Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 19, 2014, 10:38:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LED lights AGAIN  (Read 4003 times)
Blacksheep

« on: June 17, 2008, 09:09:20 AM »

Purchased the LED lights for our upgrade via NCBob's recommendation made by Bargman. A really nice light. We got the red stop/tail and amber turn. These are the 84 series lights if anyone needs to know. After getting them, we decided it would be nice to have matching back-up lights. Here is where the problem started. None to be found! Ok so we decide to look at the Dialight brand that is a direct replacement for what we have which is Hella 65 series. Dead end here too as they don't even make a matching back-up light. Back on the phone with Bargman and after a whole week of run a rounds with this distributor and the next, not to mention retailers in just about every state, I finally found matching back-up lights made by none other than Bargman/Wesbar. No dealer, no distributor, no retailer, has or had any info on this light. I DID have a part number which was more than anyone else had. It's so new they are not even made yet but they will be now that they have an order for them! By the way, if anyone needs or wants LED upgrades, I would suggest going to www.texmood.com or call and ask for Ki Moody. This place is second to none as they are the ONLY one that had these lights listed on their web site and during our phone conversation, Ki Moody was very personable and said he would do what needed to be done to expedite the order.

I just got a call from Becky at Bargman and she tells me these lights will be available for shipment by the end of this month! Now I can go forward with finishing up the Polished SS  light panels.

By the way, this is the ONLY repeat ONLY "all clear" back-up light available in the 84 series that I have found! I have found a back-up light that is red with a clear center but wasn't really what I was looking for.

If anyone needs any more information about LED light upgrades from my recent experience, just ask!

BS

H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 09:56:37 AM »

Ace, I used the backup lights from IB&P.  Here is a picture of them.  35 watts each.  Not as bright as I'd like, but way better than the stock ones.  No wiring mods.

How much did you pay for the 84 series Dialites?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 10:06:20 AM by H3Jim » Logged

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Blacksheep

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 10:28:25 AM »

Jim Dialight doesn't have an 84 series all clear back up light! The Bargman I ordered are 46 each. The stop and turn lights were 27 each. Dialight wanted 96 each for what they had but as I said, no matching back up!

Also Jim after looking at your pic, you have the same thing I was finding. They don't match the other lights you have! I wanted mine to be all the same just as the original are!
BS
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 10:32:54 AM by Blacksheep » Logged
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 10:55:22 AM »

The stainless covers are the same size as the other lights and I think it ended up looking pretty good.  Sure puts out more light, I can almost see when I'm backing up at night Shocked).

Prevost sells the Dialite red and ambers for $78 each, with shipping.  Still adds up when you are buying 13 of them not including the backups. 

Stock they were wired so there were two red running lights on each side, and two red brake lights on each side.  The red Dialites have two levels of brightness. I wired them so they are connected 4 to a side for each.  They are almost too bright.  The service manager at Prevost said he had wired a coach like that for a customer and he got a ticket from Cal CHP for being too bright!

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Blacksheep

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 11:27:24 AM »

Yea Prevost quoted me 1592.00 to supply the led's but again, no led back-up!
After I'm finished I will have $530.00 in the whole rear section and that includes shipping!
BS
Bob Gil
Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 12:09:33 PM »

here is what I did.  I got these at Fleet pride, all 6 for 109.54 I think that was lights rubber gromunts and pig tails.

I know they are not the ones that bolt  on like the ones you have.

I know the mountings don't look that great I made them in a hurry I need to get it inspected.  I hope to go back and make better later. 

Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 05:26:11 PM »

Bob, those aren't too shabby!  Good work.
Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Blacksheep

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 06:32:22 PM »

Jim here is a link to TEX Mood where I found the back up lights that match the other lights I got from Bargman.

http://www.texmood.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=47-84-026&x=0&y=0

and a pic of the red and amber lights I already have.

The red and amber lights were 361.00 delivered and the 4 back-up lights were 176.00 delivered. I don't think that is too awful bad considering what some of these places are trying to get for them!

BS
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 07:49:31 PM »

Ace, I just posted some pictures of the LED lights I built for my Prevost there are pictures on my site for them I think I only had about 250 bucks for all of them by the time I was finished........

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 07:55:00 PM »

I purchased some dual headlights from Kenworth they were not cheap, but way cheaper than IBP or Prevost.........I'm trying to find someone to build the housing for them now, I didn't care for the one's from IBP, I'd rather have them built where they are not riveted and showing, I would like the seams on the interior(behind the front skin)! Finding someone to build them could be a problem!

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 06:30:02 AM »

Are many of you changing to led because you like the look or just like to spend money? I travel the highways alot and have noticed many new cars and trucks with led which have some of the led's out in the string. It seems to me that then you need to change the whole light because they are a sealed unit and throw it away and buy new. I have a Prevost with the old style round back lights and have replace all my rear, front, side and roof lights for less than $300 and if a bulb burns out it only costs me about $1.00. Just curious why everyone is so hyped up on led.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
zimtok

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 12:27:21 PM »

Are many of you changing to led because you like the look or just like to spend money? I travel the highways alot and have noticed many new cars and trucks with led which have some of the led's out in the string. It seems to me that then you need to change the whole light because they are a sealed unit and throw it away and buy new. I have a Prevost with the old style round back lights and have replace all my rear, front, side and roof lights for less than $300 and if a bulb burns out it only costs me about $1.00. Just curious why everyone is so hyped up on led.

I went with LED lights because I was going to change the whole fixture anyway.

The advantages as I see them are as follows:
1. Less amperage draw on the system. (old bus wiring)
2. Brighter tail/brake lights (backup lights are not much brighter)
3. Sealed to prevent dirt getting inside the lens where it is difficult to clean.
4. Supposed to last longer then standard bulbs.
5. Mine look cool on the bus.

1960 PD4104-4971 - Memphis TN

Buy the new Eddie L Smith CD "STAYIN LONG" at:
http://www.eddielsmith.com
Everyone is welcome to any of our gigs listed on the website.

Bob Gil
Bob Gilbreath bobgil@sbcglobal.net

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 12:50:51 PM »

When ask why I replaced mine I would have to say every thing that Zimtok said and they looked and worked better than what I had in the first place.

Fort Worth, Texas where GOD is so close you don't even need a phone!

1968 GM Bus of unknown model 6V53 engine (aftermarket) converted with house hold items.

Had small engine fire and had no 12 volt system at time of purchase. 
Coach is all 110 w 14KW diesel genrator
Blacksheep

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 01:05:05 PM »

In my situation, I was going to replace all my rear lenses anyway due to them being very dull, cracked and weathered. The price for just the lenses from Prevost was scary enough so it just happened to be a good time to upgrade to led's. True the current draw is lower but they ARE brighter. I know my current back-up lights are not much more than a regular flashlight! Going to led's will also keep me from having a bulb burn out unknowingly!
Yes being brighter and newer is COOL too!
BS
luvrbus

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 01:14:08 PM »

I spent close to 700 bucks for the LED for my Eagle and removed them and shipped them back because the way Eagles lights were design they act like a side marker lights also and LED lights shine to the back only nothing on the sides so I will stay with the old style till something better comes out but they are cool looking at night
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 01:16:29 PM by luvrbus » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: