Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 09:56:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brake parts  (Read 1635 times)
tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« on: June 10, 2006, 09:27:11 PM »

I know the brakes on my 4106 are not unique to buses, Can any one tell me what make and model drum and blocks I have and where is the best source for parts. Don't think I want to pay shipping on drums if I don't have to.
                      Tucson

we do things three ways,good,fast or cheap. PICK TWO!
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 05:21:00 AM »

I would check with Luke at US Coach (888 COACH34). I do not where you are located, but he will have the parts and may be able to tell you somewhere closer for those heavy drums.  Hope this helps, Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Burgermeister

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 06:08:34 AM »

If you have to replace,  (and if the same axle as the 4104) try to find the (front and rear) brakes and spindles off a FLX 870,  a "switchout"  increases steer angle and provides much larger brakes.

Saw this on a 4104 at Bussin 2002, or so!   Great upgrade.
skihor

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 06:29:40 AM »

Ott's friction supply in Portland Oregon. They gave me a smokin deal on my 5A MCI drums/bearings/seals/studs/shoes. I asked them for dealer price and they gave it to me. Might ofset shipping cost.
tucsontattoo

1962 4106

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 09:45:39 AM »

Thanks guys, had planed to call Luke tomorrow just to see what shipping would be on drums.Not sure I need them yet, but they look a little thin.
   My buddy Frank has a source in San Diego but they are not balanced. I know the only way these drums are serviceable is if the drum and wheel set are balanced as a unit.If you are a believer in balancing media (beads. powders, golf balls,etc) this is acceptable. I still can't get my old brain around that  whole magic balancing beans idea, give me wheel weights and an old bubble stand....
  wonder how much of the FLX brake system you would need.to do that change? Leaving here in 3 weeks probably don't have enough time to take on a major change over like that. Would sure be nice to have bigger brakes though..
   Will deff. give that place in Oregon a call tomorrow also

Jack, I'm in Tucson              Thanks for the help guys    Tucson 

we do things three ways,good,fast or cheap. PICK TWO!
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 10:01:07 AM »

Tucson,
Luke or JD @ C&J Bus Repair might be able to give you the part #'s where you could check the local truck supply houses and not have to pay to ship those monsters. If I had a clue I'd give ya the #'s myself.

C&J Bus Repair's # is 800-228-7249

Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Shocked Cool Roll Eyes  Knuckle Roll Eyes Cool Shocked Grin Cheesy Wink Smiley

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
OneLapper

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 12:04:05 PM »

Tucson,

If you can wait until Monday, I get you the Fleet Pride part numbers for rear drums, shoes and brake hardware.  I just installed all of these, plus axle seals, on my 4106.  I paid $150 per drum and $80 for a full set of rear brake linings.  The brake hardware kits were $56 each.  The local Fleet Pride had them in stock, to boot.

Mark

OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com
Bosshosssport96

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 12:17:37 PM »

GREG..........Gm wasn't one to be changing drum sizes on their buses,for the most part you'll find their the same,I believe Luke iis charging somewhere between $225.00 and up for the rears,and a little less for the fronts.Here in San Diego I can get you a rear for $165.00.I can't remember if their is a ballancing medium in thoses tires of yours,if you put in a balancing medium,you won't have to have a balance drum.As you are aware I have 80 golffballs in my set-up,8 for each tire.....Frank.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 01:05:23 PM »

The shipping cost on these parts is a killer. Take the parts to a local truck brake shop and they will take care of you. Tucson is bound to have dozens of these places.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: