Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 20, 2014, 07:04:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aluminum thickness...  (Read 3293 times)
Danny

87' MCI 102A3 - getting there...

Ignore
« on: April 06, 2006, 08:21:01 PM »

Question:  What does the group say regarding the thickness of aluminum skin that replaces or covers the windows on an MCI 102?

Thanks as always,
Danny

I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 08:40:53 PM »

Danny,

At least 080 or 16ga how ever you know how to read thickness.

I have .080 alum. on my bus. I now wish I used Steel because of the expantion and contraction of alum.

My next reskinning will be 22ga. cold rolled steel!!

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Danny

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 08:44:35 PM »

Thanks Nick - I am going to talk to a guy this weekend about placing an order...

Danny

I have heard it said, "life comes at you fast".  I didn't know it would be in the shape of a bus  :-)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 08:59:41 AM »

Danny,

Isn't there an issue/consideration of attaching aluminum to steel framework?  The entire top of the 102 is steel to start with, right? 

I read a post long ago where the Nut used steel and heated it from inside the coach during install with lots of heat lamps.  Kept it hot til all the rivets were installed.  He said it only got wavy in Pheonix in the summer.  Just what I heard.

Thank you for your post.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 09:34:58 AM »

I used 16 gage steel on the Eagle. It never looks wavey.

When dissimilar metals meet, corrosion and electrolysis happen. If it must be done, use something to insulate them from each other.

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
Danny

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 04:31:57 PM »

Thanks for the comments guys!  I placed an order today with .080... Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: