Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 11:08:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DMV rule regarding conversion in California  (Read 10414 times)
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 03:43:30 PM »

It isnt registered as a "housecar", "rv" or anything. It is registered as a "BU" which is cally gov speak for BUS. I have no idea how the PO did it, but he registered it as a non commercial BUS lol The seats are gone, but the only "living" stuff in there is a portable coleman stove, a few mattresses, a couple ice chests and a bucket (for emergencies lol)

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 10:07:51 PM »

It isnt registered as a "housecar", "rv" or anything. It is registered as a "BU" which is cally gov speak for BUS.

I had the same thing happen -- and only found out about it this week, when it was time to renew and it came back as a CV (with those big fees), though it has noncommercial plates.

In this case, someone at DMV didn't put in all of the information on the inspection form, so the title type didn't change.

The difference was over $250, and I have sent an email to DMV to see if they owe me a refund for the amount I paid last year.
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 10:29:35 PM »

So let me get this straight........

1) You showed them that it was converted to either a "housecar" or a "recreational vehicle" and then they did not change the registration classification from a bus?

2) You had to actually have it looked at by someone from the DMV so they could see it was now a motorhome?

3) They actually gave you non commercial plates but still kept it classified as a bus?

Im going to the DMV tomorrow to pay my tags and am baffled as to what I am driving lol (they would be too) But in bus converter language, it is a shell  Grin

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 11:13:55 PM »

Teresa -

'm going to the DMV tomorrow to pay my tags and am baffled as to what I am driving, lol (they would be too) But in bus converter language, it is a shell 

Instead of taking your car, take the bus!

But don't use the word "bus" around the technician.  Tell them you're "remodeling a Class A diesel pusher housecar/motorhome," and would they like to come outside and take a look?

See how easy that is?   Grin

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 07:35:05 AM »

To expand on RJ's 45ft remark, it actually is over 40ft, you need a class B non commercial license.  With a normal class C license, you can drive up to a 3 axle housecar AND pull up to a 10,000lb trailer.  No weight specified.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 09:11:57 AM »

What happened to me was an "Earn while you learn" situation.  The gal at the desk had no clue what to do in converting a vehicle from one type to another, and she didn't tell the computer to make the change.  She got a set of normal plates, typed that number in and the computer accepted it.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: