Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 08:42:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update; Stuck in Orlando! Have I mentioned how much I hate bringing buses to FL?  (Read 714 times)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« on: June 22, 2008, 06:34:18 PM »

OK well it seems, as much good that I found in FL after the bad was still out weighted by the rest of a bad trip home!  While at the Flying J in Lake Park, GA I was fueling and going around checking things on the bus when I found the top main hose coming off the water pump leaking around where the clamp was. I shut the engine down, and started to try and tighten the clamp when I realized that the hose was already pinched because the other mechanic had accidentally over tightened the clamp! So I re-looked the situation over, refilled to lost coolant on the reservoir tank, restarted the engine, and watched it with the radiator cap loosened. And it was barely seeping so I left the cap loose, and headed toward where I was meeting my relief driver at near Atlanta. And was going to change the hose there. About 100 mile up the road I stopped at a rest area and checked it. It was down quite a bit on water and was spraying out a small but steady stream of water now. So I called Robert and told him to find a parts store and pick up a case of antifreeze and a piece of 2.5" hose about a foot long, and to be prepared to come meet me somewhere. And I headed on toward him, then I remembered I have an Uncle & cousin who live about 45 miles up the rd @ Warner Robins, GA. I called Robert back and asked  him to call Duane or Uncle Gary and see if one of them could pick up the parts & meet me at the Pilot at exit # 146 and assist me in changing that hose!  When I pulled into the Pilot I found a spot near the curb with a drain, and parked next to it. I got out and change clothes, and started draining it after it drained a while I attempted to reach in and loosen the hose, but things were were so tight, and it was still HOT! So I went and put on a long sleeve shirt, and just dove in and did it while burning and scratching the heck out of my arms. Then once I got the clamps loose, I discovered that there was no way the hose was coming off with out the pipe that had been welded being removed. Well in checking things out more I found out that I had to take off a different pipe in order to get to the one I needed too! All in all it took 2.5 hrs to do what I'd hoped to be  15 minute job! Now part of that time was spent allowing it to cool as I took my time taking it apart and put it back together. So I still insist I hate taking our buses to FL! LOL! Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Sojourner

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 07:19:12 PM »

Sorry about your bad experience with coolant leaking even after it repaired.

I assume the repair man didn’t pressurize check the cooling system? ? ? ? ?
I try to recheck my repair work and pressurized with Stant tester to about 20 lbs to see if it not seeping or more leaks elsewhere.

About clamp too tight to cause it to pinch…..I think it mean that it cause rubber to roll over rubber under clamp’s band. Am I right or wrong? If so, leak tester would show it.

Hope your arms and hands are Ok.

Take care.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry

cody

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 07:54:49 AM »

Wouldn't it have been handy to have that kid that you got to help us with my transmission line along at the time lol, that kid was built like a snake, he could wiggle into anywhere lol, I never would have believed he could get in thru the a/c compartment, around all the wires and hoses and into the back area of my motor to work on top of the transmission but he did and smiled the entire time, was worth the money just to see him go into there and not have to be winched back out lol.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 09:48:54 AM »

Sorry about your bad experience with coolant leaking even after it repaired.

I assume the repair man didn’t pressurize check the cooling system? ? ? ? ?
I try to recheck my repair work and pressurized with Stant tester to about 20 lbs to see if it not seeping or more leaks elsewhere.

About clamp too tight to cause it to pinch…..I think it mean that it cause rubber to roll over rubber under clamp’s band. Am I right or wrong? If so, leak tester would show it.

Hope your arms and hands are Ok.

Take care.

FWIW

Sojourn for Christ, Jerry

No it actually cut into the rubber and sliced the hose around the band of the clamp. And yes I have to agree that pressure testing is a preferred method of insuring that the job is done correctly, however this repair was done at night in a hotel parking lot not in a fully equipped garage. Also I'm sure there is probably an adapter to adapt up to the extra large radiator cap size of my Setra(s), but to this day I haven't had or seen one! On that note I'm certainly glad that you mentioned it, as I am going to check into and get me some kind of adapter for my Setra(s) for my pressure tester. Thanks for the idea, it is something I have really overlooked. Even though I had realized it's size before, I just never took the time to be sure and be able to adapt.
Grin  BK  Grin

PS yes thank you my hands and arms are fine, the only remaining evidence is multiple tiny scratches. Looks as though I was involved in a "cat fight" & Holly and I haven't even had an argument or disagreement yet! (plus she wasn't there LOL!)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 09:52:36 AM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Dreamscape

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 10:02:24 AM »

BK,

I hear something ringing! Do You? LOL

I hope this new relationship works out for you.

I'm sorry we could not hook up. I was very busy with 6 days of absorbing lots of new stuff, my brain is full and I have stretch marks on my head.  Grin

Good Luck My Friend,

Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: