Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 28, 2014, 05:41:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What can WE do about oil prices? Possibly OT  (Read 3384 times)
Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2008, 07:40:11 AM »

The thing the gets me is Our Government ( Canadian)  wants people to recycle, reduce, re-use Yet they stop people from doing just that for the stupidist reasons. I recently met up with a fellow that Built a refining plant that can produce between 200 and 300 gallons per hour.  He takes used oil and converts it to Clear diesel.  He is 85 years old and is tired of fighting the bureaucrats.  They don't like the location of where was doing it, They don't like the looks of the tanks he gathers the oil in or how he stores it. Yet this plant sits idle. He is hoping to  sell it to someone younger so they can dis assemble it and move it to somewhere "they will want it "  The sad part is he likly needs to train someone on how to use it and at 85 time must be running out.

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
mikelutestanski

Mikes Metal Mistress

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2008, 11:09:45 AM »

Hello:   
     The last thing anyone might want to hear  is a flash I had last night.   
       Lets nationalize the oil  and set the fees based on the actual costs of drilling,refining distribution etc.  Guarranteed profit margin built in   no speculation and hedging.  what you see is what you get.   Most of the rest of the worlds oil is owned by a few governments and in the Soudis case by one family albeit a big family but a family nevertheless.
       Is it not the American way   .   no its not ;    but the rest of the world is not playing fair either. 
     The oil companies developed the Saudi industry start to finish  and made some horrific profits and paid the Arabs next to nothing but in the end   they lost the whole industry and the oil.
    By the way On the nuke thing  in response to a comment  about Yucca flats.  DOnt know if it is in service yet but the bigger problem is that most states have transportation laws against moving spent fuel.   
    Where I came from  Oswego NY has 3 nukers sitting by Lake Ontario..    nine mile 1 started in 65 or so  with a reserve storage of 10 years .    Well guess what they are still filling the same pool  50 years later.   2 other plants are nearby that are now under private management.   
        I will do some research on the Yucca flats thing just to see whats cookin..
       Happy Bussin       mike             By the way..  I am not going to quit bussin.  but things have to proceed at a slower pace because my income is fixed.   I can only hope that this repower job helps enough to make up for the lost travel time   The engine will be installed for the final time today or tomorrow.    hook up  and testing   next      mike

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R
kingfa39

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2008, 12:14:01 PM »

seen a car with a sticker that said who needs eneimies when we have congress, it wont change because too many people are getting rich and the american people will not do anything but complain a
lyndon
1988 MC-9 DDC 6V92TA Fuller T-11605D

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2008, 10:53:38 PM »

Who says petroleum is a nonrenewal resource?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article4133668.ece

There's your new technology, maybe not ready for the big time, but many more developments like this in the next few years won't surprise me. We survived the '70s (complete with line-ups at the pumps!) and we'll survive this crisis, too. My opinion, of course, but I've always been an optimist!

Somewhat off topic:

As I write this, we hear an ad stating, "We have to put climate change in reverse." Lynn wonders which direction that would be, now that it's not PC to call it Global Warming after such a cold winter. Good question! (I'll bet dinosaurs wondered the same thing; now we flame them in our buses.)

Don

Don
1988 MC-9
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2008, 06:25:42 AM »

Don

Haven't you read the previous posts.  Oil is a FINITE resource. To think otherwise would be absurd - some guy told us so.

To be optimistic is passe.  We need to begin planning the last trip in our bus so when we run out of fuel we are where we want to spend the rest of our lives.

Only king tut will be able to afford to buy oil. The rest of us are out of luck.

Excuse me while I pull my tongue out of my cheek so I can finish this post.

Of course there are solutions to the current situation. Some are better than others and some will show up sooner than others. We will see competition for biofuels ethanol and things we never even thought of.

I'm not sure that we will do better or worse with government subsidies but between drilling for more oil (which takes time -- that's why they call it exploration) and developing new resources we will do fine. AND the really cool part is that we here in the United States have some of the best technology to draw on so no matter who figures it out where we can really capitalize is in the development be it new oil fields or new technology.

Good link thank you for posting it

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2008, 10:04:02 AM »

That is amazing technology.  Let's hope they are successful at scaling it up.

With that in mind, I'll clarify, traditional petroleum pumped from the ground is a finite resource, but probably has large reserves that simply haven't been tapped yet.  Of course if bug oil works out, then who needs to go to the expense and trouble of pumping it out of the ground and refining it?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: