Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 07:45:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: question for moderators  (Read 2800 times)
Blacksheep

« on: June 18, 2008, 07:57:43 PM »

Is it REALLY necessary for posters to quote each and every word of a particular poster? Seems there have been some lengthy conversations lately about oil etc and a lot of them are quoted which really does take up space not to mention time trying to decipher where one starts and stops?
Also if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it?
Thanks...
BS
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 09:16:24 PM »

Well, Today I was probably one of the ones you are referring to.  I often do trim down quotes.  But on the one I did this evening, I felt it important to note the text I was referring to since it was a very busy thread and my whole point was that I felt the entire post presented excellent ideas and was well stated.  In highly active threads where many people are making points in rapid fire fashion and it often rolls over to a new page view, I find it beneficial to see the related text close to the current one I'm reading.

As to the readability, this is nowhere near the problem in this forum that it is in Yahoo groups where there is no formating.   In this forum, when reading it in the browser window, the formating makes it very easy to follow and discern quotes from fresh text.   Now if someone is trying to just follow a thread by reading the email notifications, I can see your point.  The lack of formating makes it difficult to follow just like with a yahoo group.  And that is even more true when abreviated multiple quotes are used.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 05:23:02 AM »

Ace,

I actually like when quotes are used, but only if edited to reflect what the responder is referring too!

Just as HTR has stated, it is very useful in a busy topic

Many times I will just type; Ace wrote: "Something Ace said" and change the color to let others know I am quoting.

But I also dislike the large half page quotes, when only a line was needed.  Angry

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 08:59:51 AM »

slow news day...

back to work, smoke break is over?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print