Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 07:42:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tail light question  (Read 1814 times)
Blacksheep

« on: June 13, 2008, 11:48:34 AM »

all original lights on back of bus are single contact. ALL meaning red tail/stop, amber turn, and clear backup all have a single contact.

New lights going in are red tail/stop DOUBLE contact, amber turn SINGLE contact and clear backup SINGLE contact.

WHAT TO DO?

Trying to use the original connection as much as possible!

Thanks

BS
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 11:54:18 AM »

sOriginal were?

brake light single contact
tail light single contact
turn single contact?

or where brake/tail combined?
Blacksheep

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 12:29:47 PM »

8 lights on each side

2 clear backup
2 amber turn
4 red  (2 stop, 2 tail)

ALL have single contacts!
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 12:43:53 PM »

that makes sense

I thought generally dual contact bulbs were for combined use lights

running lights/turnsignals
brake/tail

if the new setup is more modern it is likely that the dual contacts are set up that way for increased rear visibility ( more light on back of bus)

just cut your old connectors off and wire the new ones on approriately
Blacksheep

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 12:46:58 PM »

I was really trying to avoid that if possible!

The NEW backup and turn signal lights have 2 wires where the red stop/tail lights have 3 wires!

I don't mind screwing up a light or two but really find it hard to start cutting into the existing wiring harness on the bus! That's why I would rather find out what I can do first!

BS
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 12:53:05 PM »

Ace, Check the lamp type that goes in there.  It seems to me that some of the later lamps don't use the shell at all for contact, that the filament goes from pin to pin.  If that's the case, I think the bayonet pins will be at the same point on the shell rather than staggered (so the lamp can go in either way).

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Blacksheep

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 01:00:50 PM »

Len Yes I understand that but here is what I'm trying to accomplish!

Removed the old original (incandescent) lights and in the process of fabricating a polished SS panel to house 8 NEW LED lights. The NEW LED's are pre-wired with a dummy bulb socket plug that replaces the bulb itself which would require NO splicing or wire tracing! Simply remove old bulb, and install new LED plug just as if it were a bulb! That's where the problem lies. As described above, some of the NEW LED's (the red ones) have a dual contact and the clear and amber have a single. The OLD light connectors ALL have single contacts! 

OO   vs   O   on the very bottom, NOT the side!

BS
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 01:09:32 PM »

You are probably wired for separate brake / turn lamp circuits.

You cannot combine them without a relay to work with the separate
circuits.

Find and use the " Trailer/Toad " 24 volt to 12 volt relay diagram.

If you have 24 volts then relay coils need to be 24 volts.
If you only have 12 volts then just wire acordingly.

This will merge your separate brake and turn circuits together to use
the 3-wire lamp assembly.

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 02:11:00 PM »

Ace, here's the way we hooked ours up. For the Amber turn signals pick the ground lead and the brightest of the other two leads. Just wire the odd wire out  of the way. Tail lights are the dimmest of the two. No law against having more than one tail light.  Stop lights being the brighter..same situation applies.

If, when you're finished, the rear of your bus looks like a gigantic Christmas tree you can feel pretty confident that no one will run into the back of it in a fog! Wink

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Sojourner

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 02:49:54 PM »

Removed the old original (incandescent) lights and in the process of fabricating a polished SS panel to house 8 NEW LED lights. The NEW LED's are pre-wired with a dummy bulb socket plug that replaces the bulb itself which would require NO splicing or wire tracing! Simply remove old bulb, and install new LED plug just as if it were a bulb! That's where the problem lies. As described above, some of the NEW LED's (the red ones) have a dual contact and the clear and amber have a single. The OLD light connectors ALL have single contacts! 

OO   vs   O   on the very bottom, NOT the side!

BS

Now I think I understand what your problem is........Their use to be a kit available in the old days…to be able to tap into inside of bayonet for your needs. It may be still on market? ? ? ?
I suggest getting an old dual contact bayonet and two single contact bulb (broken & cleaned) bases with wires harness in-between. Solder a ground wire to all three shells and each of two wires from dual pins to two individual single contact bulb’s base. You can electrical tape all bare soldered joints into an “ACE Conversion” adapter. Shrink tubing may work if you add several layer of tape to tighten seal from large bulb base to small wire or wires.

Sorry if I am wrong for incorrectly read your post.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 07:07:56 PM by Sojourner » Logged
Blacksheep

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 06:56:19 PM »

OK thinking this might work and correct me if I'm wrong! My bus has a light bucket (plastic) that has two wires going to each one. the wires are connected to brass terminals, one for each wire. One goes to the side and one stays flat on the bottom. The bottom being where the incandescent bulb sits or makes contact! My question is, if I were to install something like this, would it work the same as what is original! The original is hard to describe. It's very elementary in design! ONE flat contact on the bottom that makes contact with the bulb that has ONE single contact on the bottom. Let me also add that the NEW red LED lights have staggered side pins where as the amber and back-up have straight side pins! The amber and B/U work fine as they are! The RED ones are the double contact lights where my bus has a single! I was wondering if going to a two contact socket like this for the RED lights would work!

Thanks
BS

Also in the other pic you can see the NEW LED's with the plug socket on the end that simply (Huh) goes into your existing socket!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 07:02:38 PM by Blacksheep » Logged
Sojourner

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 07:10:26 PM »

The RED ones are the double contact lights where my bus has a single! I was wondering if going to a two contact socket like this for the RED lights would work!

Thanks
BS

Also in the other pic you can see the NEW LED's with the plug socket on the end that simply (Huh) goes into your existing socket!

Yes....if the first photo is the pigtails from the double contact socket assembly. Take the old single contact bulb....break the globe & clean broken glass from it......rosin core solder its wire to filament's post. Or order the single contact ends from them that made the Leds lite.

Let us know the progress.

FWIW

« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 07:22:07 PM by Sojourner » Logged
Sojourner

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 07:25:27 PM »

BTW...Ace...what brands are those Led Lite or web site?

Thank you.

Blacksheep

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 07:26:31 PM »

Jerry I don't understand the breaking of the bulb! Thr New LED'S are equipped to screw into the socket! That's why I posted the second pic.
Bob Gil
Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 07:52:14 PM »

If I understand correctly you have the old lights that you want to replace and up date to LED.  But the LED have the dual filament plugs and the old lights had the single filament plugs.

seams like you might have a little problem with out cutting the old plugs off and starting from scratch.  You might be able to find the plugs to match the new lights and wire it that way.

I just bought regular lights from Fleet Pride and used them they had the three wire plugs that are standard for most truck lights.

Wish could help you more.

Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: