Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 05:49:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Motor cooling tips....  (Read 7715 times)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2008, 09:29:52 AM »

Chaz,

Using the "gun", check the temps of the water coming out of the heads.  They should be close to being equal.  I understand that one head always runs a few degree hatter.  While the chatter is that that anomaly has stumped the 'panel", I suspect that only one side is used to feed the aftercooler and it is that device that is accounting for the temp diff.  Still they should be close.

Is your trans torque converter locking up like it should?

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2008, 11:50:35 AM »

Thanx John, but I must say, I'm still a bit in the dark. (sorry) I'm unsure what an aftercooler is.
And how can a person tell if the convertor IS hooking up??  (Boy I need some schoolin!! Undecided)

Thanx John,
    Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2008, 01:11:34 PM »

Chaz,

Using the "gun", check the temps of the water coming out of the heads.  They should be close to being equal.  I understand that one head always runs a few degree hatter.  While the chatter is that that anomaly has stumped the 'panel", I suspect that only one side is used to feed the aftercooler and it is that device that is accounting for the temp diff.  Still they should be close.

Is your trans torque converter locking up like it should?

John

No aftercoolers on 8V71 NAs.  We have a temp gauge on each cylinder head and the right head runs about 5-8 degrees hotter. I know several other people with dual temp gauges and all seem to show the same differences in temps.  Only reason I can come up with is that water pump is on left side of the engine. Maybe left head gets water a little quicker or more direct from radiator???   Just a guess.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2008, 08:06:47 AM »

Hey, I finally got a new toy..........A Raytek Temp gun.  Grin Grin Grin Grin Woo Hoo!! Now I can play around with it and not worry about getting it back to the owner.

Quick question: Should I check the temp at various parts of the motor to verify the mechanical temp gauge is correct? Could there be issues in the heads or block? How about individual cylinders? Could that give me any indication as to possible trouble spots?

Just curious. I'm wanting to play with my new toy!  Roll Eyes  Grin Grin  lolol

Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

makemineatwostroke

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2008, 08:15:07 AM »

Chaz, if you have the factory double cooler one side will be 5 or so degrees warmer don't sweat that it is just the cooler doing it's job cooling the transmission and engine oil if it is a single cooler it is for the engine oil only  have a great day and enjoy your new toy it will even find air leaks for you
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 08:17:56 AM by makemineatwostroke » Logged
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2008, 10:01:50 AM »

OOOOWWWWW!  Air leaks down the road.  Now there is a plus.

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2008, 08:52:53 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Vehicles-Trailers_Buses__MCI-Bus-Conversion-Great-Condition-Ready-To-Go_W0QQitemZ120287490780QQddnZOtherQ20VehiclesQ20Q26Q20TrailersQQadnZBusesQQddiZ2828QQadiZ2802QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120287490780&_trksid=p3756.m14.l1318

Chaz, here is an example of fixing the symptom and not the problem.

kingfa39

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2008, 09:23:17 PM »

im gonna get rid of my oil to water herat exchanger and replace it with a haydon cooler only, i have a freind that did this and it really works well, heat exchangers can be a real pain, have see internal leaks that can mix water and oil together making a real mess, also that 730 will heat up the the oil even when in lock up. just an opinion. mine runs much warmer with that heat exchanger than it did before
Frank Allen 4106
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2008, 10:05:04 AM »

That's a little on the extreme side Teke. And not even close to the same idea as doing small things to try and help the ol'girl stay cool. But you have a point...... albeit "off the chart extreme".

Hey Frank,
  Ya know, YOU make a VERY valid point - or two. I just may do that. It really makes good sense!! Especially since my bus was a manual to start with.  Why put more pressure on the radiator?!?! And I want to put an oil to air heat exchanger on anyway. I imagine the radiator can, and does, take it, but it "would seem"   that a better way of doing it would be to keep them separate.
  Which Hayden did you use? Would you recommend the same one? I do believe I can fab up a real clean setup in the area where the toilet tube is. I'm going to have to look at that today.

Thanx for the thought!!
         Chaz

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2008, 11:54:13 AM »

Teke,

In that abortion of a cooling system on the 9 I noticed that the engine exhaust was dark and oily in appearance.  Worn 2 cycle being almost impossible to cool? 

John

—Pla
tekebird

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2008, 12:13:32 PM »

Come on John,

that is one of the finest examples of a cooling system retrofit I think one might find. said in a sarcastic tone.

watch out or the Do it your way extremist will get you
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2008, 12:31:39 PM »

Teke,

Heck, I stand corrected. Roll Eyes  Colling systems as "art"? Tongue  Who wooda thunk it? Huh  Beauty and engineering excellance is in the eye of the beholder. Grin

"Do it your way extremest"?  I resemble that remark!

Keep on truck'n,

John
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 12:33:27 PM by JohnEd » Logged

—Pla
Marcus

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2008, 01:45:21 PM »

I know this may sound strange but I had issues with overheating. I put in new cores and new thermostats and still had the problem. I have a mci 9 with 8 v 71. Someone on the board asked me if my auto tranny (740) perhaps is over filled with fluid / . It was . I removed however much by changeing filter and it lowered the temp by 10 degrees. Still doing fine. Mrac
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2008, 09:07:14 AM »

Thanx Marc, good tip. I think mine is fine but that is a good tip to keep in mind. (but I wonder how it works??)

Still wondering about which Hayden would be the best to use without completely overkilling it. (which I am known to do  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes )

Chaz

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2008, 09:45:54 AM »

I want to make a very valid point on eliminating the water to oil shell cooler.  With the water to oil cooler, the transmission actually warms up faster and stays at a more constant temperature-very close to the engine temp.  By installing an air to oil cooler with a fan like I did, it takes out a big chunk of the initial heat then the rest from the shell cooler.  This has the advantage of still heating the transmission up to temp sooner, and if it is cold out like in winter, it actually will keep the trans warm.
Whereas if you just have an air to oil cooler in front of the radiator, especially in winter, the transmission may never come up to temp creating a cold oil running situation that will make for a sluggish transmission.  Personally like the idea of the shell cooler.  Besides, virtually every big Diesel has a water to oil engine oil cooler that is built just like the shell cooler.  Properly made a shell cooler should last the life of the engine.  Just like everyone saying how Detroits belches oil all over the engine, I've seen virtually every make of engine at one time or another with a leak that has completely coated the engine with oil.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: