oldambulance.com, arranging old car tours: www.coasters2010.com, www.canadiancoasters.ca
Retired Paramedic
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 11:54:23 AM »

Detroit Alpine Green  Krylon DE 1618
http://www.kpg-industrial.com/products/engine_paint_with_ceramic/

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
steamguy56

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 01:30:23 PM »

Yeeeeah !!!! Farmall red....(sorry thats the kind of tractors I collect)
       Danny
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 01:35:53 PM »

Has anyone ever come across the Detroit Alpine Green paint in a small can (for brush use).  I have only ever seen spray cans, and there are some touch up areas and smaller pieces I think would be easier to hit with a brush.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 04:03:49 PM »

Take a sample to HD or Lowes and have them match it.

Its amazing how good there color scanners work.....

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
HB of CJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 04:14:48 PM »

Now wait just a minute here.  All of us old coots know that Detroits must be painted Detroit Diesel GREEN, preferably applied with a cheap paint brush.  It is common knowledge that paint does help (somewhat) to keep the oil INSIDE.  Thank you.  Smiley Smiley Smiley
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 04:20:48 PM »

Take a sample to HD or Lowes and have them match it.

Its amazing how good there color scanners work.....

Cliff

Do they have/blend paints that can withstand engine temperatures and oil exposure?  I know engine paint isn't quite exhaust paint, but always thought it was designed for higher temperatures than standard household enamels.

I've been told, haven't tried it yet, that NAPA has similar paint color matching equipment.  I would presume that they have engine grade paints.
fraser8
Fraser

1972 Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 06:05:32 PM »

I agree, I prefer the bucket and brush method makes me feel like Rembrandt instead of a graffiti artist. With the bush I don't need to mask off the area and it can dribble into those hard to reach areas.......

Fraser Field
Deroche, BC, Canada
Retired Paramedic
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 07:40:24 PM »

Go with mauve.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Sojourner

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 08:14:07 PM »

About spray can paint for touch up....just shake it well and spray toward inter can's cover until enough to use for touch-up and artist brush.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: