Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 10:50:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: batteries again 8D ?????  (Read 3687 times)
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 03:59:26 PM »

This is a subject which I've tossed around in my mind for almost 2 years. I'll add some info that some of you don't offer...my system is 24V start and lighting but (conversion) 12V house system.

I live in the south, NC, and winter in FL. I still want my 8D's even though I know people who use 31's.
If, and that's part of the 8D problem, I maintain a decent charge in my 8D's they should last me for 5-6 years providing I don't abuse them. Asking 31's to start the engine, accept the charge rate of that BIG alternator, share that charge with a Vanner to maintain the house batteries strikes me as too much to ask of Grp 31's.

I don't have any Inverters so that's not a problem..I try to use the KISS principle. My way isn't the best but it works for me.

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 05:12:22 PM »

This is a subject which I've tossed around in my mind for almost 2 years. I'll add some info that some of you don't offer...my system is 24V start and lighting but (conversion) 12V house system.

I live in the south, NC, and winter in FL. I still want my 8D's even though I know people who use 31's.
If, and that's part of the 8D problem, I maintain a decent charge in my 8D's they should last me for 5-6 years providing I don't abuse them. Asking 31's to start the engine, accept the charge rate of that BIG alternator, share that charge with a Vanner to maintain the house batteries strikes me as too much to ask of Grp 31's.

I don't have any Inverters so that's not a problem..I try to use the KISS principle. My way isn't the best but it works for me.

Bob

My experience with 8D's is that they never lasted 5 or 6 years. That is why I changed to the 31's.

I do not think the size of the alternator has anything to do with battery life. Even with a 1,000 amp rated alternator, it will only put out the amount of amps necessary to bring the charge voltage up to around 14 volts. It might take 10 amps or 100 amps but the voltage regulator will decide what the output voltage is and which will control the amperage. At least that is my opinion, FWIW.

Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 05:37:01 PM »

Virtually every big rig truck uses size 31 batteries.  So what size battery do you think will be easier to find on the road?  I have 2- 31's Interstate 950cca that turn over the 8V-71 with high compression pistons just fine.  If they are down or it is cold, I can just hit the paralleling switch to also use the 2- 8D deep cycles to help out.   Highly recommend you get away from 8D starting batteries.  If you have a 24v system, then use 4-31's.  Lot easier to handle.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
rcbishop

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2008, 06:16:58 PM »

Teke...U R correct...MIS-read as CCA ( sorry) must be maturity....  Sad Grin

DML....I agree with U....Have "gotten along" with 31s for a few years now.  8Ds don't seem to last very long....and I have used them in a Crane as well as a coach.

FWIW  Smiley
RCB
compedgemarine

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2008, 06:28:48 PM »

dont know which is best but my '82 Eagle was built new with 3 grp 31's and has had nothing else its whole life. it was sent new to colorado springs so it ran in the cold. seems to work fine and I have never had a problem.
steve
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2008, 06:37:02 PM »

hmmm, MCI's still coming with 8D's.

31's are common nowdays in trucks from a economic standoipt...which is one of the reason people switch from 8D's

the other is weight ( ease of handling the 31's)

I don;t think anyone has said that 31's won;t do the job........but 8D's are a larger capacity battery.

and that larger capacity has nothing to do with the A/C

now idea why people have problems with the 8D's

13 buses in my family over the years...only one that ever had battery issues was the 4104, which was fixed when I put solar trickle system on it.  prior to that 2-3 year...after that 8 years +

Blacksheep

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2008, 06:59:01 PM »

T-Bird,  I had a 1965 Eagle 01 that came with 2-8D's for starting! It didn't have the original bus air when I got it but it still had the huge blower fans for the a/c unit. With the 8d'sm the blowers would come on starting out kind of slow until they picked up speed, then ran fine although the running lights on the bus dimmed. After changing the 2 8d's for 4 group 31's, the blower fans still ran but started out a little faster. The lights never did dim after that. Eventually all the wiring was replaced and the blowers were removed! I kind of still feel the large capacity 8d's were there back in the day for the large blowers used and buses sitting idle for long periods of time with the a/c unit on!
A friend of mine had 8d's in his 05 pro converted Eagle and it left him stranded here at my house. He has NO factory air or anything else for that matter regarding the 8d's! They were used to start ONLY! If I recall, it only sat about 1 week. It was a surprise to him when he went to start it and got nothing! We fabricated a battery tray in the RR motor corner and mounted 3 group 31's with shorter cables than the originals. To this day, he has yet to have any trouble! I think cable length has a lot to do with good starting. That and a VERY GOOD ground!

BS
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2008, 07:28:20 PM »

A properly operating alternator on a modern bus (post 50's) will easily produce more than enough power for Coach HVAC blowers.

Again your coaches scenerio seems more likey just older batteries.

I seem to see alot of people who have 8D "problems are having problems with the 8D's that came with their coach from wherever they got it.  These batteries can certainly be geting on in years and or mismatched.

Yep mismatched batteries will cause problems.....thats why you replace them as sets.  Even in AA batteries, yeah throwing one new on in a pack of 6 will boost the output a bit to make your remote work for a week more but the others will kill that good battery.

Seems to me that since the begining of MCI they have been using 8D's...and still are ( although you can get 31's in a Prevost) with MCI probably having the most coaches on the road daily you would tthink if 31's were the answer theen they would be using them......even is only to put a few more bucks in thier pocket.

Again, do whatever you want....it is your coach. 

Lonnie time to go
Lonnie

Saginaw, Michgan

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2008, 07:54:04 PM »

GREAT INFO GUYS THANKS
I HAVE FOUND BATTERIES AT SAMS CLUB FOR A LOT CHEAPER .
I KNOW SOME DO NOT LIKE WALMART QUALITY BUT THERE 40% CHEAPER
ON 8D  AND GROUP 31  BOTH MADE FOR THE NORTH.
I SHOULD PUT THAT ON A NEW POST BUT Huh?

1976 4905
Blacksheep

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2008, 07:58:34 PM »

Be cautious with the 8d's from Sam's! We bought 2 of them when we picked up our 01 Eagle in Louisiana and they lasted until we got in the driveway! Charging system checked out good. Batteries didn't hold a charge! Didn't run with the lights on either. They just slowly drained and when I got home, bus would not start! Let me also add that after they sat for about 20 minutes they would crank the motor slowly but no start!

BS
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2008, 08:06:21 PM »

the problem with any off brand/store brand battery of any group is they are usually carrying alot less lead  than the same battery in the manufacturer's brand.

this is the case in alot of stuff.

For instance, you might notice shopping for powertools at one of the big box stores that there are model numbers that are not on the manufacturer's site......they were built to the stores specs....and mainly cheaper to support the lower price.

Now I'd never buy an 8D from Wallyworld, for the above reason and I question thier volume of sales.  Like tires...you don;t want a battery that has been sitting on a shelf for 2 years or so.

Batteryies have build codes on them for a reason...and I am not talking the stupid little date decal that they pluck when you buy it.

Lonnie time to go
Lonnie

Saginaw, Michgan

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2008, 09:07:29 PM »

i thought that so  sams have energizer brand   must be new to the big battery market
what are the best brand names  ?

1976 4905
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 06:04:07 AM »

I buy my 8D's from NAPA about $150 apiece and warranteed anywhere in the country! Also just about every NAPA I ever saw had delivery trucks! I had them bring me a set out to a hotel once.  FWIW.  Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 06:38:10 AM »

not sure about today, but 10 years ago there were only a handfull of battery manufacturers in the states..........with dozens of brand names. 

the Energizer branding does not mean that is who made them......they were likely made by a well known manufacturer to Wallyword specs.  (read cheaply)

Alot of Real Battery places will deliver, I had a 100 round trip delivery in 1999 while in CA

Spend a bit more and get a real brand of battery and any dealer will replace them nationwide

edroelle

1998 Royale Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 09:56:31 AM »

Sam's 8Ds never lasted more than 2 years.  Sometimes, less than a year.   A friend had similar experience.

Because of better warranty, I was going to change to Group 31s.  IF, your engine starts easily, and IF, you will always preheat the engine, 2 would probably be adequate.

Have any of you recognized that new car batteries last substantially longer than replacements?   I am just now going to replace an 8 year old battery in a Buick Regal.

Ed
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: